Author Topic: Just bought my first CT YAY!!! Now what...  (Read 4612 times)

Offline Backtonature

• Learning the Ropes
Just bought my first CT YAY!!! Now what...
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:53:39 AM »
Hi All,
Super excited as i have just bought my first camper trailer and very much looking forward to adventures that come with it.
We are a family of 4 located in Adelaide and purchased a secondhand CT off Gumtree. The CT is large (overkill really with two rooms plus an annexe) but we wanted to future proof it if kids someday want to bring mates etc. The only drawback on the purchase is lack of power and slide out kitchen but for the price we paid we couldn't ask for everything.
We're on a fairly tight budget but so far i have managed to snare a cheap portable fridge and will get a Big W fold out camp kitchen for Xmas to go with the usual array of gas cooker, airbeds for the kids and sleeping bags.
Would love some advice on the following if possible -
  • How can i best run power to the CT? Can you buy simple battery starter packs to run the fridge, charge batteries, run LEDs, etc.?
  • Does anyone have advice on making a slide out kitchen type thing? I was thinking of putting a double sink on rollers...
  • Would you advise sticking to powered sites in caravan parks? We have a block of land (we want to build a place on one day) and thinking we'd like to camp on it but it although it is geared up for mains power, water, etc. there is nothing available to tap into yet so we would need to be self sufficient if we parked the CT there.
  • Any recommendations or must stays with a CT in SA?
  • Lastly, any other tips and tricks you can think of :)

Thanks and looking forward to being a part of this community.

KingBilly

Re: Just bought my first CT YAY!!! Now what...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:29:39 PM »
Welcome to myswag and congrats on your new CT.

For all-in-one battery power look at

https://www.australiandirect.com.au/Battery-Systems/Boxes-Trays

Or

http://arkcorp.com.au/c/502/battery-boxes

Happy camping
KB

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:51:29 PM »
Welcome to CT life.

Lots of questions here.

Check out Drifta kitchens for ideas. 

On a budget check gumtree & eBay for second hand or sometimes new basic design items. 

Power - well this ‘depends’!

If doing on a budget then...
Supercheap battery box and AGM battery.  Use ciggie plugs for your fridge & LED lighting directly into the box for simple setup.  Charge with a solar panel (price/quality debate check other threads) with alligator clips to battery box. 

Generator to power a 240v charger - own land cool - around others at your peril- National Park’s usually a big no no. 

Hope this starts you off. 

McT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 02:17:43 PM »
Welcome BTN, tip from me would be to not travel too far on your first outing, maybe max an hour away. No doubt like most of us you will load up with everything including the kitchen sink, we now have a system where we reduce what we take every trip, if something is not used for two trips out it goes, achieves a few things, reduces weight and shortens set up and knock down times.
Enjoy the journey.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru