Author Topic: Tassie council campgrounds - rant  (Read 8895 times)

Offline ants

• Sleeping Bag User
Tassie council campgrounds - rant
« on: November 26, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »
Thought I would share a little rant ;)

There is a move to possibly remove the cost subsidies (that local residents) are providing to free/low cost campgrounds and caravan sites in Tassie.  Basically, local residents are, through their rates etc, subsidising the cost of providing tourists with free or low cost caravan/camping/rv facilities in plenty of places in Tassie.

I have noticed on some websites that there are quite a number of "mainland" people who are opposed to this move, seeminglhy on the grounds that since they have to spend so much money on the Spirit of Tas coming to visit down here, then there sites etc should be reduced in price.

Hmmmmmmm.....

I moved to Tassie a little over a year ago and have a couple of thoughts on this.  Primarily however, does the logic purported by some people opposed to this move, mean that, as a Tasmanian, whenever I take my van to the mainland (north island, big island, whatever you want to call it), seeing as though I have had to spend a fair whack on money getting my rig across the creek on the Spirit, that all my van sites etc on the mainland should be subsidised?  After all, one rule for all right?

Now, while I agree that in all areas where coucils provide subsidised sites for tourists, the local residents are the ones effectively footing the bill.  My beef here is that Tassie is a place with a pretty small population and a low percapita income level.  Yet we still manage to provide the most number of RV friendly facilities I have seen in all my travels around this country.  Things like toilet dump points, free water supplies, RV sized parking near town centres....yet in plenty of other tourist centres around Aus who try to draw the RV/Camper trailer/Caravan crowd, it can be impossible to find a place to dump the contents of your portable loo, let alone fill your water tanks (unless you are staying in a caravan park).

Looking forward to some interesting discussion on this topic.
Anthony
2010 Jayco Hawk OUtback
2008 Nissan Navara D40

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Tassie council campgrounds - rant
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
Hi ants

Are there two issues going on. I thought that some private caravan parks had taken action in the ACCC against free camping sites as it was against fair competition or something.

I work for a council and am surprised  they don't provide more areas for camping.

I had heard that bay of fires area may start charging soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Tassie council campgrounds - rant
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »
The way I see it is that if they can attrack more campers by free or subsidised sites then more travellers will come and hopefully spend money in the area so helping the economy.  I suppose the cost of attracting campers has to come from somewhere so it comes from rates or sometimes from State tourism grants.  The other alternative is dont provide free or subsidised sites and loose a percentage of tourism because these days its always about saving a $

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Trevor
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
I personally dont mind if I have to pay a few bux if I want to stay in one of the council parks for a night or so for the extra facilities.  I checked out a few on the way from Hobart to Lake St Claire when last over, but we had access to accomodation, didnt need the CT.  They all seemed clean and well maintained.

We plan to return to do the NE tip, Bay of Fires and east coast in March next year. My issue is that it can be expensive to ship both the tug and van over along with yourselves ($800 plus).  You really have to be staying for a week or more to make it worthwhile.  While we will be staying for 2 weeks, the cost of shipping certainly deters short stays of 4-5 days.   Our combined Tug/CT length takes us 10 cm into a higher category, and costs us an extra $150.  PITA, feel like shortening the tow hitch!!

So, it seems that the system is geared towards you taking a fly/drive/accomodation package for 4 or 5 days instead of taking your own accomodation.

Anyway - we're looking forwards to coming back over.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
Quote from: dazzler
Are there two issues going on. I thought that some private caravan parks had taken action in the ACCC against free camping sites as it was against fair competition or something.

I work for a council and am surprised  they don't provide more areas for camping.

i heard perth does it 19klms from a van park...

general consenses was arseholes to tasmanian van parks etc, once the shops start going broke from no tourism, they will start crawling back

but there is another thread on this here with a fair wack of info in it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:52:21 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »
I don't have a problem with Councils offering free camp sites. I think it is a good incentive for travellers to entice them to visit the state. I can see how attractive it is to have free camping. Last year I took our family on a holiday to SA. The cost on the Spirit was over $2K. It does make it hard to justify (we don't have a choice  :-[). I wouldn't have thought that there would be that many anyway? I can see how the Caravan Parks may not be happy about it though. I suppose the best solution would be for Councils to still own Caravan Parks like they did years ago, so they can turn a profit on them. Those days are pretty much over now though.. (Bridport and Greens Beach Caravan parks are still counciled owned, I don't know of any others).

2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
Being a Tasmanian stuck on the 'mainland',  First 1 year doesn't make a person Tasmanian, heck 4 generations used to be the minimum;) Tassie has always been around mining, tourism and the best fruit and veges in the world, for that matter everything else there is pretty much the best in the world but I digress.  Councils may subsidise the camping facilities but everyone there knows the tourist dollar subsidises the economy.  It would have to be a real nong to get rid of facilities that keep people coming back.
First aid training and supplies.
First aid is NOT a bandaid solution.

Offline ants

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 08:35:37 AM »
... First 1 year doesn't make a person Tasmanian, heck 4 generations used to be the minimum;) ...

I see your point, however can trace my family heritage here back to something like 1807 when members of my family were evacuated from Norfolk Island and granted land in Sandy Bay.  In fact I have a first fleet ancestor buried in St Davids Park (as well as other ancestors buried in places like the old cemetary at Sorell) so figure I was actually a Tasmanian living on the mainland for a few years ;)

It's an interesting discussion this one and I am glad I raised the topic.  From what I can understand of the background, it is the free campgrounds that are (effectively) in competition to the caravan parks that are causing the issue. 

While free sites are a great thing to have, should these be "subsidised" a the detriment of the commercial parks?  Obviously positives and negatives to the various opinions.

One place that springs to mind is Bothwell.  No commercial park, and the council van facilities are pretty much smack in the middle of town.  Awesome situation in my humble opinion, and the times I have through Bothwell there generally seems to be a few vans or motorhomes making use of the facilities. 

I suppose the thrust of my original post (which I didn't articulate very well obviously) was the EXPECTATION by some, that free campsites, run by councils, in the middle of towns which also offer commercial parks, and offering all RV facilities, should be the norm.  Or at least, should be widely available because of the cost of transport across the creek.
Anthony
2010 Jayco Hawk OUtback
2008 Nissan Navara D40

Offline cootha

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:27:34 AM »
Was gonna do tassie for 2 weeks this christmas with the trailer, the missus and four kids in tow.  We were all set to go and then did the sums on Spirit of Tasmania, the cheapest we could get was $2500 return for all of us. $2500!!!  :'(   It is cheaper for us all to fly to NZ and hire a camper, or rent a house up the coast for a week.  It's ridiculous how expensive that boat is.

Forget the campsites, you taswegians should be subsidising the boat to make it much cheaper, then you would get a lot more tourists.  >:D

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
The Shire run free campground I looked at was at Hamilton (I think).  Here, there was no commercial alternative (to my knowledge).  It was a well maintained area with good facilities. 

It  looks as if has been established to encourage travellers to stay a few nights and spend a bit of money locally (long term camping for 4 or more nights was not allowed, I think).

I think it is a good strategy in towns like this to do this.  I can see, however, in other places that "commercially run" parks may not like the subsidised competition.

Agree wholeheartedly with cootha.  It was cheaper for us for me to take the tug and ct over on the spirit and for the others to fly over and have me meet them at Launceston airport.  Making the most of special offers (ie the current $75 one way - $150 return) is a must - but may not fit holiday schedules of young families.  Taking the morning boat with no reserved seating seems cheaper too.

Anyway - we're still going over, just love the place.
2009 Coromal 452

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »
yea round $1500 for us, and no cheaper to fly family over than take the boat...

day boat does save you a bomb though if its sailign when you wanna go
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GLC

• Swag User
    • Give Life Center
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »
should have seen what it used to cost before the subsidisation;)

I agree their is a big difference between an expectation and an offer:)  I still think that hte commercial sites are pretty good in Tassie as they usually have a few extras like Pools and rec rooms.  it is this added benefit that separates the commercial from the casual facility:)
First aid training and supplies.
First aid is NOT a bandaid solution.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
Just checked out Spirit website again.

Vehicle - Rodeo - $93 each way.

Vehicle & CT - $391 each way.

So - $600 extra for the CT spread over 10 days.

They need to decide where theyre going to hit your hip pocket!!  On the ferry, or in the campground.

There will be a lot of free camping done!!

2009 Coromal 452

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
Spent a couple weeks in Tassie a few years ago and from what I could see , during the holiday season there 's a definite   shortage of available park sites. Places like Stanley and La Trobe have parks as well as free camps and seem to work well for the town, and with out the free sites places like these would miss out on the tourist dollar big time. I think maybe some parks need to be given an off season concession on council rate's or something similar. Then there are parks like Crayfish creek (or as we call it crab creek lodge) that are probably on lease land and are very cheaply run(also reflected in the facility's) but can charge the same dollar as a park in town with higher up keep. People have to remember. Its a personal choice to own or run/manage a park and if there's no money in it make it work or get out.
From memory the thing that killed most council run parks was public Liability, which is why they leased them out and I also agree the boat is to dear. 
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »
Seeing as this is a "rant" thread - here I go....

Why the hell do they take taxes from me to pay for all these parks etc, then tell me I have to pay to park, pay to camp, pay to visit, pay to see.

I've allready bloody paid you nimrods!!!
Fair enough a user pays system is fair - Those who don't use it don't pay, but we do. We're taxed for it.
I know this has been done before, but free camping should be encouraged as it promotes tourism etc.
I've done numerous outback trips using free camps, but spent an arm and a leg in the shops or servos.
Utilised the local restaurants, takes aways etc.
Yes we also stay in van parks and pay, but if a park owner is struggling so much - get out. Find another business.
If my business starts to lose money, I can't approach council to force poeple to use my services.
Hey mate, fine the buggers if they don't sign a contract with me.
Then when I've got more customers you can raise your rates with me to get more yourself.

I guess we all just need to appreciate the facilities like Tassie has to offer before they're all gone.
 They seem to be going real fast on the mainland....

Is that the bells of anarchy I can hear????
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline loshde

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »
I lived in the middle of Queensland for most of my adult life and the local town originally had four caravan parks of varying quality.  Two closed down over the years and they always appeared to be full especially during tourist season (winter).  This didn't stop the Caravan Parks whinging fairly constantly about the tourists staying in council areas (especially under the local train bridge next to the gardens).  As far as I am concerned I intend to stay under that very bridge when I next head up that way because I consider it almost as a right of passage after seeing so many people spend a night or two there meeting the locals, etc, over the years.  I can't wait.

Tassie almost feels like a second home to us as we are down there as often as we can get there.  At the end of the day Tassie really does survive on Tourism and it is marketed that way deliberately (remember it used to be called the Apple Isle not the Holiday Isle).  It would be a real shame to see the local council showground etc banned to the tourist as they supply a unique stay in my mind.  Caravan Parks are often full whenever we have visited and we often have been turned away, while they are perfect for most people, others just want something different and it isn't always about money.  We have always spent stacks of money whenever we visit (camping or motelling it).  I say keep the showgrounds, etc.

I agree that the ferry is very expensive (although I have seen it much worse), but we always just plan on a minimum of three weeks which helps to justify the cost I think.

Just my little rant!!

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »
Tasmanian Tourism really is lost.  It doesn't know where it is, where it wants to go or how to get there.

(Hope its okay to have an opinion on this, I do live here and mums crew date back to the settling of new norfolk on one side, probably with ANTS crew, and then back 35000 years on the other :)  )

Anyways, its lost and there really is no sunshine on the horizon.  The reason is simple - vested interests, definitive classes and an inbred government (on all sides).

Firstly the inbred government - On both sides is 'jobs for the boys' and who your daddy was.  We have a minister down here who struggles to breath and think at the same time but was elected because of his daddy.  Both sides are wedded to big business and the eternal struggle to stay in power regardless of the needs of the state.  The greens hold the balance and are pretty god damn useless as well.  There is no vision for the state for any of them.  Just look at the timber industry - whether it should stay or go is irrelevant cause its dying while they stuff around.  Decisions are based on supporting safe seats, mostly in the north of the state.

Secondly definitive classes - There are three very distinct classes.  The first is the welfare class.  These are hidden away from view in towns and suburbs rarely seen.  A whopping 35% of Tasmanians are dependant on welfare as their main source of income and of these 33% are not working and not looking.  There is very little desire for many of these people to better themselves which is sad.  I doubt many of these really give a rats about the cost of the spirit or whether myswaggers can afford to come across.  Many couldnt give a rats if you tell your friends its great or anything else.  Just the centrelink cash, a few smokes and some grog, maybe a vn commodore with some mags and they are happy.  Harsh but accurate IMO - wish it weren't so because the kids should have a bright future.  Many areas are on the third or fourth generation of dole dependency.

The next is the middle class.  Probably a fairly large portion and most are pretty happy.  Because the majority are from here they have their own groups and places they go together.  Shack life is a big thing down here and most people know someone with a shack (really a house by the water or the lake) and lots go there for their holidays.  Also, many have permanent setups, or virtual ownership, of free camps in places like Cockle Creek or near Strahan.  They always go there and are really happy.  There is no real drive for them to change the status quo.

Lastly is the wealthy, most old money.  You would be amazed how much old money there is down here.  And these are the people who have friends in the right places.  Mostly their idea of tourism is arty farty stuff like Mona where you can drink chardy while you gaze at moulds of animal genitals - I kid you not.  Anything to do with the high end of town they will be into.  Arts festivals and the like.  Anything that will look good in a photoshoot.  You know the style, a thin 30's something chick in a black dress looking dreamingly at a 40's bloke who is staring at cradle mountain while standing on some red carpet. 
And rabbit on about how wonderful the food is.  Its no better or worse than anything in Melb, Syd or even Canberra.

They think tourism can look after itself simply by allowing mainlainders in, pointing to the view and sending you off.  Even the Forestry Tasmania propaganda displays like Tahune Airwalk barely cater for campers and motorhomes.   A couple of years ago the govt contracted the fella who managed Victorias award winning jigsaw puzzle tourism campaign.  After six months he gave a warts and all mid contract briefing.  They sacked him the next day.

I think how poor it is is summed up by this experience;

Family came down and we took them on a cruise boat on the harbour. If ever you have a captive audience and a great way to showcase the state.  Cruising along and lunch, as part of the cost, is a shepherds pie.  I love shepherds pie - this one comes in one of those plastic chinese takeaway containers with a dollap of deb potato - in the state where pink eye taters rule!

And the commentary - "over here we have blackmans bay.  Its not called blackmans bay because the aboriginals lived there.  I dont know why its called blackmans bay.  There are no aboriginals there now so I have no idea why".  And then "this area over here was once a crayfish area but the govt stopped us fishing cause it was fished out.  They reckon there are some back there now so they should let us hey"

They wont even agree to put any sort of commercia tourism development on the icon of hobart - Mount Wellington.  No restaurant nestled into the rocks, no 4wd bus to take you to the top when it snows and god forbid a cable car from salamanca to the top to get the tourists in.

I really love Tasmania and there is SO much potential but it is just stagnent.  The place is could be the 'natural' Tourism capital of Australia.  There are hundreds of k's of abandoned rail lines that could be developed for 4wd tours, light rail through the mountains with remote bush camping - you get dropped off and another light rail comes the next day and you can jump back on.  All down the coast there should be camping areas that allow say two days of camping for a small fee - say $20.00 a night - to pay for some basic facilities like toilets and a camp kitchen area. 

Love the place - but dont hold your breath for anything to change any time soon. 

PS - They dont really care if you come or not - sorry.

Off to have a happy pill  8)

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline cootha

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »
a thin 30's something chick in a black dress looking dreamingly at a 40's bloke

that's it, i'm coming!  :laugh:

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »
Quote from: amaso57
So - $600 extra for the CT spread over 10 days.
they dont want your trailer... it should be same price as car as it takes up the same space... they want you to spend up the wazoo for a Shit motel at 5 star prices.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »

In 2007, my sister and I spent 11 days on the Island.  We flew down, rented a bed on wheels and did the touristy thing.  It cost us far less to do this (obviously) than to have driven down and did the whole camping thing.  It was wonderful to know that we could just shut the doors and drive somehwere at will. 

We stayed in quite a few Free Stops (read: where ever we felt we needed to), but also did the VP thing when we needed to charge things or couldn't stay anywhere else.  In two places we couldn't get into a VP and were forced to seek alternatives (ie: Free).  I believe this was because the VP's were so small (and had live-ins as well), that we just couldn't stay in our bed on wheels or get a cabin or room.

Of the VP's we did stay in, all were pay hot showers, clean and quiet, and we enjoyed our stay immensely for the entire trip, regardless of where we stayed.  Pity it wasn't a much longer trip.  We both plan to return eventually. 

One thing we did note, a few locals were a bit reckless on the roads on the odd occassion, which put us on high driving alert.

Kit_e

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »
Tasmanian Tourism really is lost.  It doesn't know where it is, where it wants to go or how to get there.

Family came down and we took them on a cruise boat on the harbour. If ever you have a captive audience and a great way to showcase the state.  Cruising along and lunch, as part of the cost, is a shepherds pie.  I love shepherds pie - this one comes in one of those plastic chinese takeaway containers with a dollap of deb potato - in the state where pink eye taters rule!

And the commentary - "over here we have blackmans bay.  Its not called blackmans bay because the aboriginals lived there.  I dont know why its called blackmans bay.  There are no aboriginals there now so I have no idea why".  And then "this area over here was once a crayfish area but the govt stopped us fishing cause it was fished out.  They reckon there are some back there now so they should let us hey"

Been on that Cruise!  Got the same "tour guide experience & food".

I think your comments are (unfortunately) quite valid. The Island doesnt seem to have a coherent strategy to entice mainland visitors over apart from the quick fly/drive experience.  These experiences are limited to the usual "honey pots" of Hobart & Port Arthur, Bay of Fires, West Coast & Cradle Mount/Lake St Claire.  I know that the island must have a lot else to offer, and thats what I want to experience.

Admittedly, it does seem to operate at a slower pace than the mainland - something akin to 1970's Victoria (as are most of the roads).

i still love the joint tho.  We are re thinking taking our camper over next year, and instead will take a touring tent with the camping gear, and look at doing some "Pub Stay" experiences along the way to break up the routine.

Know any cheap pubs on the East Coast?

:cheers:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:25:58 AM by amaso57 »
2009 Coromal 452

Offline Top.ender

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "I WONDER WHERE THIS TRACK GOES"
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 08:24:22 AM »
 If Tassie needs an injection of tourists perhaps Bob Brown could organize a few boat loads of illegal immigrants >:D >:D >:D

100 Series Diesel with lots of stuff
2014 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 10:34:22 AM »
Quote from: Top.ender
If Tassie needs an injection of tourists perhaps Bob Brown could organize a few boat loads of illegal immigrants >:D >:D >:D
arseholes to me payin for them to have a holiday. I hear the navy has run out of barges to test sink though.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
Was gonna do tassie for 2 weeks this christmas with the trailer, the missus and four kids in tow.  We were all set to go and then did the sums on Spirit of Tasmania, the cheapest we could get was $2500 return for all of us. $2500!!!  :'(   It is cheaper for us all to fly to NZ and hire a camper, or rent a house up the coast for a week.  It's ridiculous how expensive that boat is.

Forget the campsites, you taswegians should be subsidising the boat to make it much cheaper, then you would get a lot more tourists.  >:D

take the ct and vehicle to NZ wonder what that would cost ? I know flights to Tasmania are reasonable I have just taken the 4wd and CT over on the boat did a bit of research I flew the kids and the wife over at $49/head one way I left the night before picked them up the next morning cost me just under $800.00 one way for 5 of us a tad expensive but not at the fares you are suggesting - just do a bit of research and you will find it is not that bad
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline cootha

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »

take the ct and vehicle to NZ wonder what that would cost ? I know flights to Tasmania are reasonable I have just taken the 4wd and CT over on the boat did a bit of research I flew the kids and the wife over at $49/head one way I left the night before picked them up the next morning cost me just under $800.00 one way for 5 of us a tad expensive but not at the fares you are suggesting - just do a bit of research and you will find it is not that bad

yeah, i looked into that and it is cheaper.  Will be doing that next year.  The reason I said the NZ thing is that is exactly what we did 2 years ago.  Were gonna go to tassie and it was too expensive and ended up going to NZ and hiring a camper.  And now to be a real devils advocate  >:D I gotta say the south island of NZ is the same as tassie, except 1000 times better.   >:D >:D >:D.  I do love tassie though, been there many times on the bike.  But I digress, back on topic eh.