Author Topic: Steel Fabricators in Cairns  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Steel Fabricators in Cairns
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »
This is a general question for the Cairns residents.

A plumber friend of mine is building a new shed (he burnt his last one down  :-[) & has asked me to give him a price.
(As waterproofing & epoxy flooring is quiet, i'll do a once only building project)

The shed is about 25x10m & has steel (310UB) portals.
I asked a guy here in mackay (that i've used in the past for smaller stuff) & he told me that he couldnt be competitive & that there was a company in Cairns that kills it for price. He had heard of a guy who had a similar shed built by somebody in Cairns but didnt know the name of the company.
When i asked if he thought anybody might be able to do it locally, he basically said not if you want it reasonably priced. I even asked if he had much on & his reply was "enough to keep us going".
(Amazing isnt it, the town is struggling & still its the ripoff capital of QLD)

Anyway so for the cairns guys if you know any of the companies that may fabricate & transport  south then i would appreciate some names.
I've a list of name from the phone book, just hoping one of you locals may know a particular company to save me numerous phone calls

The local guy here told me that the other guy had it fabricated, galvanized & erected, in Mackay, by a Cairns company cheaper than a local company could or would fabricate only  ???  ???  ???

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline Sawed-Off

• Tent User
Re: Steel Fabricators in Cairns
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
We're getting a 6x9m from ShedsOne. Their price is quite reasonable compared to just about every other place we checked. The only price that beat it was Widespan on a kit supply only. Because we'd looked at that option, we knew how much the other guys were trying to ream us.

Anyway, I'll tell you in 4-6 weeks if they're any good. :cheers:

I forgot to add - I'm pretty sure all galvanising goes to Townsville since Pollards/APG shut their plant here. If you weren't particularly looking for typical bluescope style sheds, there's Lazco and Cairns Steel Fabricators that I know of. I can't speak to their shed expertise, however.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:31:08 PM by Sawed-Off »
Matt.

Rootin', Tootin', & Shootin'. It's the Cowboy Way.

'97 HZJ80R Land Cruiser Dual Cab
'05 Tambo "The Cooper" : Nights used - 2015: 13  2014: 34  2013: 36  2012: 31