Author Topic: Dakar Rally  (Read 70592 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Dakar Rally
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 07:36:04 PM »
sad to hear of the French bike rider killed yesterday, until i searched for a link to post here i hadn't heard about the other 2 people being killed in this years event aswell  :'( :'(
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/330417/french-dakar-rally-rider-dies
A French motorbike rider competing in the Dakar Rally died on Friday after crashing into a Chilean police car, organisers reported.

France's Thomas Bourgin on KTM is pictured during the 2013 Dakar Rally departure ceremony in Lima on January 5, 2013. Bourgin died after crashing into a Chilean police car.

Thomas Bourgin, aged 25, was making his way to the start of the seventh stage when he hit the car, which was coming in the opposite direction on the link road to the start of Friday's stage in Calama.

An inquiry was launched into the precise circumstances of the incident which brings to three the number of deaths in this year's Dakar in the past 24 hours.

Bourgin, from Saint Etienne, was discovered dead at the scene.

"The rally's medical teams deployed on the ground were only able to certify the rider's death, probably instant," a statement on the race's official website reported.

Bourgin was in 68th place in the overall ranking of his first Dakar.

His demise follows that of two people killed in a head-on collision between a Dakar Rally support vehicle and a taxi near Peru's border with Chile on Thursday.

One of two taxis hit the support vehicle head-on while a second cab overturned as its driver tried to avoid the collision.

Two people in the first taxi, including the driver, were killed and seven people, four of them Peruvian, were injured.

Three of the injured travelling in a Land Rover support vehicle were British members of the Race2Recovery team made up of British and US servicemen who have been severely injured and lost limbs in foreign conflicts.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »
sad to hear of the French bike rider killed yesterday, until i searched for a link to post here i hadn't heard about the other 2 people being killed in this years event aswell  :'( :'(
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/330417/french-dakar-rally-rider-dies

"Thomas Bourgin, aged 25, was making his way to the start of the seventh stage when he hit the car, which was coming in the opposite direction on the link road to the start of Friday's stage in Calama"
The exact thing happened in the Wynns Safari the year I did it... European rider in a transport stage, he saw a car coming, and by instinct, went to the right side of the road as he would back home, and head on.. Luckily he wasnt killed, but didnt make it to the start of the competition...

RIP :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »
How tough is this race, Bruce Garland got into the Cordoba bivouac at 7.00am this morning (their time) and will have to start again at 9.50am. They had to replace a turbo on the last stage and then do the nest of the stage in the dark.
You have to give it to them and Bruce is like 54 years old and broke his back last time there and then had a quadrutly heart bypass. Not a race for the faint hearted hey.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 09:36:34 AM »
Grabbo is out :(
2014 DAKAR RALLY: GRABBO CHECKS IN
 After crashing out of the 2014 Dakar Rally yesterday, Team KTM's Ben Grabham has reported in on the circumstances involved in his DNF ... and crikey, what a story:
“I'm a bit sore and sorry for myself as I started in 79th place yesterday and the dust was so bad that even though I was trying to take it easy I clipped a rock on top of a mountain and ended up going over a pretty big drop. The bike and I tumbled close to 100 metres down the mountain. I’m pretty sore all over but lucky not to have done worse. My head was knocked a bit silly for the day and the bike was not coming out of where it was without a chopper to lift it out. It took me an eight-hour taxi ride over the mountains to catch back up with the team. I didn't know where I was and neither did anyone else for about seven hours - and to make matters worse, no one around me could speak any English, my phone was flat and I was starting to think I was going to have to live there until I learned how to speak Spanish!”

And...  oops. heart breakin.. he was a front runner.
LAMENTABLE INCENDIO DE LA MOTO DEL PORTUGUÉS PAULO GONCALVES (ETAPA 5) DAKAR 2014
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
I wonder if there could be a tug & CT class... remember the spin that ol' johnny trackabout did at landcruiser park a few years ago
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
:(

French rider Alain Duclos won his first Dakar Rally stage for eight years on Friday, but the gruelling event was overshadowed by the deaths of a competitor, a father of five, and two journalists.

Duclos, riding a Sherco, beat overall motorcycling section leader Marc Coma by 75 seconds after a 400km timed run from Tucuman to Salta in Argentina.

However, his celebrations were muted after it was revealed that the 9374km race, which crosses Argentina, Chile and Bolivia, had accounted for three more lives.

Belgian motorcyclist Eric Palante, 50, riding for the Honda team, died on Thursday's fifth stage between Chilecito and Tucuman.

Dakar organisers ASO issued a statement reporting that a support truck had discovered the father of five's lifeless body at 8.30am local time on Friday.

"No alert was received by the organisers. Eric had been replenished with water during the afternoon," the statement said.

Palante is the 23rd competitor in 36 editions to die in the Dakar Rally.

Meanwhile, two members of an Argentine news team also died Thursday when the car they were driving in fell into a ravine, the Super Rally magazine said.

"The dead are journalism student Agustin Mina, 20, and Daniel Ambrosio, 51, who loved auto racing," magazine manager Francisco Delgado told AFP.
Duclos's last win on the Dakar came in Bamako in Mali eight years ago when the event was still staged in Africa.

"Today, it was my type of terrain. We've got over the worst over the last few days and the rest day has arrived at the right time - it couldn't be better timed," he said.

Duclos is third overall after six stages, more than an hour behind former three-time champion Coma on a KTM.

Joan Barreda, on a Honda, was fourth on Friday but is second in the overall standings, 42min 17sec behind fellow Spaniard Coma.

In the cars, defending champion Stephane Peterhansel drove to victory on stage six.

Peterhansel, six-time champion in the motorcycle section and five-time winner on four wheels, finished 2min 43sec ahead of Qatar's 2011 champion Nasser Al-Attiyah and 5min 20sec in front of Argentina's Orlando Terranova.

Spain's Nani Roma, in another Mini, was sixth on the day and retained the overall lead.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2015, 10:34:15 PM »
that time of year again....

http://www.simonpavey.com/
Simon and Llewellan wanna be the first father son team to complete the rally this year :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jeeps

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • The Aussie Storm Shop
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2015, 10:50:09 PM »
Ok so... i'm not rooting for any aussie's.   ;D

I've always followed Laia Sanz's moto trial career. She's amazing to watch ride.

Laia is riding again this year!

cheers
www.aussiestormshop.com.au | www.aussieberkeyshop.com.au
Offroad Camper Trailer with an Austrack top & Drifta kitchen, mostly assembled by me :)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:31:28 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2015, 08:05:32 AM »
http://gaps.dakar.com/2015/dakar/stage-02/aso/ukie.php

13:37 Bikes: Sam Sunderland back on track at last
After more than two hours trying to find the correct route, Sam Sunderland is finally back on track. He still has to cover 70 km to reach the finish.

13:32 Bikes: Honour to the rookies
Both participating in their first Dakar, Toby Price and Matthias Walkner are perhaps future candidates for victory. The Australian and Austrian rider both finished in the day’s top 6 on completion of a stage which did not particularly appear likely to smile on debutants.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
A bit of sad news over night... Another Moto Rider dies.  :-[

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8945271

A strange twist to his death...

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8945932
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:40:05 AM by Pogasauras »
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2015, 11:38:16 AM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:45:37 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »

AUSTRALIAN Toby Price has clocked up another top five finish on the eighth day of the Dakar Rally as the competitors tackle the event’s ‘marathon’ stages in Bolivia.

Price ended the motorcycle category’s seventh stage in fifth place, just under two minutes off the pace of stage winner Paulo Goncalves.

The stage marks the first part of the Dakar’s marathon stage, a two-day affair where competitors can’t be helped by their support crews at any point.

The opening 321 kilometre test took the bikes from Iquique in Chile across the Bolivian border towards Uyuni, around salt plains and up into mountainous ridges nearing 4,000 metres in altitude, along the stage the cars tackled on Sunday.

The cars, meanwhile, hit the second part of the marathon stage, a gruelling 784 kilometre route taking drivers across the high-altitude Salar de Uyuni salt flat, then back across the Pampa Del Tamarugal plains on their way back into Chile towards the sand dunes outside Iquique.

Dakar newcomer Yazeed Al Rajhi excelled to take his first Dakar stage win, backing up a second on the previous day to consolidate his third position overall, while Nasser Al-Attiyah finished third to maintain his lead of the event.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/dakar-rally-2015-toby-price-finishes-fifth-on-stage-7-leader-joan-barreda-12th-after-crash/story-e6frf3z3-1227181969531
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
Price still in 4th! Unheard of in ya first Dakar!

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2015/us/rider/026.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2015, 02:04:04 PM »
Whoo Hoo! Toby Price is now in 3rd place overall after his first ever stage win!!
C'mon Aussie media, surely that deserves some airtime, or even a mention in the news!

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline tanz

• Swag User
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
So, Toby Price finished the worlds biggest motorsport event in Third place on debut! :cheers: I was watching Sunrise on Channel 7 this morning during the sport report, and there it was in the ribbon that passes across the bottom of the screen, well done Australian media.  :'(

Offline MrNoodle

• Swag User
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »
His an evolving legend and an ambassador for the Australian Enduro scene. Can't believe the media wouldn't jump on the bandwagon

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2015, 12:43:43 PM »
its motorcycling... the media doesn't care.
Jack Miller lead the moto 3 world championship until the 3rd or 4th last round - hardly anyone mentioned it in the media... this kid got FA Australian media.. he should have been front and center on the news every week.. most pole positions of the year, leading championship, the works...

You heard when he crashed though...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »
Dakar Rally 2015: Overall Ranking

1. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 46:03:49

2. Paulo Gonçalves, PRT (Honda) 46:20:42

3. Toby Price, AUS (KTM) 46:27:03

4. Pablo Quintanilla, CHL (KTM) 46:42:27

5. Stefan Svitko, SVK (KTM) 46:48:06
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MrNoodle

• Swag User
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:29 PM »
its motorcycling... the media doesn't care.
Jack Miller lead the moto 3 world championship until the 3rd or 4th last round - hardly anyone mentioned it in the media... this kid got FA Australian media.. he should have been front and center on the news every week.. most pole positions of the year, leading championship, the works...

You heard when he crashed though...

Yep, this is how the media works. Lots of news, vids and pics in this thread
http://www.dirtriderz.com/topic/9856-dakar-2015/

Did anyone see this massive crash???
http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/alternative-camera-angle-gives-new-look-at-dakar-horror-crash-video-011615

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2015, 03:41:09 AM »
Man oh man! Crazy Shite!
Cheers

Jwb

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »
Finally, a bit of a write up on Toby and his achievements..

http://minisites.ninemsn.com.au/9stories/8951303/from-a-broken-neck-to-the-dakar-podium
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 09:50:14 PM »
Finally, a bit of a write up on Toby and his achievements..
good to see :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2016, 03:35:52 PM »
Stage 1 cancelled... due to rain??? how soft are these blokes...

The opening stage of the Dakar Rally in Argentina has been cancelled due to bad weather, a day after the prologue had to be abandoned when a car crashed into the crowd and injured eight spectators.

Race director Etienne Lavigne said helicopters needed to guarantee the safety of participants had been unable to fly due to thunderstorms that broke over the stage from Rosario to Villa Carlos Paz.

The competing cars, trucks, motorcycle and quad bikes were making their way to the end of the stage under controlled conditions.

The annual Dakar Rally, which started out as a gruelling endurance race from Paris across the Sahara to the Senegalese capital Dakar, has been held in South America since 2009 for security reasons.

This year's event starts and ends in Argentina with an incursion into Bolivia after Peru pulled out due to forecasts for the El Nino weather pattern that has caused flooding and landslides in the past.

The prologue had to be stopped when a Mini Cooper driven by China's Guo Meiling careered off the road at Arrecifes near Rosario and hit spectators, injuring eight including three children and a pregnant woman.

Four medical helicopters and eight local ambulances were deployed to take the injured to hospitals in the area.

A statement from the hospital in Arrecifes on Sunday said two people, a father and son, remained in critical condition.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-04/dakar-first-stage-cancelled-due-to-rain/7065738
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2016, 10:28:57 AM »
 8) 8) 8)

Australian Toby Price leads the motorcycle category of the Dakar Rally after winning the second stage, a 354-kilometre run from Villa Carlos Paz and Termas de Rio Hondo in Argentina.

Price finished 20 seconds ahead of Portugal's Ruben Faria on his Husqvarna, while Slovakian KTM team-mate Stefan Svitko was third, 88 seconds behind.

The 28-year-old Price came third on last year's Dakar Rally where he clinched the 12th stage on his debut appearance. He now takes the overall lead by two seconds over Spaniard Joan Barreda Bort.

Because of heavy rain, the motorbike special was trimmed by almost a 100km, while the cars raced 387km instead of 510km.

The stage was won by nine-time rally world champion Sebastien Loeb, who completed the run in in 3:45:46.

The race is something of a leap in the dark for the 41-year-old Frenchman, who dominated the world rally championship during his long collaboration with Citroen.

He now leads overall from Peterhansel and Vasilyev.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-05/australian-toby-price-wins-dakar-rally-motorcycling-second-stage/7067596

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home