Author Topic: Tassie council campgrounds - rant  (Read 8896 times)

Offline ants

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Tassie council campgrounds - rant
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 04:30:54 PM »
Thankyou to all who have posted thus far.  It is heartening to see that a thread can bring in a wide range of views without getting nasty. Totally unlike some other 4wd type forums out there ;)
Anthony
2010 Jayco Hawk OUtback
2008 Nissan Navara D40

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
Tasmanian Tourism really is lost.  It doesn't know where it is, where it wants to go or how to get there.

(Hope its okay to have an opinion on this, I do live here and mums crew date back to the settling of new norfolk on one side, probably with ANTS crew, and then back 35000 years on the other :)  )

Anyways, its lost and there really is no sunshine on the horizon.  The reason is simple - vested interests, definitive classes and an inbred government (on all sides).

Firstly the inbred government - On both sides is 'jobs for the boys' and who your daddy was.  We have a minister down here who struggles to breath and think at the same time but was elected because of his daddy.  Both sides are wedded to big business and the eternal struggle to stay in power regardless of the needs of the state.  The greens hold the balance and are pretty god damn useless as well.  There is no vision for the state for any of them.  Just look at the timber industry - whether it should stay or go is irrelevant cause its dying while they stuff around.  Decisions are based on supporting safe seats, mostly in the north of the state.

Secondly definitive classes - There are three very distinct classes.  The first is the welfare class.  These are hidden away from view in towns and suburbs rarely seen.  A whopping 35% of Tasmanians are dependant on welfare as their main source of income and of these 33% are not working and not looking.  There is very little desire for many of these people to better themselves which is sad.  I doubt many of these really give a rats about the cost of the spirit or whether myswaggers can afford to come across.  Many couldnt give a rats if you tell your friends its great or anything else.  Just the centrelink cash, a few smokes and some grog, maybe a vn commodore with some mags and they are happy.  Harsh but accurate IMO - wish it weren't so because the kids should have a bright future.  Many areas are on the third or fourth generation of dole dependency.

The next is the middle class.  Probably a fairly large portion and most are pretty happy.  Because the majority are from here they have their own groups and places they go together.  Shack life is a big thing down here and most people know someone with a shack (really a house by the water or the lake) and lots go there for their holidays.  Also, many have permanent setups, or virtual ownership, of free camps in places like Cockle Creek or near Strahan.  They always go there and are really happy.  There is no real drive for them to change the status quo.

Lastly is the wealthy, most old money.  You would be amazed how much old money there is down here.  And these are the people who have friends in the right places.  Mostly their idea of tourism is arty farty stuff like Mona where you can drink chardy while you gaze at moulds of animal genitals - I kid you not.  Anything to do with the high end of town they will be into.  Arts festivals and the like.  Anything that will look good in a photoshoot.  You know the style, a thin 30's something chick in a black dress looking dreamingly at a 40's bloke who is staring at cradle mountain while standing on some red carpet. 
And rabbit on about how wonderful the food is.  Its no better or worse than anything in Melb, Syd or even Canberra.

They think tourism can look after itself simply by allowing mainlainders in, pointing to the view and sending you off.  Even the Forestry Tasmania propaganda displays like Tahune Airwalk barely cater for campers and motorhomes.   A couple of years ago the govt contracted the fella who managed Victorias award winning jigsaw puzzle tourism campaign.  After six months he gave a warts and all mid contract briefing.  They sacked him the next day.

I think how poor it is is summed up by this experience;

Family came down and we took them on a cruise boat on the harbour. If ever you have a captive audience and a great way to showcase the state.  Cruising along and lunch, as part of the cost, is a shepherds pie.  I love shepherds pie - this one comes in one of those plastic chinese takeaway containers with a dollap of deb potato - in the state where pink eye taters rule!

And the commentary - "over here we have blackmans bay.  Its not called blackmans bay because the aboriginals lived there.  I dont know why its called blackmans bay.  There are no aboriginals there now so I have no idea why".  And then "this area over here was once a crayfish area but the govt stopped us fishing cause it was fished out.  They reckon there are some back there now so they should let us hey"

They wont even agree to put any sort of commercia tourism development on the icon of hobart - Mount Wellington.  No restaurant nestled into the rocks, no 4wd bus to take you to the top when it snows and god forbid a cable car from salamanca to the top to get the tourists in.

I really love Tasmania and there is SO much potential but it is just stagnent.  The place is could be the 'natural' Tourism capital of Australia.  There are hundreds of k's of abandoned rail lines that could be developed for 4wd tours, light rail through the mountains with remote bush camping - you get dropped off and another light rail comes the next day and you can jump back on.  All down the coast there should be camping areas that allow say two days of camping for a small fee - say $20.00 a night - to pay for some basic facilities like toilets and a camp kitchen area. 

Love the place - but dont hold your breath for anything to change any time soon. 

PS - They dont really care if you come or not - sorry.

Off to have a happy pill  8)

Dazzler, fully agree with most of what you have said. Only bit I might disagree with is the bit about "a minister that can't breath and think at the same time. " I think you will find that there is a lot more than one.

Trevor

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
Thanks Trevor

I agree.  My mistake  ;D

I thought I would get a big flame job as I was pretty blunt.  I really do love tas but I cant see a future for my four kids down here.  Maybe it will turn around.  You never know.

cheers
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
lol trevor, cootha what are you smoking, I agree NZ is a nice place to visit but you wouldnt want to live there >:D >:D Tassie is simply the best (strange idea for a song came to mind, some bird singing it) pity we cant shake the polies out of it and a few other interesting parties and who knows.... yeah I know easy for me to say stuck over here, but one day I will return ...
First aid training and supplies.
First aid is NOT a bandaid solution.

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
Thanks Trevor

I agree.  My mistake  ;D

I thought I would get a big flame job as I was pretty blunt.  I really do love tas but I cant see a future for my four kids down here.  Maybe it will turn around.  You never know.

cheers

Yeah bit of a worry for the next decade as you can only have so many jobs in tourism >:( to make it worse the tourism ministers down here for the last decade or so are just the new kids on the block (so to speak) and they cut there teeth in this role before moving onto health and education :'(. It's abysmal that it costs about a grand to get across the ditch and back towing a camper when if it was land it would cost about $130 max for the 700k return trip. Bring back the 1/2 day trips on the cats I say.

Now with respect to the camping grounds, let me first say I haven't used any on the mainland but the old man is a grey nomad and a few blokes at work have seen there share over the last few years and the result I hear is that in tassie we have pretty ordinary camp grounds in general with a few top notch ones. Now throw in the council owned & national perks land that allow campers to use it for about 5 bucks a night it really does make it hard for anyone to throw some coin at an average park to try and turn it into something better. However at the same time if the council caravan parks( okay sites) suddenly cease then what competition is there for the average ones to improve?

Where to from here?

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
Just down the road from where I live is a little spot called "Stitt Park" it use to have a sign out the front saying "Free over night rest area" now the sign has gone, it's not looking good.
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:16 AM »
Hi,
   the best Tassie camp grounds usually have a "Warning - Gravel Road" sign at least 10 or 15 km away, and then zilch.

Sometimes they will just have a sign prohibiting tents for some strange reason.

cheers

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »

Sometimes they will just have a sign prohibiting tents for some strange reason.

i like that!1

:cup:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 03:49:21 PM »
Bit of an old thread however I was at a local govt meeting and the reason that the State Govt is clamping down on this is as follows.

The Federal Govt demanded that the States, to receive their funding, must comply with the productivity commission rulings and the impact of free or subsidised camping on fair competition was one of the factors involved.

If they wanted the money they were the conditions.

Not sure if it was the GST or just normal federal funds they were talking about.

So there ya go. 

cheers

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
Bit of an old thread however I was at a local govt meeting and the reason that the State Govt is clamping down on this is as follows.

The Federal Govt demanded that the States, to receive their funding, must comply with the productivity commission rulings and the impact of free or subsidised camping on fair competition was one of the factors involved.

If they wanted the money they were the conditions.
so that means every state in aussie is going to ban free camping to get their money.... ??? ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
so that means every state in aussie is going to ban free camping to get their money.... ??? ???

Hopefully not.

Benalla City pulled their small local park out of the Gardens about 5(plus?) years ago, and have since stopped free camping at the showgrounds (except for those involded in shows, club events, etc)

Presume same reasoning now that ive seen dazzlers reply.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »

Maybe  ???

The silly thing is its seasonal down here.  The warmer months the parks are chockers.  Winter times everywhere is pretty quiet.