Author Topic: council rates  (Read 5897 times)

Offline aquadux

• Swag User
  • It's great to be outdoors
council rates
« on: September 20, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »
I have finally discovered why our council rates are steadily increasing. Yesterday morning the council removed and replaced a section of concrete at the front of our house, no problems. However, at 8.15pm last night a council truck stopped at our house to deliver soil so the grass can be "made good". Seriously was it really that urgent that they had to pay someone overtime to deliver dirt.
Ironically if I do any work or renovation on my property between 6pm and 7am the council will send me a breech notice.

that's my rant for today

Richard  >:D
Toyota Prado diesel
Jayco Discovery

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
council rates
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »
Funny how we see things.

One could say ;

"wow our council are going the extra mile. They concreted out the front and then they were still working 2 hours after knock off to get topsoil on site to get the job done!"

:)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: council rates
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:00:51 AM »
Funny how we see things.

One could say ;

"wow our council are going the extra mile. They concreted out the front and then they were still working 2 hours after knock off to get topsoil on site to get the job done!"

:)

I saw 6 council fellas standing around watching 1 bloke dig a hole.  I guess my immediate thought should have been "geez, my council is so safety concious they have 6 people watching out for this 1 fella".....

Only if this was true. 

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
G'day aquadux,
It is only but a small part of why they keep rising(Rates).
If you want the cost of any project to blow out, just get local government involved. I would be amazed if there are councils that could prove that wrong.
A few years ago a privately run indoor sports facility in Maclean was selling out to the retirement village next door, I guess a growing market  ;D
Our Mayor at the time decided without the help of other councilors or community involvement to purchase the Hardwood flooring for later use in a new center to be built in Yamba. Some 300K was rumored to be paid for this.
That timber sat for a couple of years at one of the works depot under black plastic in the weather.
It couldn't be used, I have no idea what became of it, most likely was burnt or chipped. New flooring had to be purchased. That money could of been spent sealing the little gravel lanes around Lawrence that cost the council a bucket load to maintain each year due to the heavy rain fall over last over the summer, wasting all the gravel away and clogging culverts.
This is just one of many decisions this council(CVC) have made over the years that have cost the ratepayer big time and the councilors are not accountable till next election when the majority of voters have forgotten.
I know a few of our Outside staff on our council, good blokes work hard, they tell me they will see where waste is occurring or where they can save council money by doing the job properly in the first place, but some pencil pushing shinny ar2e wont allow it, they tell me it is very frustrating dealing with the indoor staff.
Anyway, I feel your dismay over the situation.
Two more days till Friday  ;D
 :cheers:

Hey rotare,
I'm going to ignore that because that is just silly  :angel:
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:35:41 PM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
council rates
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
Sure there are crap councils around and some deserve a belting big time. Like port Macquarie council that cost residents millions.

As a manager with a rural council I often get my employees to work back to get projects done, often in areas where residents complain like spoilt brats at the drop of a hat if they are inconvenienced for a day.

Councils are an easy one to belt and this thread is a classic already. Bagged out for working after hours, bagged out for standing around while one bloke digs a hole. What do they all climb in and dig  together. Tell you what, ring up and ask to speak with the foreman and complain about it. Don't ask the facts just complain. Then post what he said they were doing. Bet it's not quite the way you make it sound.

Sorry for the rant but aim a little sick of the whining that Aussies get up to. And never the balls to stop and ask someone to find out what is really going on.

Hell I dropped my truck off for a wheel alignment this morning and the office girl was on her mobile. No wonder it costs so bloody much when the lazy cow wastes my time.

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
Sure there are crap councils around and some deserve a belting big time. Like port Macquarie council that cost residents millions.

As a manager with a rural council I often get my employees to work back to get projects done, often in areas where residents complain like spoilt brats at the drop of a hat if they are inconvenienced for a day.

Councils are an easy one to belt and this thread is a classic already. Bagged out for working after hours, bagged out for standing around while one bloke digs a hole. What do they all climb in and dig  together. Tell you what, ring up and ask to speak with the foreman and complain about it. Don't ask the facts just complain. Then post what he said they were doing. Bet it's not quite the way you make it sound.

Sorry for the rant but aim a little sick of the whining that Aussies get up to. And never the balls to stop and ask someone to find out what is really going on.

Hell I dropped my truck off for a wheel alignment this morning and the office girl was on her mobile. No wonder it costs so bloody much when the lazy cow wastes my time.

You're right, council workers are all hard workers.  You didn't write your reply above in work time..... did you?..... ;D ;D ;D

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
council rates
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Well you tell me as you know all the answers.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »

Fair call Mate.
Not all councils/workers deserve to be grouped together in the elcrapo pile.
But tell me this.
What logical reason could there be to have 5 guys watch 1 guy dig a hole?
Shovel use training?  ;D
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline hainess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »
30 years a mowerman in the shire..
Guess who's going to be wearing this.

http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/story/347875/commercial-green-waste-tip-fees-to-rise/?cs=213

Not me.
I usually dump a tonne a day during summer.
As I told the mayor last night, my customers will know who to blame for the increase.

On another note.
Hi Jeepers, the Tin Can mowerman.
I've seen you around.

Rod

Offline hainess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
Whoops.
How bad is this server becoming?

Rod

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:05:48 PM by hainess »

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »
Does it matter if its local government, state or federal. Examples of the shovel thing are all over the place. At the Fraser Fiasco a group of us watched 4 rangers in 2 utes take 20 minutes to cut and dispose of a small branch that had fallen over a track.

Recently the SCRC council took 8 weeks to alter and build 4 new carparks in Tewantin at massive disruption to about 5 businesses

I don't think its the workers but the bullShit rules that they have to deal with and the bureaucracy behind it all.

No bad karma intended to any council workers here unless you are a SCRC councillor.............then you are probably a f...wit.

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:26:23 PM »
Ah the old bash the council thread. As a council worker of almost 20 years I have seen many things occur over my time from poor financial decisions to flat out lazy workers with no intent to do what they are paid to do. Fortunately these instances are very few and far between and the vast number of employees have a fair go but I can't recall the last time I read a thread in a forum or a story in the local paper that actually thanked the council for all the good work they do.

When I started some 20 years ago councils were primarily local policeman under the state govt's to control to monitor building, planning, health, animals, park lands and maintain the roads and other like infrastructure to as good a state as possible with limited resources. Then someone builds a new subdivision with pretty landscaped gardens between the property boundary and the road, nice concrete footpaths, sealed road network, storm water, sewerage, potable water............ and every time just one of these subdivisions were created so too was the need to maintain this infrastructure and to increasing expectations beyond what finances could afford. Result, increased rates.

Take roads for instance, here in tassie the councils maintain around 80% of the states road network with about 20% of the total funds from federal, state and local govt that are used for the roads. No wonder rates need to increase to sustain the growing expectations of the travelling public.

Bash councils if you must spare a thought for those that have a fair go and try and ensure that the general public has all the parks, roads and other infrastructure there for you to use when you feel like it.

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:35:04 PM »
Does it matter if its local government, state or federal. Examples of the shovel thing are all over the place. At the Fraser Fiasco a group of us watched 4 rangers in 2 utes take 20 minutes to cut and dispose of a small branch that had fallen over a track.

Recently the SCRC council took 8 weeks to alter and build 4 new carparks in Tewantin at massive disruption to about 5 businesses

I don't think its the workers but the bull**** rules that they have to deal with and the bureaucracy behind it all.

No bad karma intended to any council workers here unless you are a SCRC councillor.............then you are probably a f...wit.

Yeah I reckon most would be surprised at the behind the scenes crap that has to be done before you start anything and it all comes from public expectation demanding this and bloody that. It's  45 days to process a building or planning permit and with all the ass covering required today it takes every minute of that to get it signed off.

Offline Kimberley Mob

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 09:45:40 PM »
G'day aquadux,
It is only but a small part of why they keep rising(Rates).
If you want the cost of any project to blow out, just get local government involved. I would be amazed if there are councils that could prove that wrong.
A few years ago a privately run indoor sports facility in Maclean was selling out to the retirement village next door, I guess a growing market  ;D
Our Mayor at the time decided without the help of other councilors or community involvement to purchase the Hardwood flooring for later use in a new center to be built in Yamba. Some 300K was rumored to be paid for this.
That timber sat for a couple of years at one of the works depot under black plastic in the weather.
It couldn't be used, I have no idea what became of it, most likely was burnt or chipped. New flooring had to be purchased. That money could of been spent sealing the little gravel lanes around Lawrence that cost the council a bucket load to maintain each year due to the heavy rain fall over last over the summer, wasting all the gravel away and clogging culverts.
This is just one of many decisions this council(CVC) have made over the years that have cost the ratepayer big time and the councilors are not accountable till next election when the majority of voters have forgotten.
I know a few of our Outside staff on our council, good blokes work hard, they tell me they will see where waste is occurring or where they can save council money by doing the job properly in the first place, but some pencil pushing shinny ar2e wont allow it, they tell me it is very frustrating dealing with the indoor staff.
Anyway, I feel your dismay over the situation.
Two more days till Friday  ;D

Hey rotare,
I'm going to ignore that because that is just silly  :angel:
 ;D

Like to know more about this one and what happened to the Mayor
As the mayor has no power to expend the funds personally as you claim on the timber without the community or the rest of council
So seeing as though it would have been very illegal for him to do so I'd like to know what came of it

oh, and I went to a bad mechanic once
Does that mean they are all useless scum of the earth thieving mongrels that can't be trusted and are lazy and don't know how to do their jobs???

Yeah you guessed it, work at a council and after 18 years get a bit sick of the usual leaning on shovels or 49857348572486589425 blokes to dig a hole stories

Just glad there is no slack buggers out in the real world huh

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 05:32:42 AM »
Like to know more about this one and what happened to the Mayor

The Mayor got the flick at the next council elections, as Mayor and at the last didn't stand for re-election as a councilor. It was also in a period were five local councils were merging into one, there was a lot of dodgy stuff that when on in this period of not knowing what was happening with 5 General Managers for awhile, then one with 5 deputy managers  for nearly 3 years.
Amalgamation has screwed us.
Going from a council that was profitable and in the Black, to one that is in the red.
Anyway, I'm not going to to rabbit on about it.
Who knows, one day I might just get the bottle up to sit for council my self.
Couldn't do any worse than the clowns that are there now.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 05:46:42 AM »

On another note.
Hi Jeepers, the Tin Can mowerman.
I've seen you around.

Rod

Hey Rod,

Have you been visiting Tin Can lately?
We use to live in the Redlands 10 years ago.

OK, now to really p1ss you off....... We don't pay dump fee's up here.

Cheers,  :cheers:
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 05:53:13 AM »
OK, now to really p1ss you off....... We don't pay dump fee's up here.
Council here charges like a wounded bull to dump green waste, go to MI Organics and they will take it off you hands for free  ;D

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:47 AM »
I dumped an old freezer for a client yesterday.

Over with the steel waste, was two old falcons chock a block full of holes.... bullet holes... big stuff too.

The army train them well up here, but any spares worth getting, had a million holes in ém.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
Saw an absolute ripper this morning.
While fueling up the cruiser, across the road a council staff member pulls up to clean the covered BBQ area, he picks up a few branches and leaves and weeds the little garden, he then places all this in the RED bin, the lid is ajar because a stick that he placed in it is preventing it from closing. He gives it a big hit,loud enough to be heard over a busy road, it doesn't close, he shrugs his shoulders and drives off in the work ute, which is a tray back.
Two things that I noticed,
1) The red bin in our council area is for general rubbish, not green waste, there are separate bins for green waste. We would get a letter from council for placing green waste in the general waste bin.
2) He had a ute with nothing in the back except for his gardening tools that stood upright, the cover was pulled back to the head board.
Apparently there is a rule for council staff and one for ratepayers  ;D
Like everywhere, there is good & there is bad.
Have a good one.

Offline Camping Grant

• The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Such Is Life
    • Grant & Kerryn's Camping Adventures
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
I don't see how this thread is related to camping. Could someone fill me in? Perhaps if these types of threads weren't on the forum, then it wouldn't have so many performance issues.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:01:17 PM by Camping Grant »

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 01:27:21 PM »
Perhaps if these types of threads weren't on the forum, then it wouldn't have so many performance issues.

Got nothing to do with the performance.
 ;D

Forum Performance Issues
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:46:13 PM by Hairs »

Offline Swaggie

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »

Stop your bloody whinging fellas...If i worked for the local Council i would like my Overseas Junket Holidays to be paid by the ratepayer as well,wouldn't you...

A small bush (bush and camping are related  >:D ) out the front of my place was hanging less than a third over the footpath...Got the usual letter telling me if i dont snip it they will bring in the Calvary at my expense...When the track behind my house with a reserve had grass growing up to my waist...

The Council was so great down here that the Government threatened to come in and take over...WTF

crackacoldie

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
Our council put in a paved footpath, however failed to have the contractor concrete the edge of the pavers.  After 12months the pavers moved, so charged the street residents a levy to repair the pavers to standard!!!  WTF????

Offline aquadux

• Swag User
  • It's great to be outdoors
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
I don't see how this thread is related to camping. Could someone fill me in? Perhaps if these types of threads weren't on the forum, then it wouldn't have so many performance issues.

Perhaps the Moderators could lock this thread and perhaps remove it? 

I'm was sure the headed stated
GENERAL DISUSSION
FELL FREE TO TALK ABOUT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING IN THIS BOARD.

If you don't like the topic don't join the conversation.

Toyota Prado diesel
Jayco Discovery

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »

Perhaps the Moderators could lock this thread and perhaps remove it?

you are joking.... aren't you?

Oh well, look at the bright side, if these types of threads weren't on the forum, you'd have nothing to bitch about.

Now, chin up, crack a coldie and chill out.