Author Topic: Portable butane cooker gone - what do I use now?  (Read 21370 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Portable butane cooker gone - what do I use now?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 11:45:13 AM »
"I think wiser people than some user have a better understanding of the issues and inherent failure /dangers of these cookers including the AGA certifying body that tests and issues most gas appliances in aust,"

Like your blind faith rags but I'm not about to ditch the idea of regular elections for our leaders. As for the unelected ones, these are folk who presumably mandated an extra couple of gas taps under my Jayco, one for the fridge and one for the stove, but if one of them starts leaking/burning I'll leave you to scramble underneath while I head for the gas bottle tap mate. Oh and don't forget to call in a gasfitter to check for any teflon tape they used on gas fittings and replace it with newer liquid teflon Standard or we're all gunna fry.

It's like this. Better standards with improved/more economic technology makes eminent sense in any cost/benefit analysis. Think electrical RCDs, smoke detectors, ABS brakes, etc. However there's the increasing problem of more marginal calls and a tendency to bedwetting with these PS types who have come to believe you can legislate away anything that goes bump in the night and/or the idiots involved. These Standards and OHS people will tell you with straight face- 'All accidents are preventable!' but they leaving off the bleeding obvious- 'At what cost?'

And that's the rub with these cookers. Thousands of us thousands of times every day, for years have used and enjoyed their benefits and now we're to can all that for an infinitesimal number of incidents and the dickheads. That's because a bunch of public servants, who have largely hunkered down most reasonable Standards are sitting around with their intrays empty and looking for make work programs to justify their existence and welcome to their increasingly marginal decision-making and the choking, stultifying nanny-state they've created. Time to weigh the benefits against the cost of these people and their increasingly marginal decisionmaking.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Streetkid

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
"I think wiser people than some user have a better understanding of the issues and inherent failure /dangers of these cookers including the AGA certifying body that tests and issues most gas appliances in aust,"

Like your blind faith rags but I'm not about to ditch the idea of regular elections for our leaders. As for the unelected ones, these are folk who presumably mandated an extra couple of gas taps under my Jayco, one for the fridge and one for the stove, but if one of them starts leaking/burning I'll leave you to scramble underneath while I head for the gas bottle tap mate. Oh and don't forget to call in a gasfitter to check for any teflon tape they used on gas fittings and replace it with newer liquid teflon Standard or we're all gunna fry.

It's like this. Better standards with improved/more economic technology makes eminent sense in any cost/benefit analysis. Think electrical RCDs, smoke detectors, ABS brakes, etc. However there's the increasing problem of more marginal calls and a tendency to bedwetting with these PS types who have come to believe you can legislate away anything that goes bump in the night and/or the idiots involved. These Standards and OHS people will tell you with straight face- 'All accidents are preventable!' but they leaving off the bleeding obvious- 'At what cost?'

And that's the rub with these cookers. Thousands of us thousands of times every day, for years have used and enjoyed their benefits and now we're to can all that for an infinitesimal number of incidents and the dickheads. That's because a bunch of public servants, who have largely hunkered down most reasonable Standards are sitting around with their intrays empty and looking for make work programs to justify their existence and welcome to their increasingly marginal decision-making and the choking, stultifying nanny-state they've created. Time to weigh the benefits against the cost of these people and their increasingly marginal decisionmaking.

I agree, but the unfortunate thing about the "dickheads" is that they don't know that they are dickheads and modern society feels the need to protect these people from themselves and a blanket rule is how it is dealt with.

Happy Customline owner

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
I agree, but the unfortunate thing about the "dickheads" is that they don't know that they are dickheads and modern society feels the need to protect these people from themselves and a blanket rule is how it is dealt with.
Post of the month,  :cup:

Take the warning label off everything and natural selection will do it's job.
The heard will only get stronger.
 ;D
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »

And the rest of the innocent society needs to be protected from these same d#*#head as well

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »
Does anyone here actually call then a lunchbox cooker????
I always called mine the fly spray can thingo

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 07:13:06 PM »
I always called mine the fly spray can thingo
Your a kiwi aren't you?? You blokes from the eastern state always call things something different ;D ;D

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 07:13:41 PM »
:)
Hang on cloudy I can't find ma jandles. ..think there in the chillibin

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »

.....bro'......

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »
:)
Make sure you slow down over the judder bars when finding your jandles ;D

Once you found your jandles you can go tramping to find the chillibin..

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
Hey you can't tell me judder bar isn't better than speed bump
The following users thanked this post: slave

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »
The Minister for all things that could possibly go bump in the night would prefer you to refer to them by their correct nomenclature as traffic calming devices and forthwith issues an edict to that effect.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
The other name for bumps on the road in nz is possum

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
The other name for bumps on the road in nz is possum
I thought it was Maori's..

Sh!t did I just say that out loud.. My bad ;D ;D

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »
Lol.
Then they go to maori hospital.....brorepairs

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 09:22:38 PM »
Lol.
Then they go to maori hospital.....brorepairs

:cup: Pmsl
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline peter2904

• Tent User
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 09:57:37 PM »
Is it all butane stoves? 
I have one that is years old and still going strong.  It still has original price tag on the box.  If I remember correctly $74.  Build much better than recent cheap models.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 10:25:47 PM »
Not all aparantly check the other thread on them it's got a list of ok ones

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
"Is it all butane stoves?"

No like the man said they have a list but it's all about the odd dickhead putting too large a pan on them thereby heating the gas canister and poof apparently, although it's like getting struck by lightning or some such. They're not telling us. Makes you wonder why they don't let these maroons out to join the Caliphate for target practice while the rest of us get on enjoying our lives.

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 04:09:12 PM »
letter i got today from companion brands

Dear Valued Customer
We are now in our second week of the Department of Fair Trade NSW action on cartridge cookers, and at this stage we have no clear defined direction from the relevant authorities as yet.
All of our stoves have been approved and tested in accordance with all gas safety standards, and were only recently tested and found to be compliant. We have been in discussions with the approving authorities and are hopeful of a positive outcome next week. As is stands today, all single burner stoves are still on hold in all states, however the two burner model 2282 can be sold in all states excluding NSW.
Clearly we will do whatever is required in order to be compliant, however at this stage we are in a bit of a holding pattern until such time as the authorities give us some clear direction in writing.
We apologise for the inconvenience, and I hope to have a clear plan of action to you early next week.

:cheers:
Ads
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 07:10:25 PM »
Well after a dvd training sesion of watching the " Hurt locker " it was time to suit up with the safety gear [ t-shirt shorts and beer ] and take life by the horns and give the DEATH cooker from hell a test fire .. The curried paster and I  have survived so far, next to be undertaken is putting  dusky memories of Assault Pioneer DMEO, UXO, Booby trapping and  mine warfare training into action to make safe the unexploded ordnance [ UXO ] and place it in safe bomb proof storage ..
Then settle the nerves with a quieting amber ale . ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2015, 12:25:41 AM »
Well there we were the mates and I, cogitating as you naturally do, as to what on earth's to be done with all these killer cookers when seemingly out of nowhere but the home brew, the group hit on a cunning plan for our spooks, sundry clandestine ops boys, facebook and twitter lurkers. Of course! ISIS needs our killer cookers and who better to purloin them to the schmucks but those disenchanted with Peta Credlin, the state of our roads, the number of speed cameras or the odd peddo who thinks 9 year olds are suitable marrying material? This is eminently fertile ground for recruiting clandestine distributors of halal lunchbox cookers and associated large halal Chinese frypan giveaways with each cooker. The Caliphate urgently needs halal cooking gear is the lure, plus the adventure of parachuting in with desperately needed supplies for the advancement of Allah, not to mention the instructions in Chinglish. Hell who needs expensive parachutes taking up valuable halal lunchbox cooker space in their packs? Allah Akbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr...  >:D 

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2015, 12:41:33 AM »
Speaking of chlorinating the gene pool, remember 'they cook among us' to rephrase the BIL and compliments of-
https://www.youtube.com/embed/l-w-mWhIWEM

Offline BadSeed

• Swag User
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
Well after a dvd training sesion of watching the " Hurt locker " it was time to suit up with the safety gear [ t-shirt shorts and beer ]

Mate, don't forget the pluggers.

scarpsD40

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 08:45:23 PM »

letter i got today from companion brands

Dear Valued Customer
We are now in our second week of the Department of Fair Trade NSW action on cartridge cookers, and at this stage we have no clear defined direction from the relevant authorities as yet.
All of our stoves have been approved and tested in accordance with all gas safety standards, and were only recently tested and found to be compliant. We have been in discussions with the approving authorities and are hopeful of a positive outcome next week. As is stands today, all single burner stoves are still on hold in all states, however the two burner model 2282 can be sold in all states excluding NSW.
Clearly we will do whatever is required in order to be compliant, however at this stage we are in a bit of a holding pattern until such time as the authorities give us some clear direction in writing.
We apologise for the inconvenience, and I hope to have a clear plan of action to you early next week.

:cheers:
Ads
I wandered into Rays Outdoors today with my Wild Country (Rays Brand) twin butane cooker and asked for my recall refund only to be advised that there hasn't been a recall on that model as yet, so no refund for me. They aren't selling any at the moment until they get clarification on the fault and whether it affects their models.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »
Shoulda pulled out your oversize frypan and started cooking snags on their counter, bet they would of refunded you then  ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/