Author Topic: ARB Air Locker Copies  (Read 47445 times)

Offline ARB 4X4 Accessories

• Tent User
ARB Air Locker Copies
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:27:50 AM »
Hi everyone, with copies of our Air Locker product becoming available from China and on some Australian forums, I wanted to clear up a few myths to ensure potential buyers are getting the full picture.

Firstly, despite claims that the Air Locker copies manufactured in China are 'exact copies' of the genuine Air Lockers, they're not.

- The gear design is not the same
- The manufacturing processes are not the same
- The materials used are not the same
- The heat treatment process is not the same (if it's used at all)
- The tolerances are not the same
- The compressor used to activate the locking mechanism is not the same
- In fact, nothing is the same

When it comes to reliability and longevity, these differences are crucial, particularly with regard to the materials used in vital components like cross shafts. ARB has invested heavily in materials research, machinery and manufacturing processes to ensure the genuine product is manufactured to the highest possible standard. The design of the internal components is just one part of the overall equation and is generally the only part of our product that is copied in the counterfeit versions. All of our Air Locker products are manufactured in Australia (at our head office in Kilsyth) using Australian parts. We'd be happy to give a group of forum members a guided tour of the factory to show them our state of the art facilities.   

The other myth I'd like to dispel, is the claim that genuine Air Locker parts are interchangeable with the counterfeits. This is simply not the case. Spare parts from our Air Locker range WILL NOT fit into the counterfeit products. This is an important point to remember when considering the after sales backup and support offered in Australia, or anywhere in the world for that matter.

When you buy genuine Air Lockers, you'll be supported by over 120 authorised outlets around Australia who can all assist you on the rare occurrence that you experience an issue with the product. The last thing you want on your next big trip is to have a vehicle disabling failure with no parts or service backup available to get you on the road again. It's in these situations that the few hundred dollars saved to buy a counterfeit product over a tried, tested and supported product will seem like a pittance.

Despite our best efforts to find a statistically significant volume of real world feedback on these counterfeits, the fact is that there just isn't enough of them on the market to provide any sort of long term, real world evidence as to their longevity and reliability.  Genuine Air Lockers are backed up by a 2 year warranty and  are trusted and used in over 100 countries around the world.

Finally, it's probably also worth noting that we currently have a promotion running on our Air Lockers which substantially reduces the cost difference between the genuine and counterfeit products. Check out our website for details.

Cheers, Sam.
ARB 4X4 Accessories Head Office

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: ARB Air Locker Copies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:54:05 AM »
With all due respect Sam as I posted in the other thread I think the pricing structure is flawed. I personally don't think giving a compressor and other bits away 'substantially' reduces the cost. I can buy the same locker in the US for around AUD800 http://www.rocky-road.com/toyarb.html that's way less than I can walk into Kilsyth and buy it for.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
It is amazing how you can get 2 lockers from the USA delivered to Aus cheaper than what the 'Australian' company will slug you
Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »
Should this thread be in the 'Showroom Floor' section?
2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »
I do agree that it is a bit weird that you can make a locker here... send it to the USA and then send it to Aus again and it is cheaper than buying it here.  All that fuel, all those duties, all those middle men. Weird!

No offence Sam (and ARB) but this is anti Australian and should be stopped. What a waste of fuel and resources.

In regard to the chinese lockers... it probably is an exact copy but made from the cheapest materials available. I'm sure that they just purchased some ARB lockers (in the USA, it's cheaper) and copied the design. And unfortunately ARB has absolutely ZERO chance of suing them because they are in china. 
This unfortunately is common by chinese manufacturers... they steal others intellectual property all the time and get away with it.
The time to be scared (for other manufacturers - not chinese) is when they get their act together and copy your designs and do it well. 

mike

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:21:03 AM »
With all due respect Sam as I posted in the other thread I think the pricing structure is flawed. I personally don't think giving a compressor and other bits away 'substantially' reduces the cost. I can buy the same locker in the US for around AUD800 http://www.rocky-road.com/toyarb.html that's way less than I can walk into Kilsyth and buy it for.

Hi guys, I realise this is a concern. As I'm still a relative newbie at ARB, I will do some investigation to try and ascertain why this is the case.

Cheers, Sam.

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
The thing is the Chinese do great copies, but obviously using inferior materials. I certainly WOULD NOT purchase one of the cheapies. Having said that, the way ARB are treating Australian custom, i won't be buying ARB lockers either. I will be getting TJM air lockers and with a bit more research into E-Lockers from Opposite Lock, maybe Dave at the new OL in St Marys will get my money.

ARB are certainly not the be all and end all in the accessories market

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 09:28:43 AM »
Let me clarify, i am not bagging ARB products as such

My 60 series was FULLY kitted out by ARB and i like the products. It's just the way the company is treating us

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »
Perception is reality. And unfortunately the perception of ARB at the moment is not good...

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:38:33 AM »
It is amazing how you can get 2 lockers from the USA delivered to Aus cheaper than what the 'Australian' company will slug you
I do agree that it is a bit weird that you can make a locker here... send it to the USA and then send it to Aus again and it is cheaper than buying it here.  All that fuel, all those duties, all those middle men. Weird!

Its not amazing or weird, just plain bullShit. I can see no other reason that they are more expensive here apart from taking as much money from the aus customer as possible. ARB air lockers in this country should be cheaper than anywhere else in the world, since they are made here after all.

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »
Sam please listen to the posts so far, which not one is supporting you guys at the moment.
When i owned a supermarket (be it a small one), the previous owners were working on high gp's. So i went in and lowered pricing across the board by a few % and my sales increased from $27k/week to $35k/week. My point being, have better pricing and get more turnover.
Just some food for thought

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
ARB Air Locker Copies
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 10:07:16 AM »
Different market places dictate different prices. Just buy them from the states, not exactly a big deal or problem.

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:23:44 AM »
This unfortunately is common by chinese manufacturers... they steal others intellectual property all the time and get away with it.

Chinese law simply doesn't recognise IP.

Before the ARB bagging gets too carried away, I think it is worth considering where ARB has taken the offroad industry during their existence - lots of innovation, quality products (yes there are occasional issues, like with any other product on the market), local employment opportunities, and a country-wide dealer network for backing up their products when required. Oh and they also lifted four wheel driving out of its redneck image, and established Australian offroad products and expertise as market leaders worldwide.

I have no affiliation with them apart from the lockers in my Nissan; in fact I have a personal connection with one of their market competitors. And I tend to agree that it might be time to review their pricing model, if only because I fear for their ongoing existence if they don't address the changing marketplace immediately. But hey, a little respect for their achievements and standing in the offroad industry wouldn't hurt. It's not always about your own hip pocket, if everyone thought like that we'd all be remote area touring on cheap low quality Chinese products... I don't know about others but that doesn't sound too attractive to me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:35:23 AM by Squalo »
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:27 AM »
Should this thread be in the 'Showroom Floor' section?
I think this thread is fine in the dicussion folder. It is clarifying an issue and has spawned some interesting comment. Looking forward to his investigation reply, re pricing disparity between OS sourced OEM lockers and local sourced gear.

A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »
I agree about what they have done for the the 4wd industry in Aus. 

BUT they did this through the support of the Aus customers... now the Aus customers fell a little shafted. It's only because they know they can get it cheaper overseas which means they know they are paying too much for it locally.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
Market forces are already in play in Aus with the many cheaper bullbar, roofrack etc. importers starting to compete and get share in the market. The Aus market is 2/3 of ARB's business, sooner or later the imports are going to hurt them and they will have to compete rather than selling on their brand. Time will tell if Andy drops the prices, might guess is not.

This makes for interesting reading http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=01228024
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »
Quote from: letsgoplaces
My point being, have better pricing and get more turnover.
ARB currently dont need to change a thing... Some model cars have months waiting lists for bullbars.. Their lockers are flying out the door. Go into most ARB stores on a weekend.. they are flat out.

Their current strategy is working, and Andy is rolling in it.. he doesn't even give good (in my eyes) discounts for staff, (myself and D4D know a dirty old man that has worked there for eons)

The owner of the company considers pissing off home 20mins early stealing.

Although I remember when "Other" lockers were coming on the market they were going to "SHAKE" the market to its knees  :pissingpantsemoticon: I reckon they all got together and said lets stick with one price range - Like Servo's dont do with fuel as the ACCC tells us.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »
As a side note, I notice you have the Volkswagon Amorok listed as having a front locker available, are they available??

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
As a side note, I notice you have the Volkswagon Amorok listed as having a front locker available, are they available??

Baz.

G'day Bazz, I've just checked with our Air Locker engineer and there is no front locker available for the Amarok. From the factory, the crown wheel in the front diff is actually welded (not bolted) to the housing so it's actually not possible to fit a front locker. We do make one for the rear though.

Can you let me know where you read that they're available?

Cheers, Sam.

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »
just be done with it an install an E-Locker >:D

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »
G'day Bazz, I've just checked with our Air Locker engineer and there is no front locker available for the Amarok. From the factory, the crown wheel in the front diff is actually welded (not bolted) to the housing so it's actually not possible to fit a front locker. We do make one for the rear though.

Cheers, Sam.

But the Amarok comes standard with a rear locker ???
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 07:19:38 AM »
ARB currently dont need to change a thing... Some model cars have months waiting lists for bullbars.. Their lockers are flying out the door. Go into most ARB stores on a weekend.. they are flat out.

Spot on Lost.

My last job before my current one was managing a fleet of vehicles.  Our 4wds were fitted with ARB.  Full stop.  We went with ARB because it never ever ever failed.  These were on emergency services vehicles and our 4wd Driver Training fleet (which were ALWAYS Toyota for the same reason) and were abused constantly.  At one stage the beancounters put purchases out to tender.  Lasted one financial year, never again.

ARB are simply the best gear out there and just like Toyota you pay a premium.  You dont have to pay the premium of course thats voluntary :)

(disclaimer: the best provided they have stopped the oil holidaying up the engagement lines on the lockers :;)  )

cheers
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 07:38:30 AM »
Sam please listen to the posts so far, which not one is supporting you guys at the moment.

Perception is reality. And unfortunately the perception of ARB at the moment is not good...

Hi guys, gathering important customer feedback is one of the key reasons for us getting more involved in the forum scene so we're most definitely listening . Where genuine issues or suggestions are raised, I'll certainly ensure they're heard. :cheers:

Cheers, Sam.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »

Cheers, Sam.

Right here
http://www.arb.com.au/products/
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
2006 BMW R1200GS

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:24 AM »
What would make us all happy?

If any ARB gear made in Australia was cheaper to purchase in Australia than in any other country. 
Even if you just jacked up the prices in the USA to be above ours.... as long as aussie gear is cheaper in Aus!  Perception is reality. (BTW, not a popular idea).

Don't worry... just blame it on the financial crisis in Greece and Italy.

mike