Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 5516 times)

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
Greetings!
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »
Hi all

Another Sydneysider...Been lurking  for a while as I try to sort out our next steps.

We are primarily a tent based family of 5 and the car has started to stuggle to hold all our stuff  :) A recent trip from Sydney to Fraser also highlighted issues with our set-up for touring based travelling. Daily set up and playing tetris with all our gear gets very wearing. We prefer free camping/bushcamping/NP's over the Big4 style. Something about cooking on an open fire outdoors that just can't be beat.  Though our kids do love a good jumping pillow.

Currently have an oztent rv5 & tagalong, but are thinking about CT or a decent 4x4 trailer that could become a CT as funds permit. So have been checking out the myswag classifieds, but budget is only 5-6K. We are happy to start slow and build up.

Until then I'll keep leaching ideas off the site.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »
Welcome to the site.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline RallyDog

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
Welcome to myswag  tk421.

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »
G'day and welcome to myswag.  Glad you could join us.

Good luck with your decisions.  Lots of helpful folks on here happy to answer your questions.

Happy camping
KB

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »
Thanks all

There's certainly a lot of decisions to be made. And the more I read this site the more choices there appear to be. It was so much easier when it was just us and a mattress in the back of the landcruiser. Wife says caravan's and poptops "Are not camping!" so that's narrowed the choice somewhat.  LOL

(I do quite like the idea of a Cub hardfloor for us and chucking the kids in the Oztent though)
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
Welcome to Myswag.
Not been here long myself but they seem to be friendly bunch ;D

We're just making the leap from tent camping to camper trailers and have just put down a deposit on a Cub Supamatic.
The Supamatic is a little bigger than many hard floor campers, both width and length. It would potentially make quite a good base for a family.
The kids could sleep in their tent and leave you in relative peace inside, or if the weather is really bad then all 3 kids could sleep on the camper floor as it's big enough.

If you're looking at buying new then they are based in North Rocks and they are great guys are great to deal with.
There are also plenty available on the second hand market as well.

Good luck with the decision.
It only took us about 3 years to decide, though the arrival of our daughter part way through meant we had to had to start over.

2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
Welcome to Myswag,

If you have ever wondered what the surf looks like and would like to meet lots of fellow MySwaggers, get ya backside to the 2015 Nat Meet at Rainbow Beach.
Check it out in the Trips, Tracks, Touring and Reports section. Towards the top of the page
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline speedhump

• Tent User
  • Going places ... others dream!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »

Welcome Tk421
Speedhump
Speedhump
2013 triton 4WD dual cab
2016 New Age Wallaby Caravan
4.55m Makocraft runabout & Quintrex 350 cartopper
Our Blog: chezzastravels.wordpress.com

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »
Welcome tk421,

enjoy your camping while you sort through the maze of campers available.

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:11:09 PM »
G'day TK421 and welcome to Myswag.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum TK

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
Cheers everyone what a friendly bunch you seem- got a lot of ideas so far.

Would love to come to the Nat Meet, but will be in Tassie then. I did stay at Rainbow Waters in Sept this year on my way to Fraser. The open camping area looks great, and the sunset views over the river are beautiful. Put up your feet and have a few sundowners. Perfect

scarpsD40

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »

Cheers everyone what a friendly bunch you seem
do you know the song Hotel California?
(Creepy evil vampire laugh!)
Wa hahaha Wa hahahahaha

Nah seriously, welcome, great to have you on board myswag. We don't bite!

Wa hahahahaha Wa hahahaha:-)

Offline Trailer Bloke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • You never know what's around the corner
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
Welcome mate good luck on the search plenty of new import CTs around for 5 to $6000 most are a good place to start.
Cheers Jon
Toyota Kluger towing a Ezytrail Tarwin http://gallery.myswag.org/gallery/v/Trailer+Bloke/

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »

We're just making the leap from tent camping to camper trailers and have just put down a deposit on a Cub Supamatic.
The Supamatic is a little bigger than many hard floor campers, both width and length. It would potentially make quite a good base for a family.
The kids could sleep in their tent and leave you in relative peace inside, or if the weather is really bad then all 3 kids could sleep on the camper floor as it's big enough.
Yeah - like the CUB's but on one wage they're a bit beyond our reach at the moment. Maybe we can put it on the never never...

Welcome mate good luck on the search plenty of new import CTs around for 5 to $6000 most are a good place to start.

Thanks - its a bit overwhelming TBH.  Leaning towards second hand Aussie built at the moment.  Some of the imports I've seen shouldn't be on the road. There's a Sydney trailer manufacturer I looked at who do CT's as a sideline and who are getting out of the CT market because they can't compete on price with the Chinese imports.

That's not to say all Chinese imports are bad quality. We all use Chinese made iPhones right?

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 04:18:17 PM »
Keep an eye on the classifieds as there are always second hand cub's coming up, many in great condition.
Just have a look around at some new ones and work out roughly what model you're after then keep an eye out for it second hand. You could even tell the guys from Cub what you're after as they get second hand ones coming back part-ex for new ones all the time.
One advantage of Cub (at least for us in Sydney) is they are made here. That means if the one you find second hand doesn't have everything you want, you can easily go back to Cub to add features down the track once you've saved up a few more pennies.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline Cage

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camel Beachcomber
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
Welcome from another newbie.

I was in the same position as you a couple of months back, looking at second hand oz-made stuff, the new imported/knocked-up-local stuff and was investigating the cost of getting a trailer made up to my specs and having a local canvas tent made to suit.

My best advice is to get to a caravan/camper trailer expo and look at all the offerings. Even though you are not in the 'new' market you will soon get an idea of the quality of the imported offerings. It was an eye-opener for me as I came away needing band-aids for the nicks I got from the poor finish on a lot of the 'made/assembled in Australia' stuff.

I got down to the three locally built jobs that I could actually inspect, from Customline, Johnno's and Camel. They were pretty comparable, but I was offered a deal on a demo Camel Beachcomber that was too good to refuse.

It's not perfect. but after crawling all over and under it I'm pretty happy that I got a damn good camper that will go anywhere that my Triton will.

Good luck with your deliberations.
Triton GLX+ with some mods
Camel Beachcomber
Itchy Feet