Author Topic: A warning to all remote travellers  (Read 2132 times)

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
A warning to all remote travellers
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
From The West Australian newspaper Tuesday: What a terrible way to go. The old rule about staying with the vehicle is worth remembering.

A stranded truck driver walked more than 30km for help in searing heat in the desert near Wiluna before dying about 300m from water.

Anthony John Bradanovich, 35, is believed to have died from exposure and dehydration after his prime mover became bogged on the unsealed Gunbarrel Highway.

His body was found near the side of the highway about 22km east of Wiluna and more than 950km north-east of Perth on Sunday afternoon.

Police revealed the Herne Hill man was wearing a singlet, shorts and work boots and did not appear to have a hat or a water bottle.

Wiluna police found his truck almost 32km further east on the highway, also known as Wongawol Road, after two Wiluna residents found his body about 4.30pm and raised the alarm.

Mr Bradanovich, a subcontractor for Toll, had left Perth on Friday evening and was expected to drop equipment at Newmont's Jundee goldmine, about 55km north-east of Wiluna, on Saturday afternoon.

But he missed the turn-off about 6km from Wiluna.

When he realised his mistake, he tried to turn the vehicle and its three laden trailers around but became bogged in the red dirt.

Kalgoorlie Acting Insp. Rod Wilde said it appeared the man had tried to walk back to Wiluna for help, despite the temperature being more than 42C.

Police are investigating Mr Bradanovich's death for the Coroner and will check whether he had a working satellite radio or phone, an EPIRB and supplies.

"Initial investigations are that he did not have a large supply of water," Acting Insp. Wilde said.

"We encourage people to stay with their vehicle if they get into trouble. It is easier to find than a person walking alone.

"It is harsh terrain and temperatures are extreme."

It appeared the parched driver searched for water because he was found near a small dam wall which was dry. But water was just 300m away.

Acting Insp. Wilde said a passer-by saw the abandoned truck about 3pm on Saturday. But the man, who had driven from Wiluna, said he did not see Mr Bradanovich walking towards town nor near the truck.

It is believed the passer-by did not raise the alarm and police are still investigating whether the mine or Toll raised fears when the truck did not arrive on time.

A spokesman for Toll said an internal investigation was under way and the company was assisting police.

Newmont Asia Pacific senior vice-president Tim Netscher said staff at Jundee were shocked and saddened by the tragedy.

"We offer our deepest sympathies to the man's family and friends," he said.

WorkSafe is also investigating the tragedy.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: A warning to all remote travellers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
Poor Bastard , Never leave the rig its easyer to see ,take extra food & water &for your sake tell somebody where you are going .
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline envee

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired !! grey nomading.
Re: A warning to all remote travellers
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
Woo, that is a bit scary. I go to Jundee on a monthly basis and have never really thought of it as a dangerous trip. It's normally only 1 1/2hrs or so for me from the mine I am based at but from next month I am being moved back to Kambalda and it will be more like 61/2hrs. Just goes to show that you definitely need to have plenty of water with you and a means of communication.
'14 Disco SE  '15 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

https://destinationpotatopoint.blogspot.com/