Author Topic: G'day from Brisbane  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Designafield

• Learning the Ropes
G'day from Brisbane
« on: April 03, 2017, 10:02:45 PM »
Hi all, just getting into the whole camper trailer idea after years of tent touring (4WD only or off-road box trailer) around the countryside, mostly remote - Simpson Desert, Central Australia, Gulf Country etc. Hoping to do the Cape next year. In between, it's weekends at Gordon Country, Bribie, Caloola Beach and various NPs around SE QLD.

We're a family of 5 (3 kids - 11, 10 and 7) so have ruled out a hard-floor style camper as they just don't have the room and storage space that we require.

Went to the Brisbane camping show last weekend and the wife became very attached to the Stoney Creek SC-WT soft floor camper. She loved the kitchen, storage space, king bed! and price - $17k. It looked to be a fairly solid camper for a chinese import but I have some concerns over the weight (1200kg) and independent suspension for the type of touring we do. Very hard to find any reviews, good or bad, around the camper or the company - not sure if it's a good or bad thing?!?

Have been researching pretty much every night, but have yet to find much else that fits our 'specs':
  • Solid axle and springs (I'm gun-shy after breaking an axle on the trailer, but was able to get a replacement an hour up the road!), hence my concerns over independent and sourcing parts in the middle of nowhere!
  • Room for 5 and all that comes with it - we travel light but it still adds up!
  • Good kitchen and storage
  • Quick setup of the main tent
  • Walk-through style preferred
  • Budget of $20k max (can't budge the missus on that one!)
On the shortlist, but would have to be a second hand option (some are a longshot coming in under the budget) are:
  • Altitude Camper Epic
  • Johnno's Camper
  • Complete Campsite Uluru
  • Trackabout Safari SV Extender
And suggestions or feedback on the Stoney Creek would be greatly appreciated!

In the meantime, it's more hours on the interweb for me!

Cheers
Adrian

ScarpsD40

G'day from Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
Welcome Adrian and family. Enjoy your journey with the myswag family
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:23:40 PM by ScarpsD40 »

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: G'day from Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 05:36:45 AM »
Gday and welcome Adrian.
Good luck with the campertrailer search.

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
Welcome to myswag Adrian.

Sorry, no personal experience with the Stoney Creeks.  Of your other choices, the Trackabout would be my preferenece.  Have you condidered a forward fold.  The 11 yo will soon want to be out of Mum and Dad's bedroom and in their own tent or swag.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Disc50

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
Hi,

We opted for the Trackabout and love it to bits. Albeit ours was new 12 months back we came across a family with a 13 yr old one this easter and it still looked and acted great.
It gave us great confidence in ours giving a long journey.

happy travels
Rob
09' LC200
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

3rd time lucky

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
Welcome Adrian.
In light of recent events, if buying new I would be very, very cautious with single outlet Aussie manufacturers - more than a few have gone down the tube in the last few years, and most were highly thought of at the time. Sadly, most also continued trading right up until the day they ceased being solvent.
National dealership brands ie Jayco, you will have a far better chance of hearing/knowing if they are in trouble than sole traders.
Used - no issue, buy away.
Enjoy Myswag,
Nigel