Author Topic: Which cheap fridge?  (Read 3529 times)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Which cheap fridge?
« on: January 02, 2024, 11:29:39 PM »
My 32L Engel died after 16years of almost 24/7 use and I have been quoted $800 to replace compressor so I'm looking at replacing it.

I'm looking for a 30-40L fridge that will be used mainly as a freezer on camping trips. Not too keen on spending $1000+ on an occasionally used fridge.

Anyone had long term use out of the cheaper fridges? Brass monkey, XTM etc etc. Not sure about kings but happy to use if they are proven.

Also open to drawer style fridges.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:32:16 PM by nab »
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
Re: Which cheap fridge?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 06:21:10 AM »
I have a 20L brass monkey. Had it for over 2 years now & for the last year it has been running 24/7 in the car. No problems so far.
Silverfox
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback
The following users thanked this post: stephenh1235

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 09:27:45 AM »
I've got a 20L Kings fridge / freezer thats been used for several trips over the last 3 years as a freezer. It's definitely not up to the Engel / Waeco standard, but for occasional use as a freezer its been ok, and the price was right for this use case.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 11:51:43 AM »
Jump on FB marketplace and pick up a used fridge, plenty of 40-50l waeco etc going for under $400.
 I picked up a 40L sterling waeco copy for my nephew for $100.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 06:39:49 PM »
I bought the sterling fridge second hand from facebook, it lasted 1 trip and only 1 direction before it died. Bad luck I guess. But I have had several weacos from facebook and EBay and they have proven very reliable.
I replaced the sterling with a kings 50l escape for around $230
It’s still on trial, had it 6 months and done a couple of trips, it works well but I’m undecided on power consumption when it’s very hot.
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 09:33:14 AM »
I bought the sterling fridge second hand from facebook, it lasted 1 trip and only 1 direction before it died. Bad luck I guess. But I have had several weacos from facebook and EBay and they have proven very reliable.
I replaced the sterling with a kings 50l escape for around $230
It’s still on trial, had it 6 months and done a couple of trips, it works well but I’m undecided on power consumption when it’s very hot.
Lloyd

After i got this one home i noticed the temp display was out so negotiated with the seller down to $50, went to jaycar for a new thermistor for $4.50 and picked up a new cover for $13.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 10:20:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Heard mixed reports on Kings although it's hard to go past the throwaway price. Pretty good things about Brass Monkey. Hesitant to get a secondhand one unless it's near brand new.

BUT my Engel has started working today! I stripped it down a week ago, gave it a good clean, checked all connections etc. Turned it upside down overnight - read that it can unblock the pipes even on the compressor fridges, worth a shot. Still didn't work. Each day when I get home I have been turning it on for 10 mins to see if it cooled. All week the compressor and fan have run but not getting cold. Well today the bloody thing got cold. It's been on for a couple hours and sitting at -17°C. Will see how it goes before I commit to a new fridge, no idea why it started working all of a sudden ???
Any ideas?
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 03:50:38 AM »
Your Engel lasted 16 years
Why would you even consider anything else
Your only choice I see is do you repair it or buy a new one 😉
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 08:25:13 AM »
Have you actually taken it to a camping fridge place for a "proper" appraisal?  ???

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 11:27:43 AM »
Quote from: NZMarkb
Your Engel lasted 16 years
Why would you even consider anything else
Your only choice I see is do you repair it or buy a new one 😉

Its a pretty good ad to replace with same... but then is the new one same quality as 16 yrs old.
There are quite a few used engels out there forsale.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 06:55:40 PM »
Its a pretty good ad to replace with same... but then is the new one same quality as 16 yrs old.
There are quite a few used engels out there forsale.

I tried to buy a secondhand Engel once. Sellers never heard of depreciation. Wanted near new price for five year old fridge been bouncing around in a ute.

“It’s an Engel,  good as new,” they said.

So I bought a new one and my sons started arguing over who would inherit it.  ;D

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 07:38:43 PM »
The plastic Engels are not the same quality, the steel ones still are.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 11:17:28 PM »
No I didn't take it to the repair shop. I rang the Engel repair guy to see when I could bring it in, he told me over the phone either gas leak/blockage or the valve in the compressor is buggered (which is what I also found online). The problem is it is a sealed unit and there is no way to test those things, you just eliminate the other parts you can test which is what I did. He said I can bring it in and pay him $100 to get the same answer, he was quite helpful and gave some ideas over the phone to double check.

Fridge hasn't been working for a good 6 weeks. Tried turning it on and off many times over the last month, running off 12V and 240V so I have no idea what the issue was. My best guess is there was a blockage and turning it upside down and giving it quite a few healthy blows last week with the rubber mallet may have dislodged the blockage.

For the occasional use I can't justify $1300 on a replacement. As Ross says 2nd hand Engels are apparently like gold, the only cheap ones are the plastic ones or 20+ years old.

Currently sitting at -21°C, water bottle I put in yesterday is frozen rock solid.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2024, 07:59:35 AM »
He said I can bring it in and pay him $100 to get the same answer, he was quite helpful and gave some ideas over the phone to double check.

Had that with our home freezer a while back.

Suddenly started making a terrible noise, so rang a fridge bloke.

He said that'll it be the little plastic bracket that supports the fan will have broken. You can either have a look yourself, or I'll charge you $200 to come out & say the same thing, then another $100 to fix it.

Had a look & yep, the bracket was broken so the fan blades were knocking against the grill. Put a screw in "there" & Bob's your uncle, all fixed & no more noise! ;D :cup:

He's doing himself out of easy money, but it's nice to see somebody who cares enough to give his customers an easy, cheap, option! :cup:
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 10:53:46 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Heard mixed reports on Kings although it's hard to go past the throwaway price. Pretty good things about Brass Monkey. Hesitant to get a secondhand one unless it's near brand new.

BUT my Engel has started working today! I stripped it down a week ago, gave it a good clean, checked all connections etc. Turned it upside down overnight - read that it can unblock the pipes even on the compressor fridges, worth a shot. Still didn't work. Each day when I get home I have been turning it on for 10 mins to see if it cooled. All week the compressor and fan have run but not getting cold. Well today the bloody thing got cold. It's been on for a couple hours and sitting at -17°C. Will see how it goes before I commit to a new fridge, no idea why it started working all of a sudden ???
Any ideas?

Engels are prone to blockages in the capillary line. Seems maybe to be the refrigerant oil drying when not running. Thats why some have had luck with the upside down trick. turning upside down causes reverse flow in the lines and may unblock it.   
Other tricks involve running the fridge and placing a orbital sander with a towel on the pad and vibrating the area on evap plates where the lines join.
Another which Ive had some success with is to remove the compressor cover and with a electric heat gun, gently heat the tubes where capillary line is. I think it softens any build up and allows refrigerant to flow.
A lot of people say their engel has lost its refrigerant but in my experience they still have a full charge and its a blockage issue.

To prevent them blocking up, just keep them running.
The following users thanked this post: stephenh1235

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2024, 12:07:27 AM »
Cheers for that. It has been running 24/7 for the last 5 years in the shed and just all of a sudden it stopped cooling. I will see how it goes and give the heat gun/sander tricks a go if it stops again.

I turned it off yesterday and left it off until this arvo. Was up to 33°C when I turned it back on. checked it 4 hours later and it was at -17°C so seems to be running properly again.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2024, 06:24:12 PM »
Just a final followup, just did 12 days offgrid, the Engel performed flawlessly in the ute canopy, maintaining around -18°C the whole trip. Temps ranged from 23° to 37°.

Felt pretty chuffed we could make ice cubes and have icecream 90km from the nearest town town!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 04:13:26 AM »
The money you've saved you can invest in Beers  :cheers: 8) 8)
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2024, 10:29:59 AM »
We are looking into a new fridge as well.
Anyone has the Kings fridge drawer?
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2024, 01:05:57 AM »

I looked at them, if you plan to use it as a freezer it is only rated to get down to -10°C.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline brianvicki

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2024, 09:26:19 AM »
Yes but only as a fridge, it stays on all the time, though in summer the lithium battery is on charge overnight, but yeah works great

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2024, 10:42:08 AM »
I looked at them, if you plan to use it as a freezer it is only rated to get down to -10°C.

I saw that, it will only used as a fridge.
We are looking at the 60 liter model.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2024, 10:43:36 AM »
Yes but only as a fridge, it stays on all the time, though in summer the lithium battery is on charge overnight, but yeah works great

Thanks.
Do you have the 30 or 60 liter model?

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 01:51:04 PM »
I don’t own one but on the adventure kings hacks and upgrades page on facebook suggests that a computer fan solves many of the issues people have had with them.

Offline brianvicki

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 06:05:12 PM »
30 litre