Author Topic: Home Alarm Systems  (Read 6457 times)

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Home Alarm Systems
« on: October 28, 2018, 02:08:22 PM »
The other week I got a call from my mums monitored alarm company saying it was going off.
The long and short of it was, they got in to her house but as soon as they did, the scream siren was too much and they legged it empty handed.
Id been thinking about putting in a camera system at home, but now this has got me thinking that a scream siren system that sent a sms to me would be better, as cameras are really just for identifying the assholes, not preventing the house being ransacked, which is what they tend to do now.
Im thinking a hard wired system with motion detectors, and maybe 2 internal and one external screamers. Not really wanting window and door reed switches. Can they be set at night to not monitor our main bedroom, as I work shift and it would be good for Elaine.
Ive got 2 dogs, so are there pet friendly sensors that you can use. Not wanting to spend a fortune too, so diy, with a sparkie mate to do anything licensed.
School me on the options Swaggers.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
Re: Home Alarm Systems
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 02:18:34 PM »
Hi Glen,
You can get a quality system for approx $1.5K-$2K  installed..
P1Rs - motion sensors.
Pieso screamers (internal in house),  and external with strobe.
Having one or 2 internally is a grest idea because it makes it very unpleasant for the crims to hang around...
Zoned sectors- with daytime monitoring "chime alarms"...
Hard wired smo6le detectors

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 02:32:21 PM »
Just been through this myself.. having a mate in the industry helps

Kit cost me $800 + fitting for recording unit with 3TB drive in it, wiring kit, 4x good quality cameras (not Swann which he calls Black and Gold quality) then got sparky to wire them up to the recording unit at home..

I can also access it and all cameras from my mobile phone from anywhere that has signal.. very useful for making sure things are happening that they say are happening around home.

When Pete was showing me his setup, he showed me a recorded incident from a few weeks before, some scrote walking up the street going through cars, then went through his neighbours ute after lifting the tarp, then to Petes place when scrote spotted the cameras, instantly hid his face and farkt off in a hurry. Cops have also used his footage for other incidents in the park across from his house.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »

Kit cost me $800 + fitting for recording unit with 3TB drive in it, wiring kit, 4x good quality cameras (not Swann which he calls Black and Gold quality) then got sparky to wire them up to the recording unit at home..

I can also access it and all cameras from my mobile phone from anywhere that has signal.. very useful for making sure things are happening that they say are happening around home.

When Pete was showing me his setup, he showed me a recorded incident from a few weeks before, some scrote walking up the street going through cars, then went through his neighbours ute after lifting the tarp, then to Petes place when scrote spotted the cameras, instantly hid his face and farkt off in a hurry. Cops have also used his footage for other incidents in the park across from his house.

Any chance of listing the make and model and any other info.  Sounds like it would suit me.
Cheers
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
I wasnt really after cameras though, cause some scrotes now just cover their faces up, and its really just helping identifying them after the damage is done. Hence why I was thinking screamers that are just too loud for them to be able to stay in the house.

Cheers Glen

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 03:49:54 PM »
Hi Glen,

Hard wired smo6le detectors

Our system also has that feature, only problem we did not know that when we first moved in.
Burnt the "chops" one night while cooking dinner, next thing smoke alarm going ballistic, tried poking the broom at the ceiling detector to shut up with no success, it was only when I headed outside to get ladder that I seen the blue flashing strobe going that twigged me that the smoke alarm was wire thru the alarm. Put alarm code in and soon shut the noise up.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »
Set the parents alarm off recently, the internal screamers were crazy loud, I think your right that they would be a greater deterrent than camera's.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »
get the combo smoke detectors what run photoelectric and ion...
With the hardwired ones wired into zone(s) in an alarm system - you should be able to reset them via the key pad..

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 08:03:27 PM »

Also would like to know the camera.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 05:40:17 AM »
Have a look at the Ness gear, easy to get, reliable and easy to find techs who can work on it. We have a monitored Ness with remote on/off, screamers/sirens the lot. Had it installed for over 10 years, other than replacing the battery backup and keeping the sensors clean from insects etc. nothing else to do. It hasn't been set off in anger yet. You would be looking at $2K fully installed and $1/day for monitoring.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 05:57:40 AM »
I tried setting a few booby traps around stuff here.

Last week, I had a need to do some work near a window in the shed.       
I had a 3 inch nail go through my right thong just missing the side of my foot.
Friggin close too, the nail rubbed up against the side of my foot as it came through the thong.

Starting to rethink the plan a bit now.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 06:18:55 AM »
I tried setting a few booby traps around stuff here.

are you hunting for bra's  >:D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 06:23:36 AM »
are you hunting for bra's  >:D

ha ha ha,.... ya dag.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 06:41:21 AM »
I had the unfortunate experience of being broken into last year. Having a chat to the uniformed people that attended, their recommendation was was an alarm with the biggest MoFo siren you could get inside and outside, to get the attention of everyone nearby. Don't bother with back to base as by the time anyone responds it's way too late, but text alert is handy so you know it has gone off.

In my case, PIR's weren't an option due to pets, so to fit an alarm I would have needed to fit reed switches to the doors and some windows, which was not an easy task, so I went the camera route with a 6 camera system back to a discretely located hard drive. Mount all of the cameras in visible locations where the grubs will see them, and put up signs to show surveillance cameras are in use. That will generally be enough to deter the opportunists. I'm using all Hikvision gear, and on the motion detect setting, I can get 5 weeks of video from the 6 camera's on the harddrive.

I also put a siren box with a strobe under the eves in a highly visible spot. There's no siren in it and the strobe is not connected to anything, but hopefully it's enough to make the grubs think twice ?

Can I suggest sending a PM to Patroldude, he's in the business and has helped a few Myswagger's out in the past (including me) He's based in Rockhampton, but will ship gear anywhere, and will give you the right advise and a variety of options.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:22:17 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 09:35:47 AM »
When we renovated our house around 10 years ago we had an alarm put in and used it for a couple of years, but then got sick of it going off for no apparent reason and upsetting the neighbours, so haven’t used it for 5+ years.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
Any chance of listing the make and model and any other info.  Sounds like it would suit me.
Yea sorry been busy... I'll email Pete for some info.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 03:09:09 PM »
I had the unfortunate experience of being broken into last year. Having a chat to the uniformed people that attended, their recommendation was was an alarm with the biggest MoFo siren you could get inside and outside, to get the attention of everyone nearby. Don't bother with back to base as by the time anyone responds it's way too late, but text alert is handy so you know it has gone off.

Can I suggest sending a PM to Patroldude, he's in the business and has helped a few Myswagger's out in the past (including me) He's based in Rockhampton, but will ship gear anywhere, and will give you the right advise and a variety of options.

Thanks Spada, thats along the lines of my thoughts too. I might be able to isolate dogs to the laundry only, and allow me to monitor rest of house.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 05:29:15 AM »
Thanks Spada, thats along the lines of my thoughts too. I might be able to isolate dogs to the laundry only, and allow me to monitor rest of house.

The Ness sensors I suggested above have a 'pet aware' mode.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »
When we renovated our house around 10 years ago we had an alarm put in and used it for a couple of years, but then got sick of it going off for no apparent reason and upsetting the neighbours, so haven’t used it for 5+ years.

Guessing the quality and/or location of the PIR's might be the reason for the false triggering.

We have 1 x Ness system (nearly 20 years old), and 3 x Bosch systems (1 nearly 20 years old), and none give false alarms. Very similar units in appearance and operation.
Years ago we did have an issue with the pet-friendly PIR in the garage playing up, but that was swapped out for a different pet-friendly unit and no issues since.
The unit in our own home is back-to-base capable, but it's programmed to call me for the reasons Spada stated.

I installed the last 2 Bosch systems myself. A very simple job, made much easier by the plain English programming instructions supplied by the seller. The manufacturers programming instructions aren't easy to decipher....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 09:04:12 PM »
I've installed a heck of a lot of systems over the years, but you can't beat HikVision for cameras and Ness for alarms

The Hikvision cameras are awesome. Trouble free and excellent backup service.

Never had a problem with any system.

(disclaimer - Have had a few issues where customers internet drops out and you lose remote access, but this is not the cameras fault!!! - Lets not mention the NBN)
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 11:15:48 PM »
the thing I don't like about reeds is that if someone wants to do a number on ya, reeds can be easily defeated with a magnet...   (probably more applicable in regards to employee crime,  not domestic B&Es though?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 05:23:11 AM »
I've installed a heck of a lot of systems over the years, but you can't beat HikVision for cameras and Ness for alarms

What he said :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »
My 2 cents worth.

After 33 years of assessing security  for domestic, commercial,  government,  high court judges, MPs etc I have a pretty good handle on what works well.

Firstly get your physical security up to scratch. Solid core doors. Quality locks and security screen doors (Make sure they meet AS 5039-2008) eliminate the ability for the opportunistic offender to get to the doors and windows that the want to get at. The Victorian stats I used to preach were that in 92% of burgs the point of entry was a door or window. 80% of these were doors or windows that couldn't be seen from the street or neighbouring property.  Stop them getting to these doors and windows and your house will look a lot less attractive to the thief when he is doing his risk analysis.  Gates and fences play a critical role here. Ask a 12 year old to get into your back yard or down the side. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to scale a fence using a zulu bin or gas meter as a help up.

Physical security buys you time and has a large deterrent value. Alarm systems whilst having some deterrent value usually only tell you when someone has broken in which I am sure you would prefer not to happen in the first place

For the home with little or no previous history of victimization and no current threat a simple, self monitored quality alarm system that complies with AS/NZS 2201.1:2007 is more than adequate. Couple this to a quality internal IP camera or two placed in main living area or thoroughfare and you are set.
This Australian standard also covers installation which is critical to reliability and performance.

What this gives you is the ability for you to self monitor with no on-going expense and to relay live information to emergency services whilst watching it on your smartphone..

Hello 000  I wish to report a hot burg. I am currently watching two heads rifling through my cupboards.  The response you will get that call will amaze you in the metropolitain area. Every detective, traffic, GD etc member  loves a confirmed hot job.....

Go for the recorded CCTV if you can afford it but be aware that 95% of footage supplied to police is of nil value.  Hoods and hats or the tops of heads.

AS/NZS 2201.1:2007
Intruder alarm systems Client's premises - Design, installation,AS/NZS 2201.1:2007 commissioning and maintenance
Standards Australia

Sorry if my response is a little long winded.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:15:11 PM by feisty »
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle
The following users thanked this post: boobook, GeoffA, Fizzie

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »

The Hikvision cameras are awesome. Trouble free and excellent backup service.
they are the cameras I have mated to recording system with 3TB drive.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »
Sorry if my response is a little long winded.....

Not at all Feisty, because that's exactly what those of us who are interested, want / need to hear :cup:
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday