Author Topic: First camper queries  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Livo

• Sleeping Bag User
First camper queries
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
Hi guys,
Cheers for the add first up. And nice to meet you all.
I'm currently in the market for a new camper under the 10k ish mark. I know this is a very common thread however I would like a new one as I have been stung before and I like the larger tents of the soft floor variety due to the fact a have a little fella and one on the way.
I quite like the ranger from skamper kampers and the alpha from the one that cannot be spoken of which is a shame because they have a new tent out and they look the goods and would really like some feedback. I'll be checking both campers out at the Central Coast camping show end of September and was just wondering
1: what should I look for when inspecting these campers?
2: both campers are similar in price which one would you guys but?

Thanks heaps in advance
Customline 2015 adventure walk up

Offline cmkc051002

• Learning the Ropes
Re: First camper queries
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
Hi Livo
One thing to factor with all campers is set up time
Overnight stopover and longer term
Cheers
Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:44 PM »
Hi livo

I checked out both campers you mention recently.
The guy at skamper kamper was helpful came out straight away and explained that the trailers were assembled here but from China. The trailer looked well put together without running a fine tooth Combe over it, it looked pretty good value. They weren't pushy and didn't have a team of sales people running around harassing us.

Won't mention thoughts on the other as you will see them for yourself anyway

i guess the after sales service and how it handles camping trips is the main concern as the cosmetic things can be fixed easy
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:43:45 AM »
Livo   Where are you located it could be handy to come to a catchup . This will give you a guided tour of all CTs there . Have you considered Preloved  ??? way more bang for your buck . The mods are done for you   .      :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Trailer Bloke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • You never know what's around the corner
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:29 AM »
That's your best bet just check our the camping show lots of C Ts to pick from and most will have show specials could save you $1000 s don't be shy to ask for extras when I brought my Ezytrail I saved $1000 and got a extra annex chucked in.
Cheers Jon
Toyota Kluger towing a Ezytrail Tarwin http://gallery.myswag.org/gallery/v/Trailer+Bloke/

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:04:13 AM »
I would be inclined to ask about the availability of mission-critical parts that might leave you stranded high and dry in a remote location while you wait for spares.

I bought an Ezytrail on special and have been waiting two months to replace some suspension bushes that failed after a major bolt fell out. Also waited a similar period for a spare stub axle which I had decided to carry just as a spare.

I think to market a product nationally and have zero spares backup is negligent. From experience, I'd also undo every major suspension and axle bolt on a Chinese-made camper and refix with Loctite before going anywhere. My problems have not been with manufacture in China; they have been with the crappy Aussie assembly.

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Livo

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:47:21 AM »
I'm located at caves beach which is between Newcastle and the Central Coast nsw. So there's not to many manufacturers locally that I can find! I am going to go to the central coast show at Mingara at the end of September but a local camping supplier said it was a useless show and I should go to the Penrith one instead. My reluctancy to go second hand is my worry of ending up with a lemon and then the wife will get sick of it and not want to go as much and that's why I lent towards a newer unit then upgrade down the track however it does sound like I'm better off going a second all Aussie made ct and hopefully they won't have any dramas. I'll be towing the ct with a Mazda CX-5 for the next 2 years unit I buy a new 4x4 and can go a little further but still won't be anything to extreme. Cheers guys

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
Do not jump in just yet......you need more research....if you go to a show, have a rough idea of what you want before going....google away !!

2nd hand is definitely one way to go....you will not get a lemon if you do some research....and ask on here as well....stick with well known brands if looking 2nd hand, and ask questions before looking at any !

Setup time is very important if you are to get the most out of a camper ......if it's too long, you may as well use a tent !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Livo

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »
I've been doing a little bit of digging and found a very near new customline adventure walk up. That I might be able to stretch the budget to hopefully. Is it worth stretching the budget to get a customline? Just wondering your opinions on them they same to have only good reviews?

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »
There is but one of many good name campers...... :cup:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
I've been doing a little bit of digging and found a very near new customline adventure walk up. That I might be able to stretch the budget to hopefully. Is it worth stretching the budget to get a customline? Just wondering your opinions on them they same to have only good reviews?

YES...  Personally I like the walk up model as it's a 10ft tent but more 'square' with the walk up area so very usable space.  Quality trailer/Quality canvas work second to none..
As long as it's been well looked after hard to fault a Customline (ps Armadillo & Customline now one in the same company).   You might also find it has some good mods making it more convenient too?

Buy it and no need to worry about selling and buying again.   Buy quality/Buy once.
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline stephwoodall

• Tent User
  • 2015 Landcruiser 76, Customline Walkup Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »

I've got a Customline Steriod Walkup (the one with the enclosed side compartments).  It is a great unit and easy to modify, I've put in heating and plenty of electrical goodies.  Very handy off road.  Setting up takes a bit of getting used to as it is a very tall tent but I can get ours set up without the full annex in about 10 minutes without rushing. 

Make sure you get one with a tropical roof.  It makes a big difference to the temperature in summer. 

Cheers

Stephen

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »

Hire a camper for a weekend even if it's camping in your backyard. This will give you a start on what you want and need in a camper. Even set it up and pull it down a number of times.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia