Author Topic: House type underbench water filters.  (Read 1992 times)

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
House type underbench water filters.
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:35:02 PM »
Seems to be a heap of items on the site from searching water filters, but they are more based on camper trailers and vans.
Our future home has water supplied from rainwater tanks, but in dry times they need the occasional topping up from the bore.
We have family members a bit concerned about the fresh rainwater coming off the roof where birds and bats crap on and also die and rot, so the germs and maggots can enter the tank.
The topping up with bore water is not a health problem as it has been laboratory tested and has no dangerous chemicals, just a slight percentage of salt that can't be tasted and a bit of an odour.
The dreaded Bunnings and Ebay sellers have underbench replaceable canister filter systems from $90 to $120 upwards, that just get slotted into the cold water line between the pump and the sink. Other suppliers seem to have filter kits that come with their own taps and are somewhat more expensive.
Do we have any plumbers or experienced non plumbers who can suggest whether the simple Bunnings style actually work, or only needing slight occasional salt, odours and the maggoty bird/bat crap removed have other suggestions?
These simpler filter systems also come in single, twin and triple canisters, but it looks like the multiple filters are good at really dirty or bacteria laden water.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Re: House type underbench water filters.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »
You can interconnect filters, making sure they feed the hot water system as well.
With multiple housings, for the filters, you can insert a different filter element in each housing.
Start with the lump removal, and have a Carbon/Silver one for Bacteria etc.. 
Best to do some research on types of filter, and purpose.
Cover all your problems, but make sure you check them, don't forget them, the filters have a limited life.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.
The following users thanked this post: terravista

Offline smiles

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »
Worth looking at the replacement cartridge prices before jumping in.

Our rainwater tank has rocks topper then 5 micron carbon for all water then a 0.3micron in the kitchen bench for drinking water.

Bigger filters came from plumbing supply store. Drinking water filter from Bunnings.

Probably costs about $400/year for filters - does all the water to the house

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 05:57:28 AM »
We are on tank water only at home and have no bore. I use a sediment filter for the entire house water and then a smaller filter on the drinking water at the kitchen tap and chilled water to the fridge. I still drink out of any tap in the house and have never had a problem.

I use this place for filters, https://www.waterfiltersaustralia.com.au/

I find they have a great range and if you give them a call will answer and be able to make up something for you.

GG
The following users thanked this post: terravista, Cruiser 105Tvan

Offline wetduck

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »
tank water with no filter for near on 20 years with no ill affects.

No way would I put bore water through the house. Otherwise you'll risk damage to hot water systems, dishwasher etc. I run 2 water systems. Rain water inside house and bore water outside.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »
tank water with no filter for near on 20 years with no ill affects.

No way would I put bore water through the house. Otherwise you'll risk damage to hot water systems, dishwasher etc. I run 2 water systems. Rain water inside house and bore water outside.

Thanks
We had a full laboratory analysis done on the bore water, and the report found nothing that would potentially damage hot water units or dishwashers except a VERY slightly raised salt level and that was supposedly insufficient to be of any concern. That was based on a maximum 50:50 ratio of tank to bore and of course raised salinity levels from extended droughts could change that.
We run the house on tank water except the dunnies.