Author Topic: Tropical Roof ???  (Read 3877 times)

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
Tropical Roof ???
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
Tropical roof, are they worth the hype or just a pain in the bum. And do they flap around in strong winds ?

Offline peteandkyles

• Swag User
  • Prado 2008 GXL & 2010 Kimberley Kamper
Re: Tropical Roof ???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
Tropical roof, are they worth the hype or just a pain in the bum. And do they flap around in strong winds ?

I feel they make a big difference in the sun. The camper is definatelly a lot cooler. And yes they flap like crazy in any wind.

Oh my god this is meant to be the desert!! Where did this water come from?

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 06:12:40 AM »
Great kit stops the heat oif the sun, creates an air space between the fly & the CT roof .  All you need is a polly tarp or similar to stop direct suns force . If its windy , at night take it down but thats not the only thing that will drive you mad . Check out the threads on flys on the foram  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
Our Tropical Roof on a Lifestyle Extenda is absolutely brilliant, and we wouldn't be without it. Despite the roof peak's being the same height, our annex is far hotter than the inside tent because of it. Ours is fixed at each bow and has its own cross-bow pole to maximise space between it and the roof, plus it has a rope at each end to keep it taught. We've never noticed it to be flapping or noisy at all. Added bonus is that the rain sheets off it instead of hitting the main roof.

It was a standard feature on ours, but I'd value it at $500+.

Photos of the roof can be seen here: http://lifestylecampertrailers.com.au/camper-trailer-gallery/index.php?album=lifestyle-extenda&page=2

Offline Strider

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Has any one had any luck designing or fitting a tropical roof to an existing camper. I would love on on my 2003 Camel. Unfortunately the Camel Group tell me they cant easily fit their tropical roof to tents originally manufactured with out it.
Cheers
Alan

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »
Strider ,    at the risk of upsetting you or them re tropical fly not being able to retro fit to what ever CT       ( dont ask my reply as it may make a sailor blush ) I do think if you think it really can be done . PM me to discuss   :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline BradandPeta

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I have a friend's with Jayco's ... I need new ones
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
Tropical roofs are excellent ours keeps it darker cooler and warmer and doesn't flap and also keeps crap off the main tent .. Would replace it or have another one in a heart beat