Author Topic: 4wd for towing  (Read 4086 times)

Offline McReidy

• Sleeping Bag User
4wd for towing
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:38:45 PM »
I currently tow the rig with a VZ Commodore and have been entertaining the idea of a 4wd. A mate has just put his 98 Pajero up for sale that he has done some major work and mods on (he is a mechanic) and I am considering my options. Can anyone offer and advice on what I should be looking for in a 4wd and this model in particular? No intention of using it for major offroading any timesoon, just towing the rig and for more space with a growing family. It's also the right price which helps!!
Got the bug, try & stop me!!

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
4wd for towing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
Petrol or diesel?

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: 4wd for towing
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »
What's the right price? Wasn't there a significant change in architecture of the Pajero in 2000?
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline McReidy

• Sleeping Bag User
4wd for towing
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
1998 pajero excellent condition new engine fitted 12, 000kms ago well looked after bullbar tow bar raised up 1.5inch all ready to go 4wd all oils been changed just had major service. On petrol. Selling for $7k

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:59:40 PM »
I remember my BIL had one. Was a good looking vehicle and did last him well, although I recall (because I almost bought one) that there were major updates in 1999/2000.

Does it have thr 3.5L motor?
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
buy it  :cheers:
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Sawed-Off

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
I've been towing my CT with my VS. Other than going offroad to places that needed clearance, it was fine. What is it about your VZ that isn't getting the job done, that a smaller engined Pajero will fix?
Matt.

Rootin', Tootin', & Shootin'. It's the Cowboy Way.

'97 HZJ80R Land Cruiser Dual Cab
'05 Tambo "The Cooper" : Nights used - 2015: 13  2014: 34  2013: 36  2012: 31

Marschy

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:44 PM »
I've been towing my CT with my VS. Other than going offroad to places that needed clearance, it was fine. What is it about your VZ that isn't getting the job done, that a smaller engined Pajero will fix?

I agree with this. Why go for a vehicle with sh!t fuel economy. If your not off roading, look at a station wagon. The VZ wagon has a pretty large cargo area. Or possibly one of the Holden AWD wagon's, the CX6 or CX8. The latter has atrocious fuel ecomony, but boy it's fun to drive. Or a VE wagon, smaller cargo area, but good towing capacity and bloody comfortable.

Being a Ford man, I'll put in a vote for the Territory as well, comes in AWD, Diesel, 7 seats, sat nav, and again, miles in front with regard economy compared to a 4WD.

These two makes of vehicle have more towing capacity than a lot of 4WD vehicles as well. Usually around the 2300kg mark.

Offline Streety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:08 PM »
I have towed the car trailer a very long way with a VN, VP, VT, VZ, and all were fine and TBH the VN was the best, not sure why it just was..
Also towed with a 93 v6 Paj, 2001 Dual can Triton v6 high ride auto and it definitely is better with the 4wd base.

I haven't really towed with my MY10 diesel paj yet but it will be the best based on my little test drive around the block with the camper I reckon it will be the best.

MY10 NT Pajero and 2006 Cub Supermatic Escape
a few EVO's and Excel cup car

Offline McReidy

• Sleeping Bag User
4wd for towing
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »
I am looking to change to 4WD for a few reasons, one being internal space. I have a 3yo with another one on the way, so with a 2nd kid seat in the back I lose a fair bit of space I used for packing. Also planning some long trips down the track which this would be good for. Fuel economy is my biggest concern as a few have mentioned, VZ is on gas so would be a big jump in fuel. This is the main thing I am worried about. The fact that a mate has it for sale makes more of an opportunistic buy than anything else.

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
4wd for towing
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:16:51 AM »
Well if the Paj is petrol I would highly doubt that economy will be a word that you use very often, unless it begins with lack of.

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »
I have towed the car trailer a very long way with a VN, VP, VT, VZ, and all were fine and TBH the VN was the best, not sure why it just was..
Also towed with a 93 v6 Paj, 2001 Dual can Triton v6 high ride auto and it definitely is better with the 4wd base.

I haven't really towed with my MY10 diesel paj yet but it will be the best based on my little test drive around the block with the camper I reckon it will be the best.

Streety, your gunna love towing with the paj. Just took ours on its first big run towing the CT from Melbourne to Adelaide and back. Did it with ease, average consumption was 11l/100km. I bet you'll keep checking to make sure the cub's still behind you ;D
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline BLKWDW

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
The paj sounds like a good buy for that price but wont be the best on fuel. If your worried bout fuel put it on gas or save your pennies for a turbo diesel. If dirt road driving and not off roading is what you'll be doing then a turbo diesel territory would be a good buy but not cheap. What are the turbo diesel pre 1999 pajeros going for these days they would be capable with what you need surely.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »
What's the right price? Wasn't there a significant change in architecture of the Pajero in 2000?

Yes there was. Interdependent rear suspension, SOHC rather than DOHC v3.5 Ptrol and and later on a new 3.2 D along with the Monochrome chassi
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Streety

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »
Streety, your gunna love towing with the paj. Just took ours on its first big run towing the CT from Melbourne to Adelaide and back. Did it with ease, average consumption was 11l/100km. I bet you'll keep checking to make sure the cub's still behind you ;D

Thanks for the positive feedback, mine does 8.2 unloaded atm. we're driving to the snow from QLD in July without the CT so hoping to beat the 8.2 on the fly.
It's funny you say that, as I pulled it out of its hidey hole is uphill and when I use my VE auto I have to use a fair bit of gas to get it out but the paj pretty much idled out. Looking forward to getting the CT on a trip soon

Sorry for going a little OT
MY10 NT Pajero and 2006 Cub Supermatic Escape
a few EVO's and Excel cup car

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »
...........along with the Monochrome chassi

Patrols have had them for years....... ;D ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....