Author Topic: Beach camping  (Read 4607 times)

Offline IanDeb

• Learning the Ropes
  • Life is for liv....camping!
Beach camping
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
Hi all,

We are Brissie based and are looking for beachfront camping locations within a couple of hours drive from Brisvegas.  We have stayed at Fraser and Teewah, two of our most favourite places on earth, but want to try others.  Are there any in northern NSW worth a look?

Any help would be appreciated.
Ian

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Beach camping
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
If your happy with the "caravan park" style of camping.... Brooms Head, has a shop and a bowlo, busy in holidays but very relaxed rest of the year. If being more remote is your idea.....Pebbley beach is the place for you, cross a tidal creek to gain acess to the campgrounds after a short beach drive.

:cheers:
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline IanDeb

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
Thank you,

My wife's family has been camping at the "Broom" for over 20 years.  It is an amazing place, yes very crowded at Chrissie, not sure about Easter, but I thoroughly recommend it to everyone.
Thanks again,
Ian

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:11:27 PM »
Stockton is probably a bit further south than you had in mind - but well worth the visit if you are passing by.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

tinkera

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
HI Have to agree Brooms is great you,ll probably bump into more QLD,S. than NSW,s people there great off season.Sandon River camp ground, Red Rock down further and Pebbly Beach been there haven,t camped there but you must be self sufficient.Woody Head other across the river NTH of Yamba is another good spot great place Nth NSW and great people too.TINKERA 

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
There is beach camping at Bribie, and of course Straddie, moreton and Fraser ........

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline daveb

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Go Pies
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »
Beach camping at Bribie is very good, well regulated so never too busy, no fires is the only drawback, but we have learnt to live without fire when at Bribie, just sit around a large citronella candle for some mood lighting and a few beers, you could be anywhere in the world.
Highly recommend for families with smaller children.
daveb. :cheers:
05Td Prado and Jimboomba Camper.

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »
Hi All,

Pebbly is great and I can recommend it from many stays. But the creek is very tempremental in terms of depth and tide dependent. If worse comes to worse and you dont tackle the creek the other camping area there - Station Creek - is just as good in my opinion. So certainly not a wasted trip. These are in Yuragir NP and there are many more to chose from in this park, places already mentioned. A fave of ours was Lake Arragan.

If you are willing to come that far south then the other plavce might be Red Rock caravan park. It is pretty much ocean front and the village is quiet.

Black Rocks in Bundjalung NP (turn off just south of Woodburn) has been recommended to me too. I have never stayed there but plan to as soon as I get the chance.

If you want some company lets us know and we may be able to tag along ...

Hope this helps,

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
I have seen a lot of people from this side(south) of Brisbane at Blackrocks in Bundjalung NP its about 2.5hrs south , But do youself a favour and get the annual pass for country parks (about $ 25 I think for 12 months) as a minimum other wise they hit you up $7 a day for your vehicle, take your own firewood and water free gas BBQ,s hybrid toilets and check out Jerusalem Ck on the Northern end as you drive in  their are about 40 sites and some will accommodate a couple of CT's, about 6K's south of Woodburn take Gap Rd approx 25km/ 20k gravel 2wd accessable watch the first couple of k's that the council maintain can be rough.

Offline hairymick

• Tent User
  • 2010 Nissan Navara D22, 2005 Kimberly Escape
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »
G'day Ian and Deb, and welcome to Myswag.

I grew up in the Iluka area and camped at Woody head often. this was a long time ago but can vouch for the beauty of the place. it is on the northern side of the headland and as such is sheltered from the prevailing south easterly winds. the fishing there can be red hot at times.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline IanDeb

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
Thanks everyone.
This trip we are being stalked by a motorhome otherwise we probably would be inviting others to join us.  Great idea (coffs camping, J) and we should consider a group trip there in the future.  I will certainly remember the offer.

Love the input we are getting from you all.  Thank you once again,
Group camping, what a great idea, I will not leave it too long,
Ian

tinkera

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
HI ALL The last trip I had to Brooms local was telling me a lot  of QLD,s were coming down to camp just for the weekend be it probably a 3 dayer because QLD spots are getting too over crowded.As I said bumped into a lot QLD,s down there doing the same as us looking for somewhere uncrowded to stay.TINKERA.

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »
We laugh at the Qld'ers and wonder if Queensland is beautiful one day and perfect the next, what the heck they are all doing in New South Wales!!

8)

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
We all make a trip over the border occasioanlly to bring ya cockroaches back! lol

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »
I have seen a lot of people from this side(south) of Brisbane at Blackrocks in Bundjalung NP its about 2.5hrs south , But do youself a favour and get the annual pass for country parks (about $ 25 I think for 12 months) as a minimum other wise they hit you up $7 a day for your vehicle, take your own firewood and water free gas BBQ,s hybrid toilets and check out Jerusalem Ck on the Northern end as you drive in  their are about 40 sites and some will accommodate a couple of CT's, about 6K's south of Woodburn take Gap Rd approx 25km/ 20k gravel 2wd accessable watch the first couple of k's that the council maintain can be rough.

Hi Grizzly, can you give some more information about the Country Parks please. Is there a website or a directory giving locations and reviews of these parks and where can these annual passes be obtained from.

Thanks

Robbo

Offline IanDeb

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 07:33:37 AM »
Hey J,

No to put too finer point on it, there are no vacancies in any of our parks or best spots.  Those south of the border were just too quick for us.  Being from NSW ourselves we understand this perfectly, Qld is perfect as you say and we Qlders love showing it off.  We are a proud bunch.

Ian
PS Is that an old Swan you had?

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »
G'Day Robbo
The Passes are Available on the Department of Environment and Conservation, Climate Change and Water NSW( National Parks and Wild Life Service) web site or from their offices, the closest to you would be Murwillumbah, There is one at Byron Bay and Alstonville and the Kiosk at Woody Head near Iluka http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/annualpass/WhichAnnualPassShouldIBuy.htm, I just worked out how to copy the web address that takes you straight there, If you have a consession card you have to take it with you for proof, its a bit of mucking about however if you stay for more than a few nights a year it will save you so brass and trying to find the right change, hope this is helpful
Grizzly