Author Topic: DIY Camper Trailer vs Ready Made?  (Read 3993 times)

Offline birdie

• Soft Floor Camper User
DIY Camper Trailer vs Ready Made?
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:41:29 AM »
With my family expanding (first child due in a couple on months) I've been pondering the idea of getting a camper trailer for a few reasons. 1. Free up space in the tow vehicle (2008 MY09 NT Pajero) 2. More comfortable bed (decent foam mattress vs current air-bed) 3. Constantly packed camper so hopefully quicker and easier for spontaneous weekends away...

Now the issue is, I don't have money saved up to go grab a brand new camper trailer (nor would SHMBO allow it - higher priority things to spend money on), so I've been wondering about slowly building up a camper trailer myself: Buying a 2nd hand box trailer, buying a trailer top tent and marrying the two together along with customising everything else just how I/we want... I do like this idea as I can design everything how I want and can slowly add each bit as we need and can afford it. Is this a crazy way to do it? Or should I just keep saving up and buy a 2nd hand ready made camper trailer?

Currently we have a pretty complete tenting setup but the main issue is with the little one on the way I need to have backseat free which we previously have used for gear that didn't fit in the back, plus we will have a bit extra gear having a baby to cater for. I was thinking originally to get a Rhino Pioneer roof platform to give us a bit of extra cargo room, but I don't want to add too much weight up high, and the Pajero roof can only handle 100kg max apparently so with the Pioneer platform plus rails that leaves only about 50-60kg of gear ontop. I have been thinking maybe instead of that, just grab a box trailer still tent it for a while until I can then afford to grab a camper trailer tent. I'm not sure how cheap you can get these?

Offline Goose

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Life turns on a dime.
Re: DIY Camper Trailer vs Ready Made?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
With my family expanding (first child due in a couple on months) I've been pondering the idea of getting a camper trailer for a few reasons. 1. Free up space in the tow vehicle (2008 MY09 NT Pajero) 2. More comfortable bed (decent foam mattress vs current air-bed) 3. Constantly packed camper so hopefully quicker and easier for spontaneous weekends away...

Now the issue is, I don't have money saved up to go grab a brand new camper trailer (nor would SHMBO allow it - higher priority things to spend money on), so I've been wondering about slowly building up a camper trailer myself: Buying a 2nd hand box trailer, buying a trailer top tent and marrying the two together along with customising everything else just how I/we want... I do like this idea as I can design everything how I want and can slowly add each bit as we need and can afford it. Is this a crazy way to do it? Or should I just keep saving up and buy a 2nd hand ready made camper trailer?

Currently we have a pretty complete tenting setup but the main issue is with the little one on the way I need to have backseat free which we previously have used for gear that didn't fit in the back, plus we will have a bit extra gear having a baby to cater for. I was thinking originally to get a Rhino Pioneer roof platform to give us a bit of extra cargo room, but I don't want to add too much weight up high, and the Pajero roof can only handle 100kg max apparently so with the Pioneer platform plus rails that leaves only about 50-60kg of gear ontop. I have been thinking maybe instead of that, just grab a box trailer still tent it for a while until I can then afford to grab a camper trailer tent. I'm not sure how cheap you can get these?

The bit i have highlighted made me chuckle :) If you already fill a Pajero with kit for just you and your partner then you're going to be in for a surprise when baby comes along and the missus wants to take change tables, high chairs, cots, baby bath, play pen, toys etc etc

You definitely would benefit from a camper trailer because of all the storage, however if money is tight (and time will tight too when baby is born) I think your best options are hiring or just buying used.

Cheap second-hand box trailers (aka garden trailers) are usually 6x4 and have lower sides. Good camper trailer trailers are usually 7x4 (or greater) and have much deeper sides, better suspension, long draw bar etc etc. Point being that random box trailer does not always make good base for camper trailer.

Also around the time of having your first baby is not the best time to attempt a complex DIY project in my view.

Lastly the quality of your finished product is going to be mostly affected by your tools, skills, budget and workspace. If have all 4 then maybe you can pull it off but if not then its not worth the stress. 

Goose

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »
What he said^

You could go and buy a decent 7x5 trailer for probably $2k - $3k and use it to haul your stuff around and build it up with water tank, kitchen and tent as money and time permits. Have a look at dazzlers signature for a thread he wrote on doing just that.

Or wait to winter and try and pick one up cheaper from a vendor who is keen to sell.

Best of luck.

Fixed typo...sorry 7x4 should have been 7 x 5
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:09:37 PM by Nomad »

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
I havent done the DIY thing, but im not sure how much of a saving you will make on a basic setup as opposed to a basic used camper.

One of the biggest costs is putting a tent on the trailer and depending what you use it could cost over $2000 for that alone.

There are posters on here that have done it and would be able give you a better idea. Or just check the threads in the build section.

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »
How big is your tent?  If the tent is big enough why not get a 7x5 trailer, put a queen size mattress in the bottom then load the rest of the camping gear and cover with a good waterproof tarp (or even better, a tailored cover).  Then when you get to the campsite you just erect the tent over the trailer and you have a comfortable bed together with getting all the gear out of the car.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline birdie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
I have access to a huge shed and Mig welder and other metal working tools at my parents place, plus Dad's pretty good at welding and building things from scratch so I've got that :)

Our tent is a "10" man tent aka room for a family of four plus gear :P

Pipeliner, great idea about chucking a regular mattress in the trailer and then I could just rip it out and chuck it in the tent once we get to the campsite. I think SHMBO would like that :) There's no way a trailer would fit inside our tent...

So 7x4/5 is the way to go for the trailer size. I'd be happy to mod with longer draw bar, off-road hitch etc...

Offline Nifty1

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
I'd be buying Aussie made second hand. Apart from the bit of time you spend looking, you'll be off and away with no delay. DIY will chew up a fair bit of time, and you need to consider the subsequent resale value of a name brand vs a home made. You may be surprised at just how good a deal you can get as a cash buyer - try a ready to go unit for about the same price as a basic 7x5 trailer.
Tvan + Terracan
Hilux Adventure Camper
1999 Outback Sturt - an oldie but a goodie. Updated of course (passed on within family)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »
Here is a link to my thoughts on building a CT.

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

It would suit your 'growing' needs I reckon;

cheers

Daz
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367