Author Topic: New Car warranty and aftermarket parts  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Cozzie

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Jets
New Car warranty and aftermarket parts
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »
Two days ago my Colorado died so had it tilt trayed to the Holden dealer, they ring me yesterday they found the problem the genuine Holden fuel pump has failed, then informed me no warranty as I have a aftermarket longrange tank installed and I have to pay $1100, what the tank has to do with the pump failing has got me stumped, if anyone is thinking of having an aftermarket upgrade be very carefull they seem to use any excuse not to honour warranty :'(

Cozzie
2008 Holden Colorado - 2012 19.61-2 OB Jayco Starcraft

Offline Cloud Basher

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wheelin' the 3rd best thing sitting down!
Re: New Car warranty and aftermarket parts
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
Cozzie,
This is absolute crap.  Tell them you will be off to the fair claims people and they will be on contact and that expect a letter from your solicitor as well.

They have to show that the aftermarket accessory directly impacted the fuel pump (maybe it had swarf in it that went through your filter etc?).  EG it sounds like it will be taken apart and they need to compare this to what is in your tank to prove it caused the problem.  Unless they get that they do not have a leg to stand on.

From mine and a number of other people's experiences, it is essentially down to a game of chicken and whoever baulks first pays.  So stick to your guns, get some support and hit them with it.  Start saying stuff in the service area in front of other customers very loudly.  And most importantly don't take no for an answer.

Good luck.

Cheers
CB
2017 200 Series Landcruiser as of 16/8/17
Custom made camping trailer; "The Slug"

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
I agree with Cloud Basher.

Also bet the company you bought your long range tank from wouldnt like to hear what was said by the dealer. Could affect sales.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
Yeah I'd be contacting the tank manufacturer
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
You'd be surprised how much crap is in your brand new tank before the after market tank got fitted. I have pulled tanks out of brand new cars and found metal filings and all sort of crap in them, my brand new BT 50 when I pulled the tank out of it 2 weeks ago had rust under the pump cover, a lot of cars have plastic tanks these dyas and they stil have metal filings in them.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
You'd be surprised how much crap is in your brand new tank before the after market tank got fitted. I have pulled tanks out of brand new cars and found metal filings and all sort of crap in them, my brand new BT 50 when I pulled the tank out of it 2 weeks ago had rust under the pump cover, a lot of cars have plastic tanks these dyas and they stil have metal filings in them.
You didn't get rid of the Patrol did you Brutal? Or is the BT50 for work?
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
na mate, still got the Patrol, just got a work ute and something to throw the motorbikes in the back of and tow the Jayco at the same time.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Pauly

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Whats This?
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »
I dont agree with getting loud but you do need to get advice, probly contact the tank supplier so he can talk to the dealer and speak to your government consumer people.

Cheers Pauly

New ride 2005 Landcruiser Sahara, Mickey T,s, dual batts Arb Sahara Bar, HID lights :)

Self made camper

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
Two days ago my Colorado died so had it tilt trayed to the Holden dealer, they ring me yesterday they found the problem the genuine Holden fuel pump has failed, then informed me no warranty as I have a aftermarket longrange tank installed and I have to pay $1100, what the tank has to do with the pump failing has got me stumped, if anyone is thinking of having an aftermarket upgrade be very carefull they seem to use any excuse not to honour warranty :'(

Cozzie

My condolences regarding your Colorado.
My little story regarding a Colorado warranty, we had a 4 banger Colorado 2 months out of waranty, it had done...28000k and it had done a head gaskit. Well after the shock, the workshop manager took it to the local holden dealer to try to talk about splitting the bill, seeing that work had brought 12, 4x4 & 4x2 diesel and petrol Colorado's, and they had a further 10 on order.
So with a book value of average $25,000 per vehicle, the dealer was going to make a cool $500,000 in sales for the month just out of this government department, so negotations were to take place.
The dealer said NO, no even to splitiing the bill..which was $1200.00, WTF !
The dealer which is called Quayside Holden Ballina said NO.
Dealer principal of this business...not a very good businessman.
The head manager of the workshop was not happy Jan!
Well, the 10 on order was pulled, all vehicles that now have to be turned over due mileage, forget Quayside Holden in Ballina / Lismore.
Suck Eggs Fellas!

In the past month and a half, 15 utes have been delivered, all are a mix of  Toyota / Nissans turbo diesels.

Post scipt to this, the Colorado 4 banger at 30,000k did the head gaskit again, seems the apprentice did'nt do his job properly on the original job...

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
My little story regarding a Colorado warranty, we had a 4 banger Colorado 2 months out of waranty, it had done...28000k and it had done a head gaskit. Well after the shock, the workshop manager took it to the local holden dealer to try to talk about splitting the bill, seeing that work had brought 12, 4x4 & 4x2 diesel and petrol Colorado's, and they had a further 10 on order.
So with a book value of average $25,000 per vehicle, the dealer was going to make a cool $500,000 in sales for the month just out of this government department, so negotations were to take place.
Well, the 10 on order was pulled, all vehicles that now have to be turned over due mileage, forget Quayside Holden in Ballina / Lismore.
Suck Eggs Fellas!

In the past month and a half, 15 utes have been delivered, all are a mix of  Toyota / Nissans turbo diesels.

Post scipt to this, the Colorado 4 banger at 30,000k did the head gaskit again, seems the apprentice did'nt do his job properly on the original job...

Karma is a bitch and it slapped this dealer hard 8) 8)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »
Suffer in your jocks  :cup:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline strudeltoowoomba

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »
I agree with Pauly, there is no point in getting loud with the Dealer, the warranty decision is not made by the individual dealer rather some clerk in the manufacturer's head office. I have found you get a better result when you work through the dealer and have them on your side against the manufacturer.
Strudeltoowoomba

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I bought a steel TJM bar so I could fit a winch on a bt50 and now have no recovery points or even tie down points. TJM's reply Quote "Sorry sir we do not make recovery points". What a nightmare it is turning into. I'm having trouble trying to remember why I needed a steel bar and winch for. No where are recovery points available for a bt50.

Moral, don't just look at what you are buying but look at it's whole affect on your vehicle.

Bert

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »
They might not "make" them but surely they can stock them ;D ;D ;D

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 08:20:35 AM »
Suck Eggs Fellas!

What sort of crap warranty do holden do if it is out at 28000k.
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Cozzie

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Jets
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 09:51:22 AM »
Thanks for all the tips and advise everyone much appreciated, had a bit of a win on Friday when the 4x4 shop that fitted the tank offered to go half's (a bit of good will) pretty good of em I think.

Going to have the tank removed to check for crap in the tank as we are leaving real soon for the big trip around the block, and don't want to have in the back of my mind that there could be crap floating around in the tank.

Cozzie
2008 Holden Colorado - 2012 19.61-2 OB Jayco Starcraft

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
What sort of crap warranty do holden do if it is out at 28000k.

Sounds wierd, but in the fine print, says, which ever is the greatest, either time or mileage.
 So you can have a car that has done 30,000km over 3 years 2 months,  its out of warranty by 2 months, eventhough it has done only 30,000km.

Car manufacturers...nearly as cunning as insurance companies...