Author Topic: Market Direct Campers (MDC)  (Read 31614 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Market Direct Campers (MDC)
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
Wondering if this one will go the same way another alphabet company went after healthy discussion.
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
I would say the best thing for them to do as good will and standing behind their product is to send you a complete new trailer, and they take this one back and fix it..

Probably not. But fix it they should.

Warranty claims usually don't include the cost of shipping the goods back and forth. On a small item thats usually not to much of an issue, and its often shared by both parties (one each way). On something like a CT, well thats going to be an expensive procedure.

Without knowing the full history of this saga. The truth of the matter is, that regardless of the truth; both parties have to find some common ground. It doesn't matter how they communicate, email or phone, just do it. Email isn't so bad, as everything is in writing. Telephone conversations can get a bit "he said she said".

How hard would it be to remove the tent section completely from the trailer and send it back to MDC for repair or replacement ? It would certainly be a far cheaper option than trying to ship the whole box and dice.

On the mattress front. I believe the manufacturer has offered to reimburse the customer for the cost of a mattress. That to me is fair and reasonable.

My advice would be to pick up the phone and talk it out (reasonably). Come to an agreement, then have the supplier put it in writing by sending a email. The customer replies by email accepting the offer. Then get on with fixing the problem.

If either party is unwilling to negotiate a fair outcome, take it to the relevant authorities for mediation.

Regardless of whether or not MDC are doing the right thing (legally and morally) or not, this issue has become more of a public relations exercise. Maybe they just have to take their lumps on this one, bite the bullet and realise that to make this problem go away will cost money.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »

Regardless of whether or not MDC are doing the right thing (legally and morally) or not, this issue has become more of a public relations exercise. Maybe they just have to take their lumps on this one, bite the bullet and realise that to make this problem go away will cost money.

And for the largest camper trailer manufacturer in Australia it should be pocket change to sort it out? Right? You know they sell so many units a month warranties issues shouldn't even get this far. 

Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »
Wondering if this one will go the same way another alphabet company went after healthy discussion.

Yep I reckon

Offline Market Direct Campers

• Tent User
  • www.marketdirect.com.au PH: 1300 4x4 4x4
    • MDC Camper Trailers & Caravans
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »
Hello All,

We thankyou for your comments.

We do back up our product 100%.
Steve has sent us a PM and we will be working with him to resolve his issues.

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider
[img width= height=]http://www.importersandwholesalers.com.au/forum/myswaglogo2.jpg[/img]

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
its not what I call healthy discussion. I don't think we know all the ins and outs of this.
I am impressed at MDC's responses on this forum (on other topics as well) and really don't think trial by forum is the way forward.

I would be more than happy with all correspondence via email, that way there is proof of who said what when.

perhaps consumer affairs can offer more constructive advice.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 12:07:12 AM »
The OP seems to be happy enough with the camper, although he has found some faults which naturally he would like repaired.  As he has said in his post he did not wish to go into detail about them as he was still in negotiation with MDC to have the problems rectified.  the majer problem appears to be the after sales service the OP is having to get the repairs done without himself being out of pocket for MDC's faults'  No one can blame him for that.

Regardless of how much money you spend of something you still expect to get the product you bought to be the right product and be right to work.  The major problem the OP is having is the After Sales Service, or lack there off the he deems is satisfactory in his circumstances.  I dare say if he lived in the same city as the outlet, there would be no drama.

Regardless of what we may think of MDC Inside, them self, They are trying to do the right thing here, but it is still a shame that they have to become involved in something that should have been otherwise sorted by the sales people in the first place,.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:31 AM »
Would be interested to see MDC's warranty policy. I'd bet it doesn't cover travel to and from a repairer. If that's the case and the purchaser isn't willing to deliver it for warranty claims, then I guess they're up Shit creek.

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User

Offline DaveCQ

• Tent User
  • Dave
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 07:11:08 AM »
Interesting. I purchased the first Trackabout Dakar and had a small issue with where the spare wheel pins back. Rang Trackabout and told them that it worked fine, but I did not think that it was rugged enough to give me years of service, unlike the rest of the trailer. They asked for pictures, agreed with me and fixed the issue. The new setup is what's used on all the Dakars built since. They were very apologetic, upgraded a couple of other things I was already happy with, and even gave me an esky to say sorry for the drama. That's service. The thing is, been the first one they built, we expected dramas of some sort anyway.

There's Camper Trailer manufacturers and then there's others. My opinion only.

I hope you get it sorted mate. All the best.
Toyota D4D Prado 150
Trackabout Dakar Extenda -Sold
AOR Quantum Plus on order.

Offline urkel011

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
Would be interested to see MDC's warranty policy. I'd bet it doesn't cover travel to and from a repairer. If that's the case and the purchaser isn't willing to deliver it for warranty claims, then I guess they're up **** creek.

Shane.

Shane do you not think that weather it covers it or not and if you have read the previous messages it is a brand new camper it is in fact not a warranty claim but a manufacturers defect. I purchased a brand new camper with all intent to view camper before I took it then would I understand that I had accepted it and the way it was but as I stated before I turned up on the contracted due date( all this after ringing the week before and being told it would be there) after travelling 1800km for one reason only and that was to pick my camper up. The camper wasn't there or in WA so in turn I could not view it or criticise it as there was nothing there for me. the agreement was that they would then freight it as it would be six weeks away, six weeks come and went and nothing another 3 weeks later I get a call saying my camper is on a truck which I had asked previous to let me know when it was ready so I could organise for someone to view it. but too late was on a truck. I have spoken to the correct departments and they assure me it is not a warranty claim but more goes down the line of a manufaturers defect. (whats the difference I have no idea but have given them all the info so they have a better idea than me).
Thanks for your comments.
Hopefully it gets sorted soon enough still waiting on a reply to my PM or a phone call but in due time we will see.
like others have said there is always 2 sides to the story sometimes ones have more truth than the others.i have photo and emails of all my comments so I guesss that's what counts at end off day.
Lets wait and see what the outcome is and ill be sure to keep everyone  in the loop
cheers for everyones comments good and bad

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
Hopefully this all gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction. If urkell011 is being entirely truthful I feel he has a really good case and everything should be made good by MDC, as the fact that the camper wasn't completed and he was told it would be by a certain date, should see MDC rectify all faults at their cost including all freight IMO. With only urkel011 and MDC knowing the exact story everything else is a bit he said, she said and we can all only go on theses statements.

Sent from the machine that goes..... Bing!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:31:34 PM by Marcus73 »

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
Hopefully this all gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction. If what urkell011 is being entirely truthful I feel he has a really good case and everything should be made good by MDC, as the fact that the camper wasn't completed and he was told it would be by a certain date, should see MDC rectify all faults at their cost including all freight IMO. With only urkel011 and MDC knowing the exact story everything else is a bit he said, she said and we can all only go on theses statements.

X2......
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Beefgravy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
Wow some pretty harsh views here. The unfortunate consequence of making a purchase a long way from home is the difficulty faced by manufacturers to provide service to you. You wouldnt stay in business too long if you had to fly people 1300k's to pop in a couple of screws anmd take care of minor warrantly issues.
What I fear comes from this sort of thing is reluctance for manufacturers to sell anything to anyone outside their own region. This in tuirn makes it difficult for the remotely located to actually make a purchase and get delivery on goods. I wanted to buy a MDC trailer myself but with the bass strait between me and the nearest office was up for a $2,000 freight expense. Similarly had I made purchase I would have expected warranty claim difficulties.
A pretty tough situation for both parties, good luck to you both.
cheers

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »
IMO the OP had used his initiative to overcome the the remoteness problem by arranging leave and travelling down to pick up at the agreed time, only to discover that a) it was not ready at the agreed time - 'strike one' & b) he had not been advised of that, again contrary to agreement - 'strike 2'.
Likewise, he had asked to be told when it was ready, so he could arrange for someone else to check it out, but it was shipped to him without this occurring asd agreed - 'strike three'.
Had any of the above 3 agreed commitments been met by MDC he would not now have a problem, so I can see exactly why he is upset.
If I was him I too would think it bad enough that my NEW camper would end up being a REPAIRED one, totally due to manufacturer negligence, even if nothing that would be surprising occassionally given thir volume of manufacture.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »

IMO the OP had used his initiative to overcome the the remoteness problem by arranging leave and travelling down to pick up at the agreed time, only to discover that a) it was not ready at the agreed time - 'strike one' & b) he had not been advised of that, again contrary to agreement - 'strike 2'.
Likewise, he had asked to be told when it was ready, so he could arrange for someone else to check it out, but it was shipped to him without this occurring asd agreed - 'strike three'.
Had any of the above 3 agreed commitments been met by MDC he would not now have a problem, so I can see exactly why he is upset.
If I was him I too would think it bad enough that my NEW camper would end up being a REPAIRED one, totally due to manufacturer negligence, even if nothing that would be surprising occassionally given thir volume of manufacture.

I totally agree with everything mentioned here IF this is what has occurred. All of us only know what we've been told on here and while I'd hope it's all truthful, how can we really know. Being in business myself I can understand how hard some customers can be, but on the flip side if the events were as described and it was my business I'd take it as a stuff up on my part and make sure the problem is rectified, even if that meant taking a big hit to the profit. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you deal with them that will be remembered

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »
I totally agree with everything mentioned here IF this is what has occurred. All of us only know what we've been told on here and while I'd hope it's all truthful, how can we really know. Being in business myself I can understand how hard some customers can be, but on the flip side if the events were as described and it was my business I'd take it as a stuff up on my part and make sure the problem is rectified, even if that meant taking a big hit to the profit. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you deal with them that will be remembered

I agree - probably should have stated that caveat myself, but given that the OP didn't put all the detail up until asked I would think he is probably on the level.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline sunfan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2014, 05:32:02 PM »
Home from work and my oh my! If i was an Australian Manufacturer I wouldn't want to be mentioned in the same breath as MDC. It isn't really fair to compare MDC with anybody else, even other imported trailers I reckon.

I noticed the big website advertisement of ADR hitch and was impressed at the time. Now myswag members say it has a non permanent sticker plate when its supposed to be stamped on both Male & Female bits. I'm wondering who the independent tester with name and results blacked out is, he or she may not be in business and cant be sued, but who knows?

To be fair Im a bit annoyed anonymous insider wouldnt let me know where I can see the one camper trailer he claims is manufactured here because its not a model listed on the MDC website.
Can anyone enlighten me without bagging other companys. Josh.

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »
I purchased a brand new camper with all intent to view camper before I took it then would I understand that I had accepted it and the way it was but as I stated before I turned up on the contracted due date( all this after ringing the week before and being told it would be there)

just common courtesy would of been to call the customer to say its not there...

again

and again

Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »
This is interesting: Its the new MDC XT-10

Looks a hell of lot like this: Lifestyle AT-10

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2014, 06:21:20 PM »
where on earth did you find a photo?  :cup:

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »
As someone else said,trial by forum does not help anyone,all that happens is we get a he said he said etc. Its fine to vent I suppose but much better to sort it out between both parties & if that fails go to the relevant authorities.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2014, 06:32:06 PM »

Right there is someone who is in business. That is how you need to look at it.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2014, 07:09:13 PM »
Sunfan
The only comparrison I am referring to is discussion locked as per the pic ....
Its happened once already and I'm thinking it may not be long till it happens again .....we will see ..
Any other inferences and trains of thought other than the above belong to those that think them, not to me ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:44 PM »
In my opinion these threads are not particularly helpful to anyone, I have just read the thread right through and can't see the issue being resolved here and a potential for it to get worse.
Good luck to all involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).