Author Topic: 4WD Touring Australia - survey  (Read 16951 times)

Offline Carlisle Rogers

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.4wdtouring.com.au
4WD Touring Australia - survey
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »
Hey guys!

We've just started running an online survey to figure out what you, the readers of our magazine, like and don't like. My wife says I just do whatever I want, but I promise I'll take any and all of your answers on board. We want to make sure this magazine isn't just the best in my eyes, but in yours too.

Oh, and we're giving away a couple of fan packs worth $1,100 with:
Two GME handheld UHFs, a pair of Xray driving lights, 12 month sub to the mag plus two caps, two stubby coolers, two tshirts, a vehicle sticker and DVDs for Series 1 & 2.

Fill out the survey here and win, or, at least feel like a winner:
http://www.4wdtouringaustralia.com.au/survey/

Thanks - Carlisle
Living the Dream

Offline 02-SR5

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 4WD Touring Australia - survey
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »
Just don't turn it into another spam magazine flogging Roo/Tigerz every scone page.

I would like to read unbiased stories on products, not another product endorsement.

Travel stories and a true unbiased stories of camper trailers.

We don't have this in Australia anymore.
2011 Challenger with some mods

2012 Lifestyle Explorer

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »
Done.

Just some feedback though - some questions didn't give the option of more than one answer eg: Who do you go camping with?  It would just let you put in the one option so I had to leave the kids at home!

Same with the accessories question - I have brands from different manufacturers but didn't allow that option.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
Just some feedback though - some questions didn't give the option of more than one answer eg: Who do you go camping with?  It would just let you put in the one option so I had to leave the kids at home!

Agreed and some questions force you to have an answer when there isn't a suitable option, such as what did you buy after reading about it in a mag, my answer is never.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Brucer

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »
I can only really say what I like/don't like about another popular action mag that is often mentioned on this forum..

Like...

Comparos, e.g. fridges, tyres, etc with actual field testing
Technical articles e.g. brakes servicing, etc with pictures
DVD's are usually entertaining

Don't like ...

Plugging of sponsor products presented as editorial
Accepting advertising from known scammers
Language, writing style
Articles that seem useful on the face of it but provide little actual information, e.g. campsite article telling you how great it is with a few pictures thrown in but missing the vital info one would need to decide whether to go there. such as how many sites, shade, CT access, facilities, directions, firewood, water, etc.
They often seem only to be aimed at patrol or LC owners.

I was watching an episode of Top Gear (UK) and they were testing cars for Caravaners, only in typical TG style they made it entertaining. They raced car and caravan to the campsite over some pretty rough ground. The caravans were totally destroyed by the time they got there. It might be a joke and not taken seriously but it was different and it was fun. If I were watching say Pat Callinan review a CT you know it's a sponsored slot and all you get is a puff piece about the CT. At least TG will tell you if they reckon something is crap and that's why the show has such a following. I know this is feedback for a magazine and not a TV show but the part that translates is the integrity you get only by being fair dinkum in reviews and copping the heat if the sponsor doesn't like it. It may not seem like good business but on the other hand TG has been very successful.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:48:25 PM by Brucer »
Outback Campers Birdsville, Nissan Pathfinder R51

Offline broncos11

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
Done. I also agree that it's important not to flog sponsors products too much. Some similar outdoor magazines/ TV shows are turning into infomercials for sponsors products. On another note, I would also like an increase to your TV show to 1 hour.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:51:30 PM by broncos11 »
2003 IFS V8 100 series

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »
Done
more destination stories from others ( hint hint !!!!)
 ;D
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »
Done. I would like to see more of vehicle build ups for touring like many of the vehicles on this forum
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

scarps

4WD Touring Australia - survey
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:12:37 PM »
Carlisle, as requested I completed your survey, you'll see my answers.  I will actively never buy nor read your magazine again.
Clearly I'm not your target audience as you couldn't even list my 4WD which is currently outselling all but one of the rest you listed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:32:19 AM by scarps »

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
You are going to get a lot of inaccurate data, maybe, by looking at the design of the survey, that is what you want.

It seems I can't proceed past question 22/23 unless i saw an accessory in a magazine and bought it, or intend on buying something from a magazine in the next 12 months. i've got no intention on buying anything i saw in a magazine, but maybe you don't want the advertisers to know that.
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
I didn't begin the survey as to be honest I think the T&Cs suck!
Not only does one have to volunteer their own time to complete the survey, one also has to submit something at question 38 (whatever that is as it isn't listed in the T&Cs) which will be judged as the best and then win.

So is it a survey or a game of skill competition or more accurately a game of skill competition disguised as a survey........?

crackacoldie

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »
Done, although I to would like to have answered that I travel with both my wife and kids, not one or the other.

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
Hi Carlisle, I suggest you put more time into designing your survey, cant help feeling my time was wasted, as I was unable to answer the questions accurately. 

Offline Aussie Iron

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »
Hi Carlisle, I suggest you put more time into designing your survey, cant help feeling my time was wasted, as I was unable to answer the questions accurately.
[/quote

Same here as a lot of the survey is not answerable by me as I don't buy any magazines and I'm not planing as buying any products that are advertised in it. The survey is very biased to your magazine so I would believe a lot of people will be giving wrong answers just to enter your competition.

Dan.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 01:35:15 AM »
Saddly l have more than enough crap to cart around now . l wont be ripping out the plastic as l have mostly all l need , if anything l will sell off some of it  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:13 AM »
I started your survey and am unable to finish
as my vehicle not listed also agree with others
on not enough choice in answers
2013 BT50 GT Auto, 2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 05:48:06 AM »
Cheap way to buy a mailing list?

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »
I did the survey just so I could see what all these comments are about.
There is certainly room for a lot of improvement in the survey answer options.
Doubt I shall win with my Q 38 answer  ;D
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »
Did the survey. Unfortunately the answers aren't truthful as the survey questions were poorly designed.  I had the same problems that other above have posted.

A survey needs to be trialled on at least 30-40 people before you decide to use it. That way it will identify problems that we have encountered.

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado and Sportscruiser 1550
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 07:14:02 AM »
Wouldn't waste my time. Surveys can be twisted to say what the company wants to see. Sadley by the above comments this seems to be true.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 07:30:11 AM »
Carlisle,
unfortunately I have to agree with many of the other responses - the survey design is poor and it's doing more to irritate people and giving you incorrect answers.

Do yourself a favour and pull the survey, redesign it (happy to be part of the test group) and the put it back up.

There is to much work goes into making a magazine & accompanying show for it to be ruined by a survey that irritates people.

BTW I drive a Mazda, so I selected "No 4WD" as my model wasn't listed

Better options would be:-
Toyota Hilux
Toyota Landcruiser
Toyota Other 4WD
Nissan Navara
Nissan Patrol
Nissan Pathfinder
Ford / Mazda
Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Other etc...

and in a seperate question get a vehicle age eg
0-3 years old
3-5 years old
5-10 years
10+

After all even the Toyota 200 series is now a few years old, and to say I drive a Patrol gives you someting like 30+ years of vehicle history to choose from (just making a point)

Also have to agree with the points made - don't become an advertorial, don't take ad's from spamers / rip off merchants, don't let your standard drop.

I don't subscribe, but got a free copy of one of your magazines and the production / photography was outstanding.
Good enough that I didn't renew my Overlander subscription so I have some choice in what to subscribe to next.

Anthony

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 08:29:02 AM »
Tried to do the survey, would not allow me past q 23 as I could not answer it honestly, so I just quit out of my survey.  ???  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 08:42:57 AM »
Carlisle,
I have always enjoyed your show on TV and received the January issue of 4WD Touring as a gift subscription from one of the family.  Having read this issue cover to cover can I offer the following (I hope) constructive criticism:

1. 4WD Touring strikes me as a magazine that is struggling to find quality content. Articles seem to be padded out to to fill space in a way that has nothing to do with their relevance. Why a double page spread for a chicken recipe?

2. You write very well indeed and are a great philosopher; Craig writes well too. But a 4WD magazine is not a place for whimsical prose. Please stick to the subject matter and lose the stream of consciousness stuff.

3. Please put meaningful captions next to each photo, explaining what the photo means - on the same page.

4. Size pictures in proportion to their relevance - not as a means to fill the page.

5. If you do a piece on a location, include a mud map of the area.

6. I read the road test of the new Prado and leaned almost nothing about it. Words like "Fantastic addition to the line-up" have no place in an independent test.

7. Liked your UHF radio piece, but more space could have been given to aerial selection and less to oversized pictures of the sets.

8. If I want to read about fishing I will but a fishing magazine. This was four pages wasted.

9. The electrical piece was good, but it did not need two pages.

10. The dual battery system was incomplete with no mention of DC-DC chargers.

11. Two pages for two book reviews in a 4WD mag? C'mon!

12.  Be careful putting type over pictures, which makes the type hard to read.

13. You can't say "so-and-so makes, hands down, the best canvas aftermarket products for 4WDs on the market", without looking at other products. Heaven knows there's plenty of space in the magazine to do it.

14. Who cares about  Tomcar accepting Bitcoin or whether  XRay Vision has a new logo? Why make space for stuff like that?

15. Why are you running graveyard advertising at the back of the magazine instead of mixing it in with the copy?

Carlisle, I like you and I like what you are trying to do. But I think you must stand fast to maintain your commercial credibility and resist the temptation to produce a photographer's magazine which perhaps, in your heart of hearts, you would really prefer to do. Go for relevance, quality content and credibility and the magazine will have a big future.
My advice (as a fellow publisher) would be to get your ad sales people working harder and spend more time and effort on content.
Good Luck!
Keith

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:07:29 AM by KeithB »
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
I subscribed for a year- your first year- sadly I felt that that was wasted.
I felt that you and your employed staff were trying to do too much in terms of the articles, what was lacking was the "family" side of things

I mean we buy a camper trailer to explore the country side with the family- usually, I can get by with just a swag and see wonderful places, but with the family  come the need to take more stuff- camper trailer, that cannot be conveyed in print with a boys trip

there is only so many times you can read about the "iconic"  places and see pictures of these in magazines, what makes a trip/ destination different to someone else's is the "experiences" you get.  Reading your articles had me thinking sometimes you were rehashing national parks/ or tourism brochures

anyway my 2 cents why I did not renew my subscription- I found nothing to make me read the articles, I would flick through the pretty pics, skim read and have the mag put down in 30mins, never to be picked up again....

will check out the survey and add comment if I can.
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Carlisle Rogers

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.4wdtouring.com.au
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 10:18:35 AM »
Wow, thank you for the responses all - both the constructive (and vitriolic) feedback.
To those of you who love and understand what we do with this magazine, all I can say is that I continue to pour blood, sweat, tears and bug spray into every page of this thing. And I want it to be better each issue, which is why we're asking for your help.

I want to thank you again for your points RE the survey's weak points. We're rebuilding this today, taking on board all of your advice, and the wisdom of hindsight. I hope it is better when it returns later. Some of you suggested a focus group, and I have to thank you for your time and consideration in actually letting me know what issues you found. It is important to me to find out more about who you are, what you want and what you don't want. This isn't a 'cheap mailing list'. I can talk to you all for free here. It is simply a way to engage with our readers in a meaningful way. I hope that I haven't offended anyone by leaving out their 4WD of choice, or implying that you only travel with the wife or kids. Frankly, the software puts into place some default settings and we weren't aware of those limitations.

As for the comments on the magazine that have bubbled up thus far - We aren't competing with the other magazines on the stand. Competing with 4WD Action would require such a drop in our standards that none of you would bother writing back to this post. 4WD Touring Australia is, essentially, one man's quest to find Australia. So if it seems like we're short-staffed, we aren't, we have a few dedicated people who are passionate about this. We are not a corporation designed to strip you of your hard-earned dollars in exchange for cobbled-together, thinly-veiled product endorsements. We are a small family business trying to create a 4WD magazine that isn't just broad in its coverage of the country, but deep. I want to create deep histories of the places I visit. I want there to be inner maps hidden in the pieces, not just physical ones.

Keith, you took the time to write a detailed and heartfelt response. I'd like to take the time to get back to your points individually, not in this post. But, one thing which seemed to bother you was the book/ record reviews page. On the surface, I can see why that would seem superfluous. I guess I'm guilty of assuming that all 4WDers are seekers, and all seekers look for truth wherever they can find it. I find it in the last dying moments of a sunset, and in a book written by a fellow traveller who has found his own truths. I find it fishing for barramundi in places I can only get to with a well-equipped 4WD, but I also find it in the lyrics and sounds of Pink Floyd, Roy Harper or T Rex.

We'll always travel deeper with 4WD Touring Australia. Without that inner journey, why would the mag exist? Simply to steal a few readers from Overlander? There is a philosophy behind what we do here, and some will fall into it, as I fell into the books and records that shaped who I am. We'll never be 'commercial sell-outs'. Take a closer look at who advertises, and who doesn't, in 4WD Touring Australia. There has never been, and there will never be, a manufacturer advertised in this mag that I don't personally respect and admire.

We're doing things differently than they've ever been done in this industry. That is going to cost me some readers, I know. But it won't cost me my self-respect, and that's ultimately what drives this magazine to be what it is, not just a clone of those 30-year-old corporate dinosaurs.

Carlisle

Living the Dream