Author Topic: What is this old Jayco?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
What is this old Jayco?
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
Looks like i may be picking up this old Jayco thats been offered to me via a friends family for a very reasonable price.

This 80's Jayco has been used a total of 7 times since new and is immaculate, especially inside, i had to crawl around a bit to view it going back on Saturday when it will be a full setup. Cant complain about the price either, i am getting it rather cheap. We will be turning it into an Outback touring machine over time.

I am wondering what it is? as it has a club lounge up the front and is setup like a Eagle but the only 80's units i can find that are like it are Swans but this doesnt seem to have the longer benchs etc of the swan range. Its definatley not a Dove but appears to fall into the mid size, body length is 4meters, its says year of manufacture on the rego as 1900 :cup: tare weight 750kg.

Inside not a mark on the old girl and everything is spotless, not even a smell of being closed up, even the stove is spotless, not a mark on it. The canvas is as new and feels new. Amazing to find something in this condition.

So does anyone know what this unit may be, i have dated it to approx 1980-85, still has the original tyres on it so i will get those off pretty quick after i do the suspension upgrade.

Heres a couple of pics until i get more again on the weekend when shes opened up properly.

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
Re: What is this old Jayco?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »
Could be a sunwagon i think but not sure...
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:46:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply, i cant even find an interior shot of a Sunwagon to compare  ???

looking looking

8)

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
Early 80's swan I reckon, amazing condion, good score :cup:.

Look at the canvas behind the sink, there is a sleeve sewn into it that the electrical cable to the roof runs through, usually sewn into the side of this sleeve is a tag that has the model and year written on it in pen.  Otherwise check inside the cupboard under the sink for an electical or gas compliance sticker, somethines these have the model on but usually always have the yaer.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:12:49 PM »
Hava chat to Singo26 I think has Ct is about the same vintage  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
Will fit nicely behind the Forie, a few mods and they should be well matched for the back country. :D
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »
Early 80's swan I reckon, amazing condion, good score :cup:.

Look at the canvas behind the sink, there is a sleeve sewn into it that the electrical cable to the roof runs through, usually sewn into the side of this sleeve is a tag that has the model and year written on it in pen.  Otherwise check inside the cupboard under the sink for an electical or gas compliance sticker, somethines these have the model on but usually always have the yaer.

Thanks for all that info Burnsy  :cheers:

The condition inside is as new i couldnt believe it  8)

Hava chat to Singo26 I think has Ct is about the same vintage  :cheers:
Thanks mate i will hit him up for some info after the weekend when i have more of idea of what i have got here internally.

Will fit nicely behind the Forie, a few mods and they should be well matched for the back country. :D

Hey Barry!! already working out the 12 volt system for it, and the solar panels, and the checker plate around the bottom of the camper, and the suspenders and the tool box and the drawbar extension later on. Trying to keep a lid on it and just tackle one bit at time and do plenty of shakedown trips in between. Going to be like a kid with a new toy  >:D 

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:28:27 PM »
Tony,
Have a look at the traxide circuit diagrams in my electrical thread - its in the list on one of the stickys at the top of the thread.  The Tasie trip will give you some time to 'chill' and ensure you 'make haste slowly'!
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
Tony,
Have a look at the traxide circuit diagrams in my electrical thread - its in the list on one of the stickys at the top of the thread.  The Tasie trip will give you some time to 'chill' and ensure you 'make haste slowly'!

Barry

thanks for the info  :cheers:

Yeah Tassie in 5.5 weeks, my last tent/swag adventure for awhile so i better get over it quick haha.
Will be able to start my camper project in earnest after that trip for sure. Going Outback Aussie next year so i should have a bucket load of mods in the can by then.  ;D

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »
I.D solved i found info on "Hairs" camper inc pics and its the same one without the mods of course.

So i have an 80's Swan that i found out today has done maybe 3000k all on tar, so i will bring it into the workshop here at work bleed the brakes through replace the fluid adjust then see how it runs stock then start the mods form there.

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
Good one Tony, you would do well to do a chassis replacement/upgrade before you load it up to much and do any corrugated roads with it.  They are known for bending over the spring mounts/axels and once this happens it effects all the cabinetry inside and the effectiveness of the door.  If you can manage to keep it straight and stop it from doing this you will be on a real winner.  The doors are a real pain once they have sagged and I still can't get mine right even now that the full chassis replacement has been done.

Cheers,
Mike

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
Good one Tony, you would do well to do a chassis replacement/upgrade before you load it up to much and do any corrugated roads with it.  They are known for bending over the spring mounts/axels and once this happens it effects all the cabinetry inside and the effectiveness of the door.  If you can manage to keep it straight and stop it from doing this you will be on a real winner.  The doors are a real pain once they have sagged and I still can't get mine right even now that the full chassis replacement has been done.

Cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike!!

I have been sussing out your camper its come along well, ad thanks for the heads up on the bits and pieces that flex out of place.

We are already onto sussing out the chassis as where i work we build car trailers (big ones) as well as transport cars. The guy that does our trailers who actually got me the camper was saying he will do some angle iron reinforcing of the chassis and later down the track extend the drawbar, we are also doing 10" electric brakes hub to hub and upgrade to 15" rims and making the suspension better as well. Anything to do with the chassis, brakes axles making front boxs etc i just walk through the office door and my fabricator is there  :cup:

cheers
Tony

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »
Sounds like you have it all sorted, make sure you post lots of pictures of the upgrade.

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
Yeah i will mate

I will start a thread once i get the thing, hopefully some time next week.

cheers
Toony