Author Topic: Tare weight ??  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Animall

• Sleeping Bag User
Tare weight ??
« on: February 08, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »
Dose anyone know ? Is the tare weight just the trailer or as sold with tent , toolbox and all poles etc ? My tare is 850 kg on plate and loaded on weigh brige is 1380 kg even with frige , ice box water etc there is no way that lot comes to 500 kg , thanks for any help

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: Tare weight ??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
I would venture to say that in many instances the Tare weight is the bare weight of the trailer only. All the extra stuff must then be added to the tare.  Some manufacturers may include the tent, but I reckon many would not!

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »
If the trailer is sold as a camper, the Tare would include the trailer, tent ,storage boxes, water tank etc. .

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »
Tare weight is calculated with the water tank empty (if you have one). A full 80lt tank will add 80kg to the total.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
2009 Coromal 452

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »
If the trailer is sold as a camper, the Tare would include the trailer, tent ,storage boxes, water tank etc. .

I agree, it "should" but I don't think the trailer registration requirements across all states actually stipulate this for CT's.

On our originally Vic registered CT, the tare weight requirement is noted as "optional" on the plate, and is stated at 550kg. I know that this doesn't include the 80kg or so of additional annexes and poles that came with it, and probably doesn't include the front box, stone guard and kitchen unit that were add on extras. My guess that as supplied its tare is closer to 750 kg dry.

As its fitted with brakes, the manufacturer has probably acknowledged  that the optioned up dry weight is so close to the unbraked limit that brakes need to be fitted as a matter  of course, as the laden weight will exceed 750.

So, IMO, it's a grey area, and buyers need to fully explore prior to purchase, especially when looking at units that come with a list of options a mile long.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:38:24 AM by Mace »
2009 Coromal 452

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »
In a perfect world the plated tare would  include the bolted on accessories whether they be tent poles, fridge, spare etc for a camper, or the bullbar, roof rack, etc for a 4by.

But the plated tare can be just the bare basics (ie bare box trailer in the case of a basic camper) without tent, spare etc.

I think a lot of the cheaper manufacturers (as has been mentioned on here numerous times) record the lightest tare they can get away with ie 500kg then give the trailer an ATM of 750kg so they can get away without fitting brakes.

Pity the poor customer who purchases one of these and find they have reached the ATM with the supplied bolt ons (tent etc) as they drive out of the suppliers yard, even before adding personal effects, water, fridge etc.

Peter H
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Animall

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
As I thiught , thanks all . Not very helpful when buying a trailer to tow with a smaller car and you work off tare though

Offline Humphreythebear

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
If buying new - ask for the weigh bridge ticket , and the gas and electric certificates. Will solve many questions down the line .
The other "out " many of the smaller importers / manufacturers use is that you - the purchaser , organises the rego . ( actually some one the larger ones too )

as with any larger $ value purchase ask if it has compliance .....

It's a little off putting to find that you can't use your new trailer due to any or all of the above points .
Ask for the ' drive away ' price .
Outback Sturt , Holden SS Ute and a MTB for the Rough Stuff

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »
As I thiught , thanks all . Not very helpful when buying a trailer to tow with a smaller car and you work off tare though

Your all up weight is pretty similar to ours, not hard to bump it up to that level.

Easy to have 200kg of water, gas and basics before you start putting the "extras" in like food, cooking gear, camp ovens,  etc.

We all tend to take what we think we mite need, not what we actually use!

2009 Coromal 452