Author Topic: Any Ford F250 4.2L drivers past or present?  (Read 9664 times)

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
Any Ford F250 4.2L drivers past or present?
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
Hi Swaggers
Having a comparison chat with another guy about Tugs.
We're comparing a 2003 model F250 with the 4.2 litre 6 cyl turbo diesel such as this:
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Ford-F250-2003/AGC-AD-15901871/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

With a 100 series from the day such as this:
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2003/AGC-AD-16304955/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Looking at the Power and weights, the LC is in front as it has more Torque and KW plus 300 kgs lighter.
However, for long haul touring point of view, it is easy to see that the F250 (such as this 1 in the add) with the tray replaced with a lockable canopy will be a lot more comfortable for creatures inside and storage of kit in the back. Also, the 1090 kg load capacity is a bit of a bonus over the LC which could balance the lessor power.
So my point is....
Has anyone used 1 of these with the 6 cyl in anger dragging a CT over a dune etc, how did it go?
Did the near 4 tonne GVM kill it in the sand, or do very B I G boots sort that out?

Why the chat, well, keep this quiet, but I'm feeling the pain of Troopy Travels and lack of comfort these days, something to do with getting old and broken me thinks...  ;D
Just be quiet around the Troopy, don't want it to know.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Landyline

• Tent User
Re: Any Ford F250 4.2L drivers past or present?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
We had two V8 auto dual cabs at work when they were new. Not quite what you're after I know.
However I took one on the beach at Teewah including soft dry high tide sand and the cuttings.
I thought it was just going to bog down everywhere but it ended up being the best vehicle I've ever driven in the sand.

Were the 6 cylinders only manual single cabs?
Customline camper trailer

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
The 6 cylinders were all manuals and was for all 3 cab sizes from what I found. Have only been looking at the dual cab options as we have the 3 kids.
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Landyline

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »
We found the V8s were very unreliable. However all the issues we had related to the engine but two. One was the fuel pump on the earlier model (2003?). The other was the rear leaf spring shackles which had a TSB issued.

I don't know where you live but if in a big city I would say to reconsider as their size in the city was a big downer. However outdide the city (I'm talking brisbane) they were fine. Mostly due to parking and impatience of others.

Offline Landyline

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »
They were very comfortable tourers and you'll lose 3 kids in the back seat.
Although if you have kids in kiddy seats just check the child restraint points. I don't think they had them. I just have a memory of having one fitted.

Offline Landyline

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »
I'd love to have one again for touring. Just need some Japanese reliability added.

Offline bodgie

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
Looking at the Power and weights, the LC is in front as it has more Torque and KW plus 300 kgs lighter.
However, for long haul touring point of view, it is easy to see that the F250 (such as this 1 in the add) with the tray replaced with a lockable canopy will be a lot more comfortable for creatures inside and storage of kit in the back. Also, the 1090 kg load capacity is a bit of a bonus over the LC which could balance the lessor power.

My parents have owned one of these from new and it has been very reliable so far. It let them down once due a fuel hose leaking air and causing the fuel system to lose prime which made starting very difficult.

Theirs has LPG fitted which adds 26HP and a whack of torque so it is a little different in terms of power. If you turn it off you notice quite a difference, but overall my understanding is his truck with a 2000kg van and other gear on board will typically run rings around a similarly loaded LC on hills.

More power/torque on paper doesn't always translate into better performance.

Has anyone used 1 of these with the 6 cyl in anger dragging a CT over a dune etc, how did it go?
Did the near 4 tonne GVM kill it in the sand, or do very B I G boots sort that out?

We had it out in the desert last year and it went really well, however the extra width and length can be a hindrance on its own in some of the tighter areas. I towed a trailer behind my Jeep and found the going difficult at times depending on the condition of the track, basically it was bloody rough in places.

Anyway towing a trailer behind an F-Truck particularly if it has a narrower track will be more difficult. If it was the same width this would make life much easier, if not you'll be in a world of trouble in some places. Dad has towed a my BiL's Tambo on Fraser and found it was difficult in places due to the trailers narrower track.

Why the chat, well, keep this quiet, but I'm feeling the pain of Troopy Travels and lack of comfort these days, something to do with getting old and broken me thinks...  ;D
Just be quiet around the Troopy, don't want it to know.

This is a very comfortable touring truck, good power, economy and space, even the bench seat is pretty comfortable. The other good thing is corrugations seem to just disappear, one of dads mates nicknamed the F-truck the ironing board because of this.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 03:26:27 AM »
Thanks Bodgie,
Is your parents F series the 6cyl diesel?

I found a forum for the owners of these beasts, seems like a friendly place with helpful folk, anyway, was reading an essay length report about the 7.3 v8 diesels and the troubles with the HUEI fuel system and the vehicles allergy to any form of water, such as puddles or creek crossings.
However, they all say how much torque and reliable the 4.2 6 cyl MWM engines are, even found video from Brazil where they have got these things moving very well with big turbo's and new fuel delivery.
Understood about the trade off with the size, my last trip to Fraser 21 years ago was with a mate who had a F100 and he had a lot of trouble compared to my former Troopy. So I wont be trying the OTT with it, but we're (the wife and I) discussing how we could do a 2 year lap of Aus and how we'd do it for the 5 of us. Her friend did it, home schooling etc on the way, living on farms and working along the way, took them 3 years. We're wondering about the same thing and what we need.
2013 Expanda OB

Offline bodgie

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »
It is definitely the 4.2, it is a good engine IMO - keep the tappets adjusted is some good advice with these engines apparently. If you want a bit of extra power and touring range fitting gas injection works pretty well, you could go bigger turbos etc but it all seems like a lot of work.

The power and torque of the 7.3 V8 would be nice but they seem to require more maintenance than a lot of other engines do from what I've been told.

We've done the OTT and the Simpson in the F-truck and I would happily do it again, they do need a lift though as in standard form they are a bit low. Given their size they really are surprisingly capable, sometimes the width/length is a PITA and sometimes it actually helps, all depends on the situation.

If you tow a trailer just make sure the track is the same width, it will make life much easier.

HTH,

Jason

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 02:52:15 AM »

Thats again, perfect.
The reason we are looking at it is for the sole purpose of something like this behind it.
Big van with the 3 x bunks up front and bathroom. So this ort to track behind just nicely. Wont be doing OTT or other such crossings, but will be getting very dirty.
Now that I have vehicle selection sorted out, we're left with deciding to do it or not around other reasons.

Funny thing about this F250 is a Yank I'm working with was basically insulted that such a vehicle would have a engine smaller then 7 litre in it.
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Landyline

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
The replacement for the 7.3 litre diesel in the US was a 6 litre from memory.
They probably complained about manufacturers going to small over stressed engines on US forums at the time.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »
You can also bolt a 40ltr Engel in between the front seats!  :cup: 8)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline bodgie

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 12:36:01 PM »
You'll hardly know that van is there when towing. You are right you won't be doing the OTT with the van on the back, however if you'd be able to get it up to somewhere like Weipa or Bramwell Junction then go overland from there.

Americans are a funny people at times, if it ain't a large capacity V8 it doesn't seen worthwhile doing.

Jason