Author Topic: Kimberley traditional owners want tighter controls and to charge a fee.  (Read 16113 times)

Offline MsTree

• Swag User
Re: Kimberley traditional owners want tighter controls and to charge a fee.
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 07:07:02 AM »
it won't stop with cruise operators .. it will spread to every sector

KingBilly

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »
I don't think many of the cruise passengers make their way to the Argyle mine tour.

To put some perspective on how much money is involved here, a video aboard ship indicated that the last ship built by the cruise operator whose ship I was aboard cost the company 800 million US dollars to build, that is over a trillion AUD. The latest of these ships on this companies fleet operates out of Perth and sails up to the Kimberley.

With vast amounts of income generated by these cruise companies comes the ability to influence and lobby governments. I for one will not begrudge the indigenous people of the Kimberly charging for entry to their lands. They are going to need a pretty large wallet if it comes down to a fight against the cruise operators.

Agree with your sentiments Marschy (surprise, surprise)

But a small numerical error me thinks

1,000 = one thousand
1,000,000 = one million
1,000,000,000 = one billion
1,000,000,000,000 = one trillion

KB

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 07:17:43 AM »
edit.  wrong link.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:32:57 AM by paceman »

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 07:47:06 AM »
I think we all agree it is not about the money, we are willing to pay our way no matter where we go.  It is about what has happened so far with the waste of money that has been poured into certain community groups.  This is not a maybe it is a proven and has been widely reported and those of us who have travelled to remote parts of this country have seen the results.  Yes we agree that land you own you have the right to manage it how you want according to law.  In my community the infrastructure is supplied by either local or state government and everyone is allowed to drive through my community and they are allowed to take photos of the area as they drive through.  Common law says anyone can even enter into my property and walk directly up to my front door and remain until I tell them to leave my property.  I have been to other communities and confronted by signs saying that I am not allowed to enter, to drive down the street and I am not allowed to take photos.  No difference to my community where the infrastructure is supplied by either local or state government.  Another town I had to pay $50 just to drive through to go to a camping area.  Another town I entered to get fuel there was a sign telling me that I had to report to the community office and sign in and get approval to go to the fuel station and get my fuel.  OK things happened when this country was invaded as they say.  Like every other country in the world.  It was not you or me that did this.  If someone is to blame then why not blame England?  Sorry to ramble on but like I said, I hate discrimination and the waste of our money and hate being blamed for what happened a long time ago.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
Private property owners usualy dont get taxpayer funding to the tune of multiple millions either like the ones in question already do .
Want to run these areas as a business and charge a fee is fine, pay taxes on earnings and receive no  taxpayer funding as other  property owners have to, No problem ..I'd  pay the $110 to visit if we wanted to go there .
That $110 you have to pay isnt just for the land access,  if you just want to travel past that area  it covers a few klicks out to sea from the coast as well .
Not wanting to start an off topic argument, but it seems to me that there aren't too many non-traditional landowners / leases who don't get some form of taxpayer subsidy.
E.g. Fuel rebates.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 09:59:50 AM »
Not wanting to start an off topic argument, but it seems to me that there aren't too many non-traditional landowners / leases who don't get some form of taxpayer subsidy.
E.g. Fuel rebates.

OK, I will put my hand up.  Own acreage with cattle and do not get any form of taxpayer subsidy.....  Fully self funded retiree.  We have a camper trailer and travel a lot so that is our 'life style choice' and we would not expect to receive any handouts.   ;D   Kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:23 AM »
Good on you Kevin.
I had heard tell that there was a cattle farmer out there somewhere who wasn't claiming the diesel subsidy.  :cheers:
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline lyn4680

• Swag User
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:17:40 PM by lyn4680 »
The following users thanked this post: Barry G, steppenwolf

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »
I'm always a bit dubious when people say they don't get handouts or subsidies.

Did you claim anything on previous tax returns? Negative gear or claiming on rentals. Salary sacrificing into super or other ways to reduce your taxable income, Family Trusts?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of these. I do as many as I can.  I'm sure the majority of us work the system to get the best outcome for us and our family.  But...  These are all handouts and subsidies

OK now, I am not sure that you meant to accuse me, but NO!!!!   But I do not have to justify my life style and if you do not believe me, then tough.   I think I better get out of this thread as it seems some just have to take it a bit too far.   And I am sure there are others out there who also do not get handouts or subsidies.    Kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 04:03:14 PM »

Interesting thread and before it gets closed.

My thoughts are.

If they want to do it good on them. As mentioned don't go. We are all happy to pay reef fees, national park fees etc? There will never be an us it will always be us and them. But that's life.

Having experienced living in a remote area, it has really opened my eyes and unless you have you will never understand.

Whether you get a handout or not does it really matter. Is it because we are not. We all have the option and money to travel, where you want to go and what you think is worth paying for is always your decision. Whether who runs or owns it.

Hang on, I forgot the Govt is ripping us off all the time but that's fine they are from our side of the fence.

It's still the lucky country.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia
The following users thanked this post: Barry G, slave

Offline lyn4680

• Swag User
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 04:10:26 PM »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:17:07 PM by lyn4680 »

Marschy

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 09:15:57 PM »
It cost my family in excess of $300 to see the pristine beauty of the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef 20 years ago, and it was worth every penny.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
Check out the lmintji store closure on the Gibb River Road   . then come back to try to sell me the story of  ,,,,,,,,,The rot has stepped up a bit further  :'( :'(

l fear for this country                                                             
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »
Check out the lmintji store closure on the Gibb River Road   . then come back to try to sell me the story of  ,,,,,,,,,The rot has stepped up a bit further  :'( :'(

l fear for this country                                                             

No different to any other dispute between owner and lessee anywhere ... so long as not viewing it through coloured glasses.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »
I'm always a bit dubious when people say they don't get handouts or subsidies.

Did you claim anything on previous tax returns? Negative gear or claiming on rentals. Salary sacrificing into super or other ways to reduce your taxable income, Family Trusts?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of these. I do as many as I can.  I'm sure the majority of us work the system to get the best outcome for us and our family.  But...  These are all handouts and subsidies

Just goes to show how much some people have their blinders on. Are you really serious comparing tax returns and the like which, by the way, are products of working hard and contributing to society, to government handouts to people who are flat out not interested in working. Please spare me.       
    And I will say that I'm sick of this labeling that the problems are my fault. I think it is very sad and I truly feel for what happened to people in the past but I'm sick of hearing that my grandfather, father, myself and my son are somehow the fault of all these peoples woes. Go back and blame the pommy settlers by all means, but I was born here as too were my previous generations and now my son and we are expected to feel less entitled to this great land all because someone else was here before me.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 08:07:32 PM »
No different to any other dispute between owner and lessee anywhere ... so long as not viewing it through coloured glasses.

Glasses of any hue can be distorted by the colour of money                                          :-*
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »
Just goes to show how much some people have their blinders on. Are you really serious comparing tax returns and the like which, by the way, are products of working hard and contributing to society, to government handouts to people who are flat out not interested in working. Please spare me.       
    And I will say that I'm sick of this labeling that the problems are my fault. I think it is very sad and I truly feel for what happened to people in the past but I'm sick of hearing that my grandfather, father, myself and my son are somehow the fault of all these peoples woes. Go back and blame the pommy settlers by all means, but I was born here as too were my previous generations and now my son and we are expected to feel less entitled to this great land all because someone else was here before me.
I think I love you.
Best post ever.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »

Glasses of any hue can be distorted by the colour of money                                          :-*
Jamie, you are saying you 'fear for the country' and what prompted this comment was that a group of indigenous landowners dared to have a dispute with a lessee, so changed the locks.
The only difference between that and hundreds of other cases is the colour of the owners' skin.
Happy to have it demonstrated that it is otherwise.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 08:32:24 PM »
What a shame its now turning into a racism thread.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia
The following users thanked this post: steppenwolf

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »

Mark
[/quote

Ahh, the old racism card thrown in to stop all discussion. My comments are in no way racist by definition, nor were they meant to be.
My Trailer Build

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2015, 09:03:07 PM »

Mark
[/quote

Ahh, the old racism card thrown in to stop all discussion. My comments are in no way racist by definition, nor were they meant to be.
Not racist, just directed at indiginous population. How is that not 'racist by definition'?

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »
Not racist, just directed at indiginous population. How is that not 'racist by definition'?

Brrrt, wrong. Here's a quick definition for ya. "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."
 In no way have a ever believed I am superior to another person, we are all human. My comments were directed at anyone who keeps blaming me and my generations either side of me for their life troubles, whatever they may be. I do not see a persons colour, I base my opinions on character and how they act and carry themselves in life, but I still don't judge.
My Trailer Build

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2015, 09:28:42 PM »
Brrrt, wrong. Here's a quick definition for ya. "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."
 In no way have a ever believed I am superior to another person, we are all human. My comments were directed at anyone who keeps blaming me and my generations either side of me for their life troubles, whatever they may be. I do not see a persons colour, I base my opinions on character and how they act and carry themselves in life, but I still don't judge.
You described them as "people who are flat out not interested in working" ... This about people on the other side of the country, who you presumably have no direct experience of, ... how is that consistent with your claim to "base my opinions on character and how they act .. but I still don't judge."?

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 09:58:12 PM »
You described them as "people who are flat out not interested in working" ... This about people on the other side of the country, who you presumably have no direct experience of, ... how is that consistent with your claim to "base my opinions on character and how they act .. but I still don't judge."?
Because the ones that are contributing to society and have made something of their lives are not the ones who are complaining and blaming everyone else. This all has to stop somewhere and I'm not just talking about people in remote communities. It doesn't matter where you are, the sense of entitlement and poor me has to end for all races. There are so many do gooders that still have not come up with a solution to the problems. Do you know, because I don't.
    Back on topic, why do I have to pay to drive through an area of my country when a person who was born on the same day as me in this country as well, doesn't have to pay because of their racial background? We KNOW for a FACT that throwing more money at it is not the solution. I probably wouldn't mind if the money from these schemes actually went to the communities and helped people to get on their feet, but they have to want to change or it is fruitless. Have you personally been to these communities to make your judgements as you accuse me of lacking in first hand experience.
My Trailer Build

Offline lyn4680

• Swag User
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 10:01:44 PM »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:16:39 PM by lyn4680 »