Author Topic: G'day from Coffs  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
G'day from Coffs
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:00:47 PM »
G'day all.

I've been a camper trailer camper for about 18 months now. Grew up in Coffs, lived most of my adult life in Wisconsin, USA, but finally talked the boss into moving here a couple of years ago. With the cash we brought from liquidating our lives we bought a <10k brand X cheapo soft floor camper trailer and a 2004 Pajero diesel with 300k on it.
I did as much research as I could on brand X, and didn't find much in the way of negative reviews, so I took a gamble, figuring if I took good care of it and upgraded anything that was truly bad it should be up to the task. My figuring was wrong, and while the trailer might be fine for people who only dust it off once or twice a year, we like to go at least once a month, and despite my best efforts it continues to fall apart and fail with every trip we take.
I didn't have much more luck with the pajero, a month after we bought it the fuel pump packed it in, costing us over 5k to rebuild. At the time we considered scrapping it, but decided to commit, fixed the pump, added a lift, bash plates, 6 new tyres, etc etc. But it never stopped being a problem either.

But that's where the sadness ends, because those 2 money pits established beyond a shadow of a doubt that my wife and our 2 daughters, who had never camped before leaving the USA, absolutely LOVE camping. Cannot get enough of it. And if we can't camp on a given weekend, we like to be on the beach. They're not quite as big on 4WDing, but I'm working on that...

So a couple of months ago we said bugger it, got rid of the problematic paj, found a 2009 Patrol with only 77k on it in pretty close to immaculate condition and with most of the extras already, and just 8 sleeps from now we take delivery of a Jayco swan outback. We considered another soft floor of higher quality, but with loading it up, setting up the tent, and working out of tubs and bags, compared to the swan's 15 minutes setup time and cupboards and shelves so that everything is always in place it was a pretty easy choice.
We don't want to do work, we just want to camp, and we want to be able to do it at the drop of a hat, and we reckon the swan will allow that, while still being able to get to all the places a smaller offroad trailer can.

So I mainly joined this forum to ask fellow swan owners questions, but there's plenty of good stuff here, so you'll be seeing me around. Cheers!

PS - if there are any Coffs area folks here, we LOVE Illaroo and Pebbly beach campgrounds in Yuraygir NP, and Platypus Flat outside Dorrigo, and DID NOT LOVE Woody Head campground at Iluka. We have a lot more exploring to do, so please feel free to hit me with suggestions if you know a place you think we'd like, it'd be much appreciated!

KingBilly

Re: G'day from Coffs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:05:11 PM »
Welcome to myswag.  Sounds like you are going to be well set up with the Patrol and Jayco.

Happy camping
KB

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 05:05:11 AM »
Welcome mate, there are lots of great spots around here!

Haven't camped at Woody since I was a kid, sometimes drive in there but only to look around.

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
Gday and welcome Hookie.

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:09:04 PM »
hey Hookie

welcome, long time resident of coffs here...

kev
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:36:28 AM »
Cheers everyone.  :cheers:

Hey Woopioffroad, I am quite familiar with your work! This just made it onto my list of place to check out - https://www.4x4australia.com.au/explore/nsw/1707/chaelundi-national-park-nsw

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
Cheers everyone.  :cheers:

Hey Woopioffroad, I am quite familiar with your work! This just made it onto my list of place to check out - https://www.4x4australia.com.au/explore/nsw/1707/chaelundi-national-park-nsw

thanks for that- sharing is caring.
you'll love Chaelundi... nothing hard- just different. If your ever after a day out lat me know and we can organise a day trip
Kev

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 05:01:51 AM »
If your ever after a day out lat me know and we can organise a day trip

Thanks for the offer Kev, I'll definitely take you up on it some time. Would be awesome to pick the brains of someone with as much local knowledge as you have. My team are fine with offroading as long as there's a destination, like a swimming hole or waterfall or just somewhere nice for lunch. I've taken them on a few trails around the place but never found anything like that so I'm starting to lose them! I'll have to hold the offer in reserve though, because these next few weeks are going to be busy.

We pick up the swan on Friday, so right now that is everything. I'm expecting it'll take quite a few weekends of work and test runs to get it all set up, especially if we have to wait for decent weather. I'm thinking of shooting up to Station Creek (or Pebbly if the tides are right) for our first night this Saturday, if the weather's not awful, but that looks like a pretty big if right now.

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »
anytime...
even if you can't get across to pebbly, try station camp ground ( straight on at the bins )......

so many great ( free and NP ) camping around here within a 2 hour drive
Kev

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »
anytime...
even if you can't get across to pebbly, try station camp ground ( straight on at the bins )......

What about Mutt friendly? I'm about 1.5hrs south at the Rocks, not a lot of dog friendly stuff around we have found

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
What about Mutt friendly? I'm about 1.5hrs south at the Rocks, not a lot of dog friendly stuff around we have found

unfortunately not there, the coolest i can recommend would be the Nymbodia Canoe centre
Kev

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
unfortunately not there, the coolest i can recommend would be the Nymbodia Canoe centre
Yeah there are a few places like that around, cracknback, kunderang, etc..prefer beach places though like delicate knobby.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »
anytime...

Every time we go to Pebbly we promise ourselves we're going to at least drive through Station for a look, but we forget every time because we're too keen to get there or too keen to get the unhappiness of going home over with.
Definitely want to check out some free camps. We love the national parks, but we know there's good free ones around too. Got a date with my parents at Little Styx near Ebor in December. It's dog friendly and looks pretty tranquil. Plenty of exploring to do around Ebor too.

Campground - https://www.caravanontour.com/free-campsites-and-low-cost-camping/new-south-wales/new-south-wales-camping-campsites/2303-little-styx-river-campground.html
Hoping to check out this drive too - https://www.4x4australia.com.au/explore/nsw/1708/aberfoyle-tableland-track-nsw

Nymboida Canoe Centre and West Kunderang are both on my to do list. Only 3 more sleeps till I get my new camper...

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
prefer beach places though like delicate knobby.

That one's new to me, just made the list! We prefer beach too, I'd be in the ocean every day if I could. We'd probably be happy camping every weekend for the rest of our lives at Pebbly or Illaroo, but I do love the Aussie bush too. Missed it more than I realised when I was living OS for a decade.

Offline Proudy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
Welcome. Pebbly one of our fav spots we try and spend a week there every January.Will be there there this coming Jan for 10 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Landcruiser 76 with lots of fruit