Author Topic: Hello from Wizzbang  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Wizzbang

• Learning the Ropes
Hello from Wizzbang
« on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:10 AM »
Hi fellow campers,
So after 50 years of camping in tents we have retired the family tent and purchased a Walk Thru Camper Trailer from Far Horizon, Aldinga, South Australia.
Found a second hand one still in almost new condition which allowed me to add all the extras I needed for a reasonable overall cost.
We now have a camper trailer with a full DRIFTA kitchen and storage box, 280Ah of battery, REDARC Battery Management System, EvaKool 60L fridge, LED lighting and a ceiling fan for those hot summer nights. Super comfortable bed and just cannot find enough excuses to go camping.
Photo attached is our maiden voyage to Moana Caravan Park.
Planning on going off grid in the Flinders Ranges soon so a solar panel will be my last purchase probably a 200 Watt Kings folding blanket.
Very happy to have spent well under $20K and have everything we need. A Weber Q for my birthday has been a great addition.
Setup time is one hour, 20 mins for the basic setup, 40 mins for the annex which is not too bad. My aim is 15 minutes for the basic setup one I have had some practice and tweaked a few things.
Anyhow,
Happy Camping
Wizzbang
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:17:38 PM by Wizzbang »
Happy Camping

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Hello from Wizzbang
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:06:05 AM »
Nice wizzbang, happy travels. :cheers:
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:29:15 AM »
Welcome to myswag.  Great looking CT

Happy camping
KB

Offline Wizzbang

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 02:30:51 PM »
DRIFTA Kitchen Layout works well
Happy Camping

Offline Wizzbang

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 12:25:52 PM »
Well it's been a year since we have purchased out camper trailer and time for an update.
We have spent at least 20 nights in the camper trailer and travelled several 1000 kms.
Issues:
Manufacturer not interested in supporting us - bought secondhand so not unexpected but they won't get my next purchase either..
Water tank spills water while on move - needed to bung the tank filling point with a rubber cork
Broken bow knuckle due to very high winds - freak accident - looking for a replacement now
Ball weight on high side of specification - I think moving the trailer wheel position forward 400mm would have been a good design decision
DRIFTA kitchen missing several screws - fixed immediately by DRIFTA - great company to work with
LED lighting cables - plugs occasionally bend pins - more solid plugs and sockets would be better - I'll do it myself once the plugs start failing
Set up time - still takes an hour - but it's effortless and a cold beer and comfortable chair takes 5 minutes - I can live with that I'm on holidays so what's the rush anyway
Regrets:
Haven't used the camper trailer enough
Pros:
Cost - I am still well under $20K and have replaced many of our old camping items with better quality new items more suited to a camper trailer lifestyle
Battery Power - 280AH battery and 200W solar has been perfect - 5 days off grid with cloudy days and still 85% battery capacity - one sunny day would have been 100% batetry capacity
DRIFTA kitchen - what a pleasure to use and very well designed, I keep finding little features that make things easier
Croc Bin - this is a cheap item but makes a big difference in keeping the place tidy and clean
Weber Q - you can cook anything with it, we now sit around the campfire and use the weber for cooking, camp stove used for hot water only now

Happy Camping
Happy Camping

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
Wizzbang

A great set up you have there.
Happy & Safe Travels.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)