Author Topic: Insurance whilst camping  (Read 3273 times)

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
Insurance whilst camping
« on: January 24, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
Swaggers - how have you insured items like generators, camp fridges, tables, chairs etc whilst camped?

Easy enough to insure the camper, but what about insurance for the rest of your gear while you are camped?  Just been thinking about this alot recently due to camp areas being flooded when dam levels rise and wild weather (wind) taking out tarps and awnings etc.

Peanut

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: Insurance whilst camping
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:20:14 PM »
Hey Peanut2,

For anything of great expense, you can cover them "away from home" on your household insurance if not covered with CT.  As for general CT stuff like chairs and tables etc, this should be covered in your CT policy and you can UP the level covered.  Most standard policies would cover you for $500 - $1000.

We are with CIL and they have a good enough policy for us.

Kit_e
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:24:22 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »
Thanks Kit_e

We have a personal valuables, is this the same as away from home?

Each unspecified item is maximum of $1000 ea up to $5000.  My generator, waeco fridge are each worth more than than $1000.  So was interested whether anyone has managed to get a bundle for camping gear, whilst camping to cover everything.

Peanut

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
Thanks Kit_e

We have a personal valuables, is this the same as away from home?

Peanut

Depends on the insurer Peanut2 and always a good question to ask your insurer. 

My diamond ring is covered 'away from home' as it hardly leaves the finger and it's a personal valuable, but I also insure my camera and lenses and they aren't really personal, but I don't usually let them out of my sight (mostly around the neck).  It just means (on my policy) that if they aren't located on my household block of land (or in the house itself on some policies) that they will be covered for their full insured value which I have stated and have described intimately each item to them.  I can't cover my camera on the vehicle policy or the CT one (worth more than the maximum they allow) so I cover it with the household one.

Mobile phones and unfixed GPS's (ie not screwed down) usually aren't covered on any regular policy.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:21:30 AM »
VKS-737 are offering insurance through TCIS which covers camping equipment such as generators and fridges, and the cover is there even when the items are not secured.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline patty

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
We took out camper trailer insurance with NRMA and took out contents as well for the gennie, fridge, etc which they state have to be in the main tent to be covered.  The main insurance covers up to $1000.00 contents and you can take extra as we did.  Cost is about $25 per month.

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »
Our gear is covered by a combination of household cover, the tow vehicle and the Camper Trailer.  We have some specified items on each of our policies and the insurance companies look at those items and give us a quote for cover to suit.  Our Patrol and Camper each has all the extras listed, their model and serial numbers where applicable, photos of items installed, etc.  Lots of companies wont insure extras when they are worth more than 10% of the vehicle value but with some shopping around we have found cover for the lot.  The solar panels mounted on the CT and the Patrol are part of household insurance, insured for being out of the house, etc.  This came about as a recommendation from the insurance company so worth talking to them and seeking advice.  We even had to make a claim for a panel and we had no problems.
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
Camper with DGA......also covers $2,000 of misc gear and listed stuff like solar, fridge, genny.

:cheers:
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »

We are also insured with DGA and have an automatic $1000 (personnel gear) cover on contents plus another $4000 for extras (fridge, generator etc)

Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »
Some good info

Thanks

Peanut

crackacoldie

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »
Peanut,

We are with CIL aswell, adn were able to list individual items as contents on the camper policy, like the generator, fridges, cameras, laptops etc.  All other contents was cover by 2000 worht of contents cover included in the policy.

:cheers: Cracka