Author Topic: Effort needed to open/close camper  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
Effort needed to open/close camper
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:59:33 PM »
As I have been offered a Redundancy  :cheers: :cheers: I will narrow down my contenders for my CT.

I really like the extenda concept Camel/Lifestyle/Trackabout offer.

I have an ongoing issue with my Thurasic(spelling?){middle} spine.

My question is what type of effort is require to open and close a CT ?

Any comments/ideas and experiences would be appreciated

regards

Slip

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Effort needed to open/close camper
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:10:14 PM »
Do you want a softfloor one, because I think some of the hard floor campers i.e. cubs and pioneers have the option of having a "boat" winch fitted to help with the closing. No doubt the cub and pioneer owners will be able to help out with the details.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »
the bigger the tent, the more effort. i have a 14' tent soft floor, i can do it by myself - if i grab the tent and lean backwards until it passes it's high point.

you can add struts to assist though, which would make it easier.

my wife can open and close ours by herself.

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
If you have a dicky back then this is the best option short of getting a van type camper. It makes closing our Cub a breeze.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:58:27 PM »

I too have a dicky back.  Operation on L4 and L5 for a bulging disc before I turned 40! 

I opened heaps of CT's and came up with a few ideas on how they could all be improved. 

We opted for a hard floor camper (see sig below) because in the worst case scenario I'd need to pack it up, hitch it up and tow the darn thing without any assistance and for me, these were the easiest to close/open.  The ones with the strap and handle I found were the hardest (sorry that brand) because I'm a sheila and 5'5" and the handle was much higher than I could reach on the 4WD version without a ladder.  The easiest to operate (IMHO) were the AS or the KK for me, but we didn't try some of the other hardfloors on offer, as they didn't have things we liked, so haven't tried every brand out there.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:59:02 AM »
Hi Slipus - I've had both a soft floor & a hard floor camper trailer and to be honest I never had a major problem with either. Wanted an off roader and it happened to be a Kimberley & I'm very happy with it.

I have to admit that I have learnt a lot from watching the way the expert at Aussie Swag opens & closes his CT on You Tube. I've 'borrowed' his ideas and now use them for the my camper trailer, which by the way I prefer to set-up and close-up on my own so as to keep the peace.  :angel:

These videos from Aussie Swag may help you make up your mind
http://www.youtube.com/user/aussieswag2?feature=mhum#g/u

Aussie Swag make lovely campers too by the way.

Hope that helps - Wayne
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:40:57 AM »
This is the reason why we chose the Cub, not because of back issues or like, I'm just not very strong, and we needed something that 1 of us could easily set up / pack up by ourselves.

There is a lot of great set ups around (and lot's of opinions for which is best) just a case of going to a caravan / camping etc show and seeing for yourself.

What's great for some, might not be great for others.

Phil & Karen
Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline robsjack

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:29:18 AM »
Our soft floor takes a bit of effort to initially lift up. It's made worse since we have an inner spring mattress and I store tables and chairs stored in the top as well. If you kept it to just the tent itself it's not that heavy. Once the struts take over it's fine.

You probably need to go and try a few.

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
I bought my Trackabout off a semi retired couple.  They owned it for 9 mths and when I questioned them as to why they were selling it I was advised that they found it too difficult to open and shut.  They had ordered a CUB camper and will continue on with the camper trailers but the trackabout was too difficult for them.

I suggest you get out there and try to open an close for yourself to see what you would be happy with.

HTH

James

James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Greydemon

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »
If your back is quite bad I think that the easiest hardfloor to erect is the Travelander - undo the securing clips, then just push a button. Mine will be delivered soon  ;D

Google Travelander for their site, but Google 'Travelander video' to have a better look, this takes you to a tourism site that has a better video.

It comes as a slide on for a flat bed ute or, the way I have bought it, as a camper trailer with a load of extra storage in the nose cone and optional air bag suspension which will level the camper again at the touch of a button, and will inflate your tyres.

It costs a bit though.

Greydemon
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 09:54:15 AM »
Hi There.

Single Mum with 2 kids loves camping but needs it to be EASY!!! We went for a Cub, hard floor with boat winch. So easy my 13 yo daughter puts it up and packs it up (under supervision) by herself.

Love it.

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
Hi There.

Single Mum with 2 kids loves camping but needs it to be EASY!!! We went for a Cub, hard floor with boat winch. So easy my 13 yo daughter puts it up and packs it up (under supervision) by herself.

Love it.

J
Ok,, how much do you pay her... she's 13,,, not going to do it for nicks..lol :cup:

Poverty Pack.!

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
BHG,

True it costs me. At halloween I paid $15.00 for a pumpkin to carve. Previous trip she took a friend. Some trips it costs me ice creams every day. Hopefully she doesn't catch on that should could negotiate for a wage rise ...

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
lol   sounds like she's a good kid... but she will learn about the wage increase...  when i tell her.. ;D

Poverty Pack.!