Author Topic: Why do we price drop?!?!  (Read 12892 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• Tent User
Why do we price drop?!?!
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »
Swaggers, I have to ask a question...

Now, before I do, let me go on record as saying that I am guilty of this as well... So I'm not having a go at anyone  :angel:

Why is it that we list our campers at an aspirational price and then drop it 2 - 3 times before it gets sold? What I have noticed is that I've started to expect that campers will be posted and the price WILL drop.

Having done this myself, I'm just questioning why we do?

Cheers
Cheers
'fly

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: Why do we price drop?!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »

It is because the seller thinks its a great price but the buyer does not. We all see value differently plus we compare what else we can buy at a similiar price with simliar features.

The old saying price will fix everything and as a buyer we all want a so called bargin.

Next time you look at buying something worth alot of money ask yourself " at what price would I see value and buy it"

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »
Adding to McGirrs points which pretty much nail on head.

I see it as theres 3 ways to sell things

Cheap - moves quickly
Reasonable price - what I think its worth
Top $ - Im willing to sit on it for 5 years.

Just cause someone paid $50k for it 12 yrs ago and a new one is $80k, doesnt mean the used one is still worth 50k either.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:17:56 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hefty

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
Another well known saying that fits is:
"It's only worth what someone will pay for it"

The price the seller puts on his camper isn't just affected by what he thinks it is worth but also by the reason he's selling it and, to be honest, probably an optimistic  opinion that it should sell in no time. As it takes longer this optimism changes to the realism of "I need to get this thing sold so I can (insert reason here) and they are willing to compromise a little to get it done, thus they lower the price.

The opposite is happening simultaneously with the buyer.
The price the buyer thinks represents value is not quite there but their interest has been caught by the features of the camper so they keep looking at the thread every now and then and think more and more about what they might do with this camper if they could afford it. They wait and watch to see if the price will come down at all. Even if it doesn't come down enough, they still get excited by the fact it has moved down at all and as such, they will probably pay a little more than their initial idea of value if they are worried someone else sees it as being worth more than they originally did.
You could almost quantify their enthusiasm to buy and sell as 2 graphs with the sale occurring at the intersection of the 2 lines. (Wow, I just turned myself into a nerd in one sentence!)

Cheers!
Jono.
"Roads?!...Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Offline murmar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »
Nothing worse than selling something in 5 minutes and then thinking "gee, I could have sold that for a higher price".

Doesn't hurt to ask a high price. You only need one sucker :)

A high price also gives you room to bargain. Knock 20% off the price and the buyer thinks they've got a bargain.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
Nothing worse than selling something in 5 minutes and then thinking "gee, I could have sold that for a higher price".

A high price also gives you room to bargain. Knock 20% off the price and the buyer thinks they've got a bargain.

And that my friend is why i will never pay what you ask. You refer to your consumer as a sucker and wonder why you stuff will not move
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline 02-SR5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »
It's just not campers either,

How is it you can buy any item and if you ask is that the best price you can do, they always seem to come back with a lower price. Just goes to show much the Australian consumer is being ripped by supporting their local seller.

Hence, I have no problems sending my dollar off shore.
2011 Challenger with some mods

2012 Lifestyle Explorer

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:21:59 PM »

This thread could go off the rails so I will stick to when we sell things privately.

When i bought my cruiser the seller wanted $23,000. I said what would you take cash, he said $19,000.

I called him back a day later and offered $17,000 and he said yes.

He was heading back overseas and if he did not sell it that weekend he would get a car yard to sell it for him. I probably could have got it cheaper but was happy at $17,000.

Perception is that put the price high and offer a big discount or wait for a wood duck to come along. That does not work.

Buyers are alot savy these days thanks to the internet. They shop around and do their homework before buying as we all work too hard to earn the money we spend.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »
Quote from: McGirr
Buyers are alot savy these days thanks to the internet. They shop around and do their homework before buying as we all work too hard to earn the money we spend.
Yes and no.. some people compare sandstone with diamonds without knowing.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »

It also depends on how desperate the seller is.  Some of them practically give things away because they don't have the time to sit around waiting. 

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »

It also depends on how desperate the seller is.  Some of them practically give things away because they don't have the time to sit around waiting.
agree.. Dont buy until you sell. Theres several of those on here very desperate.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »
i agree with most of the comments . but how do you know the price . there is so many variables with campers

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
i agree with most of the comments . but how do you know the price . there is so many variables with campers

Buyers will soon tell you.

Mark

Marschy

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »
Some people over capitalize when they purchase their CT as well.

Then can't afford to go camping due to having to pay finance, then try to sell the camper and get close to the purchase price back, only to realize, no-one is going to pay that price because warranties are not transferable.

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Buyers will soon tell you.

Mark
so true

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
Quote from: Marschy
then try to sell the camper and get close to the purchase price back, only to realize, no-one is going to pay that price because warranties are not transferable.
Big time.
Also
- people trying to keep up with the Jones'... Their mate has a nice shiney new one, so must I. OOps I dont have the spare cash he has laying around... IM in Shit.
- saying "paid $50,000 8mths ago sell for $47k" Chances are you could get one new for nearly that now.

I think there are some dreamers out there in relation to price, specially top end trailers that are 8-10yrs old asking near new prices... but I also would hate to be selling anything now.

When you do a spreadsheet with accessories on a new chinese trailer compared to a 4-5yr old aussie one, the accessories are nearly the same, but the quality isnt - but the price is devistating for those that bought Australian..
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 05:25:29 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 05:14:49 PM »
Death, Debt and Divorce always helps with the price you pay too.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Ashmo

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »
As a recent purchaser, with a limited budget, I realized very quickly that most people were asking for a near new price. I found patience, research and negotiation worked well
Ashmo
Blog of our adventures http://Camper444.blogspot.com.au

Offline Smithyworld

• Tent User
Why do we price drop?!?!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »
My opinion is that it doesn't matter what price you pay as long as you walk feeling that you got a good deal.

Chris and Angie
Ford Ranger Wildtrak & Jayco Outback Eagle 2013
Www.chrissmithphotography.com.au
Chris

Ford Ranger Wildtrak and Jayco Outback Eagle 2013

www.chrissmithphotography.com.au

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 09:32:49 PM »
What's this nonsense about suckers? Willing buyer, willing seller equals win, win and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Having said that recreational products are a luxury item and when times get tough they're the first market sector to suffer a fall in demand and when that happens, where is the bottom and at what point on the slope are you selling. On the other side of the coin you have hungry Chinese suppliers offering a cheap alternative, further depressing prices. I don't know my Jayco's worth because I want to use it til I or it drops so it's value is somewhat academic.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »
As a buyer patience is all well and good, but 10 weekends spent browsing/looking/test driving/ cars/camper/houses or what ever is not actually worth saving 3 k in my book.

sometimes, you just need to pick one and go with it.

from a seller I always laugh at, " the camper/car/house owes me XYZ thousand, with what ive done to it" well you better talk to your camper/car/house about what it owes you, but this is what Ill pay...

its a funny game

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »
My opinion is that it doesn't matter what price you pay as long as you walk feeling that you got a good deal.

It's much better to walk knowing you got a good product

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

true, though presumably Smithy infers that 'getting a good deal' involves 'knowing you have a good product' ??

just saying...GT

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »
I was taught, that your first loss us your best loss.

Sometimes it's better to sell it cheaper, sell it quicker, then you can use that money for other prospects.
This is more on the business side of using that money to make more. Stock taking up space is costing money also.
guess you could also refer that to a CT sale also. Perhaps using that money to fund another purchase or use for another purchase that is more in line with current times.

If all that makes sense?
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Smithyworld

• Tent User
Why do we price drop?!?!
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »

I certainly wouldn't consider buying something unless I deemed it a good product which also forms parts of a good deal. A good deal for me is a good product at a price that allows me to sleep well, not necessarily the cheapest price. ;)

Chris and Angie
Ford Ranger Wildtrak & Jayco Outback Eagle 2013
Www.chrissmithphotography.com.au
Chris

Ford Ranger Wildtrak and Jayco Outback Eagle 2013

www.chrissmithphotography.com.au