Author Topic: Murphy's Creek Escape camping ground  (Read 3510 times)

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
Murphy's Creek Escape camping ground
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »
All My Swaggers,

During the recent floods Peter and Lisa Souter who own the Murphy's Creek Escape Camping Ground have been working tirelessly alongside fellow Murphy's Creek locals and volunteers to help rebuild the township and lives of the people of Murphy's Creek who were devastated by a flash flood on Monday 10/01/11, despite having their own business wiped out by the flood.

Unfortunately several people lost their lives in this flash flood while others are still missing.  Everyone knows who hard it is in a small community when one person loses a life let alone several - the town is devastated.  This flash flood was so powerful it took away complete houses and only left the slab and carved a new landscape through Murphy's Creek, Postmans Ridge and Grantham.

A working bee has been organised by people who love using the camping ground on Australia day to try and help Peter and Lisa clear their camping ground and hopefully get back into business.

Details are in the attached PDF below this post or call Carl on 0434 736 950.

Thanks

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Murphy's Creek Escape camping ground
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
Also check out this post -  http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=10680.0

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
I've just posted this in the other thread, but I'll stick it here as well just in case. I'll update/delete this as soon as any more details come to hand - I certainly don't want to be seen as discouraging such a good venture, just more of a PSA for those that might be planning on attending:

===========================
I know nothing more than the following, but about an hour ago the QLD Police posted this on their (excellent) facebook site:

Queensland Police Service Police would like to advise motorists that Murphys Creek Road between Withcott and Mt Kynoch is closed to all traffic except for emergency service vehicles and local residents. Please seek an alternative route.
about an hour ago · LikeUnlike · Comment · View Feedback (27)

I've got no idea if it's just a temporary closure or a longer term thing. Given that the working bee being arranged is for tomorrow, this could potentially disrupt those plans if the road is still closed. I'll keep an eye on FB and let you know if it changes, but just thought I'd mention it here now, lest we have 200 well-meaning swaggers turn up at the highway turnoff tomorrow morning brandishing chainsaws, only to find that they can't get through.

Good on your Wartim for sorting out the working bee and publicising it here. I hope you get a great turnout.

Thanks
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
NOTE - The roads are open to people who are helping to rebuild the area.   

The roads have been closed since the event to keep the rubber neckers with their air-conditioned cars from driving around clogging up the roads which need to be used by the emergency services, tradespeople, transports and machinery required for the clean-up.

Anyone who wants to help call me on 0400 323 495 or meet us at the Withcott Pub at 6.30am.  We already have a tipper and bobcat from my work to help with the road, tree and debris clearing, however as we all know many hands make light work.

If you can bring chain saws, drag cahins, rakes, shovels, wheel bowers, wire cutters and nay construction toos and of course hats, gloves, heavy shoes or gum boots, insect repellant, sunscreen, water and a bite to eat (just like camping)

Cold refreshments will be provided at the end of the day.

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »
To comfirm the roads are open to genuine volunteers, please see the 'Thankyou' Letter at the end of this post from someone who lives at Murphy's Creek.  It does mention who I work for however the company I work for are only to happy to assist in anyway they can and have allowed us free use of the companies vehicles, including Utes, tipper and bobcat to assist those who have been devastated by this flash flood.

Sorry about the spelling in the earlier post I was a little disappointed in the post about the road closure, although I know Matto meant well.

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
The Australia Day working bee at Murphy's Creek Escape went well.  Many volunteers turned up with various machinery and tool items and made light work of the cleanup and clearing of new camp sites.  At the end of the day through tied eyes and bodies we were all amazed to see that we had made a difference to the area and are now looking forward to when the camp ground reopens very soon.

The landscape has changed for ever - there was once an area for 20 CT's down by the 5 m wide creek lined with trees and green grass.  This has all been taken away in the flash flood leaving a 65 m wide cannon with exposed virgin sandstone blocks (the block edges are still square as have never been eroded by water before) with sandy beaches and many swimming holes of various size and depth. 

The change is best described by the owners at http://www.murphyscreekescape.com.au/.  I also recommend that you give the owners a call on 4630 5353 to check when they will  open again which I believe will be real soon, I am sure they will be glad to see you.

I have attached some photos of the day and included a photo of a house which is not from this property however still part of the Murphy's Creek community in an attempt to show some of the power and devastation this flash flood has caused which has changed these communities forever.   Brisbane had 2 days notice before they were flooded however these Lockyer Valley communities had absolutely no warning what so ever of what was about to hit them in the afternoon on 10/01/2011.

Offline lov2getaway

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Windjana Gorge 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »
Good on you wartim for helping these poor people out and for keeping us updated  :cup:. We will be visiting for sure when it reopens.... can't wait to support this devastated area.
L2GA
2011 Camprite, 2011 Prado.

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »
That creek now is insane. I used to live in Murphy's Creek for 12 years, up until nearly 7 years ago, as the crow flies only about 2km's from them. Know the area like the back of my hand. We have a lot of friends in the area, thankfully all safe, but do know of distant friends that lost everything.
We battled bush fires at that camp ground about 9 or so years ago, 1 of my crews had a chopper water bomb them as they were in deep strife in there.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.