Author Topic: Gday, Contemplating a Complete Campsite.  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
Gday, Contemplating a Complete Campsite.
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:13:10 PM »

Gday Everyone,

We are a family of 3, me (Daniel) my wife (Kelly) and my 1month old (William).  My wife and I are both teachers so we try and get away every holiday, not as easy at the moment as I have to fill the car up, set the tent, tarp and kitchen up, takes a few hours to get 'correctly' set up. I have been reading the forums here for a while now and have finally got the go ahead from the wife to pull the trigger on our newest investment, a camper trailer. Have read hundreds of posts on the different campers, opinions, modifications and reviews, and think I have narrowed down my search.

We are currently looking at spending around the 30k mark.. Its a big investment, we have been saving for the last two years! We are looking at a Complete Campsite Jabiru with modifications to suit what we want (currently quoted about $34500). Have been to their showroom and to both the Newcastle and Sydney shows this year and last to look around. We have a 2010 Toyota Prado so whatever we end up with pulling it shouldn't be a problem.

I have thought about the second hand route but my brother in law went that way and had some serious problems a few years later so we are a little hesitant. Although we would get a lot more bang for our buck! and I know plenty of people have no problems.

We do 3 weeks a year up the NSW east coast, 3 one week blocks at caravan parks. Then throughout the year we do bush camping where we can. Once the little one gets a few years older we are looking at going north for a few months to tour the top end, so we want something that can do some serious off-roading. We are looking to buy for the next 10years, wont be upgrading anytime soon if we fork out this much.

My brother-in-law ended up getting a TrakShak, and he loves it.. We really like it as well, however I have heard they are not built to the same standard they where a few years ago. I have yet to get into their showroom to talk to them.

Our Non-negotiables are;

1) Quick setup and packup - less than 20min for overnight and less than 1h for a week stay
2) Built tough - can do the top end eventually - last us a good 10 years
3) Can fit up to a family of 5
4) Can take bikes and a tinnie and plenty of storage.

We are not 100%percent (just 99%) set on Complete Campsite, we just love their build quality, service and design but we are open to anyone else's suggestions or ideas. We are looking to place an order that will give us our unit no later than November so we still have a few months before I have to lock anything in.

Sorry for the huge first post!! but as you all know its a big commitment and id rather be over informed!

Cheers guys! Thanks in advance for all the help!

Daniel

2010 Complete Campsite Uluru 13ft xt
2010 Toyota Prado

scarps

Re: Gday, Contemplating a Complete Campsite.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:16:23 PM »
Welcome to myswag guys, great to have you on board. Nothing wrong with what you've picked, but for your budget, I'd ask if you've checked out Trackabout CT's as a comparison.

Offline RedcliffeRover

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »
G'day and welcome to the forum

We have just recently purchased a camel camper bushman expedition.

We had a good look around before deciding on this, second hand 2012 model.

This camper has all the fruit. X2 100amp batteries, fridge slide, stainless kitchen, walk in, full off road, solar, water tanks etc.

All aussie made and we love it. We were looking at complete campsite as well, but we reckon we got better value for money with this camper.

I am a teacher as well but my Wife is an engineer so doesn't get the holidays we get....but still hope to get the camper out as much as we can

Cheers and happy hunting
Camel Bushman 2012
Subaru outback 2005 ...... Loving the subie but might need a cruiser soon

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
Welcome to myswag guys, great to have you on board. Nothing wrong with what you've picked, but for your budget, I'd ask if you've checked out Trackabout CT's as a comparison.

Thanks mate,

Yeah Ive had a brief look at them, the wife hasnt seen one in person though, how long does the quick (overnight) and full (annexes and all) setup take you? They do look like a pretty tidy unit.
2010 Toyota Prado

scarps

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »

Thanks mate,

Yeah Ive had a brief look at them, the wife hasnt seen one in person though, how long does the quick (overnight) and full (annexes and all) setup take you? They do look like a pretty tidy unit.
unzip the cover, fold, push up the tent, 4 pegs and 2 poles, swmbo and I can be set up in 10minutes without unhooking from the 4by. Another 10minutes to put the kitchen awning with 4 spreaders, 4 poles, 4 pegs/ropes.
Depending on the flatness/level of the site, add another 5minutes to unhitch and wind down the 4 legs. A bit longer if site not level and you need to chock a wheel etc.

We've only installed the kitchen walls (in full) once last Easter and my memory would be at best another 10minutes. 

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »
unzip the cover, fold, push up the tent, 4 pegs and 2 poles, swmbo and I can be set up in 10minutes without unhooking from the 4by. Another 10minutes to put the kitchen awning with 4 spreaders, 4 poles, 4 pegs/ropes.

Thanks mate! Yeah will have to take the wife to see one first hand. They have a pretty good write up and plenty of people out there love them.
Good thing is I still have a few months! so plenty of time to get some more research done!
2010 Toyota Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
Check the trader section theres a couple in there.. let someone else lose the "delivery and initial ownership tax"
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »

All aussie made and we love it. We were looking at complete campsite as well, but we reckon we got better value for money with this camper.
Yeah the complete campsite are a nice kit indeed but they know how to charge for it!! thats the hard part to justify.
I am a teacher as well but my Wife is an engineer so doesn't get the holidays we get....but still hope to get the camper out as much as we can

Yeah we are pretty lucky! gives us some good time to get out an about! just see how the little one copes with it now!

Cheers for your help. Will try and drop into their Sydney factory to check them out these holidays.
2010 Toyota Prado

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »
Check the trader section theres a couple in there.. let someone else lose the "delivery and initial ownership tax"

Thanks mate, yeah have been watching the classifieds for a good 6 months now! I have inspected 2 so far, they hold their value well thats for sure! People still asking a solid price for them! You pay a fair bit extra for the 'new' tax!
2010 Toyota Prado

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »
We loved ours. Love the self supporting awning. Great service and quality product.I only used 2 pegs at the door most times. Great kitchen. We optioned all inclosed sides, heaps of storage.
If you want to know anything specific let me  know.
Renno :cheers:

Offline RedcliffeRover

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »
Yeah the complete campsite are a nice kit indeed but they know how to charge for it!! thats the hard part to justify.   
Yeah we are pretty lucky! gives us some good time to get out an about! just see how the little one copes with it now!

Cheers for your help. Will try and drop into their Sydney factory to check them out these holidays.
We have a 4 year old and an 18month old and they love camping. We have to watch the youngest so she doesn't wander off, but taking a play pen and lots of toys helps :)
All the best with the search.
Camel Bushman 2012
Subaru outback 2005 ...... Loving the subie but might need a cruiser soon

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:26:10 PM »
And don't forget all Complete Campsite Campers, don't require all those ropes and pegs for awnings etc that you can fall over.  I had a Complete Campsite Kakadu XT16.  towed it all thought the High country, out to Cameron Corner, lake Eyre, flinders rangers etc.  Great build quality and Customer service.  Yes you may pay a bit more but you get get what you pay for, quality Build, quality in all their inclusions.  Loved it so much that when I sold it I now have the Complete Campsite Hard floor Fraser, and have towed that to the Cape and also through the High Country.  Bot are so easy and quick to set up, both would take 10mins and if you want the awning approx another 10mins max.  Highly recommended and they hold their values, not like some, and yes one on these will last at least 10 years subject to looking after it like anything else, enjoy your hunt

Cheers
Carl
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
And don't forget all Complete Campsite Campers, don't require all those ropes and pegs for awnings etc that you can fall over.  I had a Complete Campsite Kakadu XT16.  towed it all thought the High country, out to Cameron Corner, lake Eyre, flinders rangers etc.  Great build quality and Customer service.  Yes you may pay a bit more but you get get what you pay for, quality Build, quality in all their inclusions.  Loved it so much that when I sold it I now have the Complete Campsite Hard floor Fraser, and have towed that to the Cape and also through the High Country.  Bot are so easy and quick to set up, both would take 10mins and if you want the awning approx another 10mins max.  Highly recommended and they hold their values, not like some, and yes one on these will last at least 10 years subject to looking after it like anything else, enjoy your hunt
Thanks Carl, yeah all your points are pretty much our main selling points. You get what you pay for.. yes you pay that bit extra.. but they are that extra bit above so many other campers I have seen! And the resale on them is incredible, thats the main reason we are looking new.. Great to hear someone who has enjoyed their complete campsite and can justify the cash!! Thanks for the reply.
2010 Toyota Prado

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »

Thanks Carl, yeah all your points are pretty much our main selling points. You get what you pay for.. yes you pay that bit extra.. but they are that extra bit above so many other campers I have seen! And the resale on them is incredible, thats the main reason we are looking new.. Great to hear someone who has enjoyed their complete campsite and can justify the cash!! Thanks for the reply.

You are welcome Daniel, please feel free to contact me if you want any more info, there are a few complete owners on this forum and I can put you in touch with some if you want other opinions and Renno who has also commented here is a good reference point and he was my sounding board when I was looking.  Next time you talk to Grant or Jodie at Complete tell them Carl said to look after your, I am sure they will

Cheers
Carl
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
G'day Daniel,

We have a CC also,it started out as a jabiru but turned into a Uluru with the kitchen from the jabiru if that makes sense ?
It is our second camper and after 5 years owning another brand we are very happy with our choice of camper. We where very interested in a trackabout also,but after having a good look over a CC and spending some time with Grant we didn't even look at the trackabout.
If you want to know anything just ask. Where are you guys located ?
Welcome to my swag,lots of info to be had here.

Cheers matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:50:45 PM »
G'day Daniel,

We have a CC also,it started out as a jabiru but turned into a Uluru with the kitchen from the jabiru if that makes sense ?
It is our second camper and after 5 years owning another brand we are very happy with our choice of camper. We where very interested in a trackabout also,but after having a good look over a CC and spending some time with Grant we didn't even look at the trackabout.
If you want to know anything just ask. Where are you guys located ?

Thanks Matt, We are in Rouse Hill, Sydney. Yeah once you have a good look at them you seem to be hooked dont you! We are heading up to see Grant and Neil in a few weeks time to go through a bit more detail and work out some more accurate costings. Any upgrades you would say you cant go without? I would like to add the boat loader in the end so will get the brackets mounted and we are going the 16ft tent. Thats about it until I sit down with him and go through the nitty gritty.
2010 Toyota Prado

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
Daniel,

We where only going to get the brackets for the boat rack too,but when they explained that we would still have to go back to them to fit the boat rack as they still have too weld and paint.....we desided to just fit the rack from the start.
We made sure we added another battery,dc/dc charger,extra water tank,independant suspension,the 16 ft tent,an extra gas bayonet,extra led strip in tent,annex walls,gas hot water and the closed in sides.We then supplied our own wheels and tyres and our own fridge.
The only thing I would maybe change would be getting the smaller tent (maybe),as we only have one child at the moment but have 2 large dogs that often come with us.
I would of loved the diesel heater,but could justify the $$$ and we had reached our budget limit.
Good luck with your choice,you can't go wrong with a Complete campsite.
Any other questions feel free to ask.

Cheers matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
supplied our own wheels and tyres and our own fridge.
The only thing I would maybe change would be getting the smaller tent (maybe),as we only have one child at the moment but have 2 large dogs that often come with us.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Would you of changed to the smaller tent because you have way too much space? or because it is a bit heavier to set up? We are looking at the 16ft because we are hoping to have another child or two but at the moment with just us 3 and 1 small dog sounds like we will be pretty similar to you.

Thanks agin for the info sounds like a pretty similar build to what we are after!

Cheers,

Daniel
2010 Toyota Prado

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
Welcome and good luck with the search for your complete campsite, I just checked them out and they look like a really good unit.
I am in the same boat as you with budget and family size wise and are in the process of finding our (new) camper too.
After much time and research i stared looking at the imports and then went to a locally built softfloor now the focus has shifted to a good second hand hard floor camper. From what I see and advice from others you don't pay the new tax and initial depreciation.
You simply cannot beat a hard floor for a quick setup, pack up and not having to clean the stuff off the bottom before it goes away. Theyre a bit smaller but setup the annex and there is heaps of room.
They're are soooo many great campers out there the decision is never easy and I find the more I look around the harder the decision comes.
I guess at the end of the day you need to make the decision and stick with it  and just do what you want, as everyone has their own different opinions on what is best.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Trigakatra

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Quick Update, I am now the proud owner of a 2010 Complete Campsite Uluru 13ft XT... Ended up buying a second hand unit from a member of mysway - A huge thanks to RHill for an amazing camper.. well looked after and a fantastic deal! Think I may have robbed him a bit.

The story of the purchase goes.
We live in Sydney with the in-laws at Hawks Nest and family in Kurri and Medowie so we make the trek up that way often. As we have just had a little one (3 months old now) we haven't made too many trips at that way recently. So we decided to do it all at once, we found this camper on Myswag and had spoken to Robert a few times, we booked in a day to look at it when we were heading up the coast for a week to see family. We also decided to book in the morning at Complete Campsite HQ to have a look through the factory and get a more accurate quote.

Went to the bank and withdrew the money (just incase I couldnt walk away from the second hand unit) and left for the central coast. Spent 2h in at the factory and sat down to get a quote, now the dream model came in at $41,000 (way over our price range but was fun to put on paper) the bare minimum came in at $34,500 - up specced Jabiru with the minimum additions I wanted eg, brackets for boat rack, side locker cupboards,  kitchen.... Would of been a HUGE stretch of our budget but was prepared for a figure around that much so we had some thinking to do. When I told them I was looking at a second hand model later in the day the asked to have a look at it. They recognised it straight away and pulled up his original order.. $46000... They pretty much said if it was in the condition he said it was (and they thought it would be as they had been camping with Robert before) then I would be stupid to buy new!

Next stop was brother-in-laws for lunch at Kurri then off to see the second hand camper just outside of Singleton. Was pretty excited as the photos looked immaculate and the price was very reasonable, however as usual you expect there to be something wrong.

Got there, met Robert and he took me through the camper, full set up took us about 20-30 min as he was talking through everything. It was immaculate, apart from usual wear and tear for a 4 year old camper. Did a full pack down about 15 min then spoke to the wife.. This whole process (set up and pack down) took about 1.5h as I Was going over it with a fine tooth comb...

Spoke to the wife and she pretty much said 'you were going to buy it before you got here' so she wasn't too surprised when I said I wanted it.. He budged on price by $500 but admittedly I think its worth 3-4K more than what we paid! Its Immaculate..

Paid $26500 for;
2010 Complete Campsite Uluru 13ft XT
Included was the 60lt Fridge
Independent suspension
200Ah Fully upgraded battery system
Fully enclosed annex's (never used)
Extended Drawbar
Boat loader and rack
All Uluru standard features... Dont think I have missed any of the extras...

I have now done some modifications but ill put a writeup in the my camper section as this is no longer an introduction, just thought I would give you all an update. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

2010 Toyota Prado

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
Looks like you got a top unit at a great price, well done

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 03:05:25 PM »
SCORE  :cup: :cup:

Nice one mate. Looks like a great unit.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline dlncooke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2014 Dmax LSU, Jayco Destiny & Oztent
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
Hi & welcome, looks like you scored a great buy. I'm sure you'll enjoy getting away with it.

Cheers
Dave
2014 Dmax, LS-U setup for outback touring.