Author Topic: Family camping run over by car  (Read 7768 times)

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Family camping run over by car
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:01 AM »
Car runs over sleeping family at campsite

Four members of a family are in hospital after the tent they were sleeping in was run over by a car at a campsite on the New South Wales south coast at the weekend.

The accident happened at the park in Kiama at about 10:50pm on Saturday night.

Police have questioned a 19-year-old man who was driving the car, but are yet to lay charges.

They say he blew a blood alcohol level that was three times over the limit, at .174, and his licence has been suspended.

Officers say early investigations suggest the teenager had left a party in a nearby caravan park and was driving along a private road when he crashed through a metal fence, clipped another car and hit the tent.

The family was dragged several metres and were trapped under the car before other campers lifted it up to free them.

A 45-year-old man is being treated for a fractured pelvis while a 43-year-old woman has a collapsed lung, spinal and rib injuries.

A seven-year-old girl chest injuries and four-year-old boy bruising and burns. None of the injuries are life-threatening.

Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

bunyip

Re: Family camping run over by car
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
Holy #%$*.

That is not good, but if idiots are going drive after drinking too much (at 19 he would have been a P Plater) then no laws will keep us safe.

Thoughts go out to the family.

Bunyip

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
nope, cant write what i feel as i learnt a long time ago not to send/make angry phone calls, e-mails, texts etc

but i think anyone booked for drink driving should be charged with attemted murder rather than drink driving
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
A family camping trip ruined by a p!ssed moron P plater, hope he gets the book thrown at him.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
Agree with bussoboy.
Not only their holiday is gone, their lives as well. Everything changed by someone who drove a car when been drinking.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:26:55 PM by WilSurf »
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Kendall River Barramundi
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
I agree with Bussoboy.  Why didn't that s***head stay where he was?
The worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

2021 Isuzu d-max utility 3 litre
2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline Patt31

• Tent User
    • James and Patsyannes big aussie adventure
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
read the news clip posted on myswag facebook page, heart has to go out for the family, just got to hope that they all pull through.

Was good to read that it was fellow campers that pitched in and lifted the car off the family. Not good that they had to do it.

Irresponsible 19 yr old &^(_*^ far out, I hope that they throw the book at him.  When is this generation of drivers going to get it through their thick heads that they are not the only ones out there on the road and that they have to take responsibility for their actions.
Test driving early retirement - every chance we get :)

Toyota Landcruiser with extras, cape york hard floor camper trailer...

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:15 PM »
Because no 19 year old in any other generation ever drank and drove. 19 year olds have always and will always do stupid things that can end badly. Lucky this didn't end tragically for all involved. Let's hope he gets dealt with in an appropriate way that serves some good.

Speedy recovery for the family, hope they are out camping again soon

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »
19 year olds have always and will always do stupid things that can end badly.

Ain't that the truth. Despite parental care and guidance.

cheers

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »
There is merit in the US model, drive at 16, drink at 21...

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

X2

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
Agree with the 21 to be able to drink, but 16 is too early for driving.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
yeah because no adult has ever driven drunk and crashed into someone before have they? the age has nothing to do with it in my books, there are plenty of wankers out there of all ages and both sexes that drink and drive, the fact he happened to be 19 is a non issue. first thing i thought when i started reading the thread was i bet the idiot was drunk, i didn't think i bet it was a kid under the age of 21 that was drunk  ;)
i hope they throw the book at the clown, sadly his actions will mean that family will be on a long road to recovery  :'( :'(
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

UIZ733

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »
Throw the book at him. Lengthy period in jail. Life ban from driving because vermin like this do not change. Three youg kid here in Qld (close to Ipswich) lost their lives because of scum like this. Keep him off the road at least.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
...the fact he happened to be 19 is a non issue.

I don't deny there are older drivers who have alcohol related crashes, however P-platers are over represented compared to older drivers.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Shane083

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »
i dont agree with being 3 times over the limit and its a terrible thing that has happened, but has anyone on here never had a couple of beers and driven? Ive been done for dd and it definately changed the way i think.
If god didn't want you to play with it, he would have put it in the middle of your back

Offline Darren253

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
Australia seems to have such a poor attitude towards drink driving. It still amazes me of the amount of people the constantly drink drive and think nothing of it, as if it's there god given right!   >:(
Some tradies are so open with it drinking bundy and coke cans whilst driving on a Friday afternoons. I lived in the Middle East for 5 years and if you got caught drink driving, 30 days in jail. no question, no bribes, no option. And it was no flash jail with TV's and bunk beds... I've met a few people who did time for DD and not one of them would ever do it again.

Maybe if we were firmer than a 3month suspension we might get somewhere. Private road, bush camp, off road adventure park or not, nobody has the right to put my family at risk like that even if they are camping in the bush. If my family aren't safe in a bush campsite, where are they safe?

That idiot should be charged with attempted manslaughter (if there was such a charge!) or equivalent.
2013 LC200 Altitude
2014 CC Exodus 14

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »
I feel very sorry for the family involved and the idiot is lucky no one was killed!!

If I made the laws anyone caught drink driving would automatically lose their license for 5 years, that's with ANY alcohol in their system.  The .05 is too hard to know when that limit is reached so just a plain blanket ban - makes it easy to remember.  Second offence - jail for 12 months - no questions asked.  I reckon that is the only way to stop and get people to think.

Offline Toy pradopetty

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
Really hope the family recover within minimal time and they allow themselves to get out campung again  such a sad story. As for the driver I don't believe he should be allowed to finish his provisional license and must start again at his theory test for Learners. Clearly he has forgotten the rules imposed on provisional drivers of 0 % blood alcohol for p1 and p 2  drivers. And cover all medical costs for the family who has been injured. Why should they have to pay for his ignorance . Just banning him from driving wouldn't be enough to make him realise the wrongs of his ways.
Cheers
Frank

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »
I look at the shows on TV where people band together to help someone in need and I suppose I wish there was something us members of the forum could do to help this family in recovering and getting back out there to enjoy the dream, but I am a a loss to think where to start or the best thing to do.  I suppose collectively there could be a difference made if it was directed right.
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline tambodaryl

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
I went camping with a mate a few years ago and he gave me one of the best safety ideas when camping.  At night try and place your car between the road and your tent/camper if possible. 
Will not stop a high speed vehicle but definatley a barrier between you and a moving vehicle.
Hope this is passed on and might save someone in the future.

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 07:54:22 AM »
I went camping with a mate a few years ago and he gave me one of the best safety ideas when camping.  At night try and place your car between the road and your tent/camper if possible. 
Will not stop a high speed vehicle but definatley a barrier between you and a moving vehicle.
Hope this is passed on and might save someone in the future.

I did the same when we were tenting, for reason this thread was started

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »
Quote from: Darren253
Maybe if we were firmer than a 3month suspension we might get somewhere
Jails are full, why do you think murders and rapists get "community correction orders" instead of "never seeing daylight again".. Then again, you get 50yrs for stealing $10,000 off your boss or the Gov... go figure.

Where the hell would you house 20,000 drink drivers (if they got serious and could catch them all)people/wk for 3 mth stretches each?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline UR-50-LO

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »
I lost 2 young cousins to a POS drink driver that mounted a gutter, ripped a small tree out the ground and entered a childs playground and hit them (obviously speeding). He got a lousy 14 months jail for the 2 lives and I don't think he even served that. Mind you he had a previous record that Derryn Hinch had to scroll the screen 3 times on his shame files episode to show his long list of previous DUI and other driving offences he had been charged with over the years. Ontop of being suspended from driving he was also driving an unregistered and uninsured car at the time too. At court he played the whole "Im illiterate, my fiances pregnant, I go to church etc" while our family have had to pick up the pieces for the rest of our lives...Years later again drunk and breaking the law (heard he was pulled over while intoxicated again but can't confirm it) he tried to stab a police officer but the officers notebook in his top pocket saved him. He got ALOT more that time when sentenced. I'd love to know where to find him today!!!

http://www.plasterer.com.au/news/1990/3/11/man-20-charged-over-boys-death/

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:47:56 AM by UR-50-LO »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
Quote from: UR-50-LO
I lost 2 young cousins to a POS drink driver that mounted a gutter, ripped a small tree out the ground and entered a childs playground and hit them (obviously speeding).
Was that some african or dark dude?? I remember some case like that years ago.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home