Author Topic: Lawn Hill March??  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Lawn Hill March??
« on: October 19, 2018, 08:14:41 AM »
Hi all, looking at possibly doing Bris to Lawn Hill and return for a couple of weeks mid March next year.

What's everyone's thoughts on doing it that time of year? Is it too close to the wet season? Too hot? I'm guessing it should be a lot quieter in March than later?

How long is needed to give the place a good going over? We'll have the kayaks on board and enjoy hiking so keen to check out the gorges and tracks.

Cheers Andy

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Lawn Hill March??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
cant advise about the weather at that time of year, It's always been July/August when we've been there.

If you want to have a nice relaxing look around, give yourself at least 4 nights there. You'll want a day for kayaking, and 2 days for the various bush walks (at a lazy pace). You can very easily kill a day lazing around Adels Grove if you wanted.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
lf you get in early you should be able to camp in the National park down thr road from the Grove . Well worth any time spent there . We booked in for 2 days & stayed for 7 . Lots to do  , magic country .     Enjoy        :cup:       :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »
Wrong part of the world to be in at that time of year. It doesn’t take much rain on the Barkley and the whole east side from Mt Isa North goes under. If you are happy to be marooned at somewhere like mackinlay for a few weeks you’ll be right. It will still be stinking hot too. I’m not saying don’t go, just be aware of how isolated it is and in March if you get a little bit of rain you’ll usually get a lot.

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »
Havent been up there at that time of year...but for our Kimberly trip this year, where we were leaving brisbane in April, and were going to be heading up through that area across to Katherine..... we were watching the road reports closely to help determine the route we were going to be following....In that area there were a lot of road closures...and I even suggest the area wont be open then anyway for you to get into and stay.......

Mark VS
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
cant advise about the weather at that time of year, It's always been July/August when we've been there.

If you want to have a nice relaxing look around, give yourself at least 4 nights there. You'll want a day for kayaking, and 2 days for the various bush walks (at a lazy pace). You can very easily kill a day lazing around Adels Grove if you wanted.

Thanks mate, I reckon we'll have 4-5 days so that's great to know

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 06:33:41 PM »
lf you get in early you should be able to camp in the National park down thr road from the Grove . Well worth any time spent there . We booked in for 2 days & stayed for 7 . Lots to do  , magic country .     Enjoy        :cup:       :cheers:

Thanks mate, has always been on the bucket list. Looking forward to it.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »
Wrong part of the world to be in at that time of year. It doesn’t take much rain on the Barkley and the whole east side from Mt Isa North goes under. If you are happy to be marooned at somewhere like mackinlay for a few weeks you’ll be right. It will still be stinking hot too. I’m not saying don’t go, just be aware of how isolated it is and in March if you get a little bit of rain you’ll usually get a lot.

Mmm yep this is my greatest concern. Def not keen on wasting holidays. May have to re think.

Cheers for the info.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 06:38:05 PM »
Havent been up there at that time of year...but for our Kimberly trip this year, where we were leaving brisbane in April, and were going to be heading up through that area across to Katherine..... we were watching the road reports closely to help determine the route we were going to be following....In that area there were a lot of road closures...and I even suggest the area wont be open then anyway for you to get into and stay.......

Yep not too keen to risk it. Got more holidays in August so that may be an option.

Cheers Andy

Mark VS

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 06:50:07 PM »
Renee and I were there in June.

Adels Grove was pretty good and you could spend a few hours kayaking from there up to the gorge, no idea what blockages there were between the two spts though.  Only saw a few fresh water crocs.

I reckon 4 nights would be plenty.

Camping at Adels was good, but it is shady which is great for a bit of cool but not so if you need solar power We booked both Adels Grove and the NP. The NP camp sites were pretty desolate and dry. So the earlier you go the hotter they will be.

Worth going to camp a night or two at Gregory. Make sure you take you spare goon bags and yoga mat to float down the creek at 11am and 3pm pissed as a newt with all the grey nomads on the twice daily flotilla. If you can jag a good spot you can basically step out of you CT into the creek. It really is that pretty a little spot.

March is very very early and I don't even think any of those areas will be open then.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
Mmm yep this is my greatest concern. Def not keen on wasting holidays. May have to re think.

Cheers for the info.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is a special place. Riversleigh D site is too. You mentioned you have leave in August. A much better time. I suppose you know it is like a 4400km round trip so it would be bad to get caught out up there.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 09:12:10 PM »
Renee and I were there in June.

Adels Grove was pretty good and you could spend a few hours kayaking from there up to the gorge, no idea what blockages there were between the two spts though.  Only saw a few fresh water crocs.

I reckon 4 nights would be plenty.

Camping at Adels was good, but it is shady which is great for a bit of cool but not so if you need solar power We booked both Adels Grove and the NP. The NP camp sites were pretty desolate and dry. So the earlier you go the hotter they will be.

Thanks for the info mate. Might book both like you did and mix it up.

Worth going to camp a night or two at Gregory. Make sure you take you spare goon bags and yoga mat to float down the creek at 11am and 3pm pissed as a newt with all the grey nomads on the twice daily flotilla. If you can jag a good spot you can basically step out of you CT into the creek. It really is that pretty a little spot.

March is very very early and I don't even think any of those areas will be open then.

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 09:14:25 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is a special place. Riversleigh D site is too. You mentioned you have leave in August. A much better time. I suppose you know it is like a 4400km round trip so it would be bad to get caught out up there.

All good mate, appreciate your honest opinion. Long way to go to be let down. Pretty sure we can make August work for us. :-)