Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260967 times)

Offline maurerless

• Tent User
  • Don't take life seriously; no one gets out alive
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »
We ran into a couple at Cape LeGrand NP who had extra 'tie down points' sewn into their awning to keep it stable in high winds. They said the extra points helped.

Yes, it would help in wind, but my fault was that I only used one rope per pole and it was soft ground - hence the use of the two provided...

2010 Isuzu D-Max; Hard walled mobile swag, but still getting out there. :)

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2011, 07:04:17 AM »
Great tip re closing the door to set up - will try that one. Ours needs reseting as we have some saggieness happening ! At Yambuk last night with the cub - has been a great 2 weeks camping, Coffin Bay , Black water springs camp area a great spot , as was.
Geltwood and that free camp on the beach about 17kms north of Streaky Bay!!!

Work Monday :-[
Life is to short not to...............

Offline timneva

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado GXL and Cub CT
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 07:35:19 AM »
Yep, we're in for sure.

Here's our cub on the road last month........

Offline Droverlad

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
I have a 2008 off road Drover and have made many changers .One of the best was to prop the front two corners of the canvas on the inside with two 1000mm long tent poles (actualy half inch pipe with protective ends) and add a adjustable tent pole with appropriate ends  on both sides from the front tent bow back to the center tent bow. This allows me to push the back tent bow back a bit harder without the center tent bow bending in the middle. Results in a nice stright tent every time and as stated above doors should always be ziped up befor trying to set the tent.I havn't had time to introduce myself but like this site and the idear of the Cub Club maybe we could get together one day and compair campers.

Peter :worthles:

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »
Hi,

Weve just bought a 2002 CUB Drover. Will replace the lino on the inside of the back of hardfloor & then change BBQ to full slide out kitchen as per new CUB Drovers. I did want to change the 15 inch rims to 16 inch to match our 80 series but have 2 chnces of fitting especially with muddies on. Is anyone aware of a cost effective way around this at all? Currently runs leaf springs & shockies but I'm thinking only way around is to lift it to get the wheels to clear.
Any ideas would be great, its an awesome camper that probably doesn't need the 16inch rims but for ease when travelling outback would prefer 16inch all round.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 03:59:00 PM by moseyroc »
80 series TD & 2002 Cub Drover

UIZ733

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »
I have a 2008 off road Drover and have made many changers .One of the best was to prop the front two corners of the canvas on the inside with two 1000mm long tent poles (actualy half inch pipe with protective ends) and add a adjustable tent pole with appropriate ends  on both sides from the front tent bow back to the center tent bow. This allows me to push the back tent bow back a bit harder without the center tent bow bending in the middle. Results in a nice stright tent every time and as stated above doors should always be ziped up befor trying to set the tent.I havn't had time to introduce myself but like this site and the idear of the Cub Club maybe we could get together one day and compair campers.

I also would love to see some pictures of this improvement...please.
Regards P

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »
Hi Pete and welcome to Myswag and the Cubbers club. :cheers:
Cheers Glenn

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
I'd posted earlier about the swing away spare wheel holder. Went to the Van/Camp show at Batemans Bay on the weekend, & asked the Cub Rep about 'em. Seems they should be able to be fitted to our '04 - at $800 odd supplied only...think I'll speak to my local engineer  ;)

I have a 2008 off road Drover and have made many changers .One of the best was to prop the front two corners of the canvas on the inside with two 1000mm long tent poles (actualy half inch pipe with protective ends) and add a adjustable tent pole with appropriate ends  on both sides from the front tent bow back to the center tent bow. This allows me to push the back tent bow back a bit harder without the center tent bow bending in the middle. Results in a nice stright tent every time and as stated above doors should always be ziped up befor trying to set the tent.

Another for the pics, looks like you're now obligated to go camping ;D
Bob and Robyn

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2011, 10:15:40 PM »
We added wind power to our rig !!!!

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 06:20:20 AM »
We added wind power to our rig !!!!

Top mod Hargs  ;D
Get a couple of mice running in a wheel hooked up the the 'prop', & you'll save on fuel as well *lol*
Bob and Robyn

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2011, 08:22:42 AM »
Yeh...I thinks I've won " Mod of the month " with that one !!!!  ;D

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2011, 09:13:12 AM »
.... One of the best was to prop the front two corners of the canvas on the inside with two 1000mm long tent poles (actually half inch pipe with protective ends) and add a adjustable tent pole with appropriate ends  on both sides from the front tent bow back to the center tent bow. ....
Peter

Hi,

I was lucky to windup with a spare set of Cub tent poles, Cub supplied the wrong pole kit when I bought my Cub Escape, Cub later sent me the correct pole kit, and I now have some spares which I have put to use, two of the poles with with velcro on I cut shorter and put a plastic cap on the end and now use in each corner of the bed head to push up the front bow and make the front of the tent tight, It improves the shape of the tent and makes sure there is no sag above the bed head.

Ray 
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
Can that be retro fitted to a Tambo hargs? ;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
Hi,

I was lucky to windup with a spare set of Cub tent poles, Cub supplied the wrong pole kit when I bought my Cub Escape, Cub later sent me the correct pole kit, and I now have some spares which I have put to use, two of the poles with with velcro on I cut shorter and put a plastic cap on the end and now use in each corner of the bed head to push up the front bow and make the front of the tent tight, It improves the shape of the tent and makes sure there is no sag above the bed head.

Ray 
I could of done with a spare set. :'(
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Droverlad

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »
Hi All,

After the first time my awning blow over the top of my camper trailer I got rid of the nylon clips and replaced them with eye holes. I just flattend about 50mm each end, rounded off the ends and drilled a hole in each end big enough to go over the thread on the tent poles and they are held down with the wing nuts. I still tie down in heavy winds and it is a bit more fiddle to erect but once up it don't move and I sleep better knowing it will still be there in the morning on windy nights. Older Cub Trailers used the eye holes but I guess the nylon clips were seen to be much more easy. I also found the velcro on the spreaders came off the very first time I packed up my camper. The velcro was just pop riverted into the plastic protective ends and had no strength at all. It was easy for me to fix as I have the tools it just required a small washer on the inside befor riverting. I sent Cub an e-mail at the time but got no reply. I wonder if they are still doing it that way?

Peter

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2011, 01:40:42 PM »
Mystq, I can't see why not ............you go for it

Has any cub owers purchased end walls on their own from cub .....if so, how much were they ?
As the Cub Brumby has an extra long awning can you get a short type wall to attach to the awning to trailer bit too ?? near the pull out kitchen ?

Yes I will ring Cub and ask but I get such great help from here that I thought I'd ask first.

Offline Pat Callinan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »
Sweet thread.
I don't have a CUB in the shed at the mo, cause the nice folks at CUB like to sling me new models every once in a while... But while we're talkin CUB, here's where I've taken em - without a single breakdown I might add...
Canning, Simmo, Tassie, Tanami, Kakadu, Litchfield, Outback Qld, Corner Country, Blue Mts, Nullarbor, Esperance, Kimberley, Pilbara to Perth. They even hitched a ride on the Ghan and Indian Pacific...
Go the Aussie made campers!

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
G/day Pat
Im a cub owner done a few ks without a problem
well said  go aussie made
 :cheers: sheeds

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »

Interesting about CUB. They had a big decision to make. Change production methods (and space restrictions) to increase output to remain  competitive, or possibly go offshore.

Going offshore would probably be the 'easier' route.  They chose to stay in Australia, large/huge financial outlay, larger premises and higher output. They wished to stay totally Australian made and are rightly proud of it (they really are).

Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline Droverlad

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »
Hi Pat.

What were YOU doing in the Simmo with a trailer? Not good PR. Looking forward to your new TV show.

Peter

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
We love our Cub, but got a quote today to change the slide out BBQ on our 2002 Drover to convert to the current kitchen set-up on new drover, cost was $2390 for kitchen plus $490 for the pantry. Can anyone recommend a supplier/site for the slide out kitchens. We would like to compare quotes as this seems a bit exxy. Theres a heap of space to use & as much as we love the BBQ the full kitchen set-up is for us.
80 series TD & 2002 Cub Drover

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »
Mosetroc
If I had to change my kitchen pantry I would set it up similar to the Aussie swag, which has the pantry at the front and the stove sink at the rear and it then swings back against the camper, as our kitchen is in the way to get to the front of the trailer /extra gas fitting etc :cheers:
Grizzly

Offline old lux

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
hi we brought our cub spacevan back in 05 its a off road unit with a inside kitchen. since then we have added 12v power system (100amp deep cycle battery with solar charger and genset back up) 12v water pump and led lights. we removed the 3 way fridge after we had 2 failed on us and now have a 80lt waeco. after nearly 7 years we have only just had the zipper replaced. our van has done many outback trips including some that were never intened to take campers but the cub has never let us down (only the fridge but that not a cub part)
Such Is Life

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2011, 03:02:40 PM »
On a mid year trip from Melbourne to Broome via the Tanami, then along the GGR to Wyndhan and Darwin, then home via Alice and the Finke and Oodnadatta Tracks, the only problem I had was the loss of brakes on the right side.  Upon arriving home I discovered the brake magnets on both sides had self destructed and the right hand one had actually parted company with the lever and 12v wire.  The off road magnets with the nylon bush would probably cope better with the water, dust and corrugations.  Otherwise the Cub performed well (and I pushed it pretty hard).  Cheers.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline pajnmaj

• "We grow old if we don't go camping"
  • Tent User
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
Hey Cubbers,

Have a Spacevan 09 offroad and was wondering if anybody has a cover for their cub and what brand it is and where did they source it from. Unfortunately we are not lucky enough to have our cub undercover and would like to source a cover, but have found none accomadate the height of the spacevans.

Cheers.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Off to do more camping we go.