Author Topic: Greetings.  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Wezza

• Tent User
Greetings.
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:30:55 PM »
G'day all,

I have been lurking for a few weeks now.

My name is Wez (or Wezza or Wezzo or Wezley or Westerlies or Wezzy or 'Wez not Was'.) I live in Brisbane, am married and have a 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old kids.  I am an electrician by trade currently working as an electrical estimator.

My wife and I both grew up in camping / caravanning families and enjoy getting away from it all, we haven't been camping properly since the kids were born, so now think it is a good time to start again as they are at a good age to learn about the great outdoors.

We currently use a large family tent for camping but are looking to upgrade to a soft floor camper trailer as we have outgrown the tent / ute only option.

We have been looking for a camper trailer for few weeks now, visited a number of showrooms and attended a caravan and camping show, started looking at the cheaper models, gradually worked our way up to where we are now and have now shortlisted to two:  Lifestyle Extenda and the Customline Adventure, both with a few add-ons.  Have heard and read good things about both.  Just a matter now of deciding which fits our needs the most and what extras we can squeeze into the budget.  Happy to hear any opinions - either good or bad.

Have been poking around the site reading about all the modifications.....I am keen to get a 12V lighting setup happening (really like the led strip / heat shrink / conduit versions - cant remember which post it was in now),  also would be keen to steal borrow learn more about Malcolm Tugless' pantry box design.

Anyway, I am sure I will get some further valuable info here, its a great resource.

TLDR version: Name - Wez, new here, looking to buy a camper.

Cheers

Wez

KingBilly

Re: Greetings.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
Welcome to the tribe Wez.  We love our Customline.  Have a gander at my mod thread (see sig block).  Have a few more to do.

Happy camping
KB

Marschy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:46:34 PM »
Hello Wez (or Wezza or Wezzo or Wezley or Westerlies or Wezzy or 'Wez not Was'.)

My camper thread has some info on building 12 volt LEDs using conduit.

Cheers, Marschy

Electrifying my Ezytrail

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum Wez. I like Malcolm's pantry box as well. Nice piece of kit.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
Welcome to MySwag Wez, sounds as though the decision is close. Good luck on your choice, heaps of info available, just ask away

GG

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 06:56:13 AM »
G'day Wez & family,

To Myswag,
Yep, there is plenty of great info here to help you guys get the most out of your setup.
Pictures, we'll want to see pictures when you get it setup too.
Hope you enjoy your time here.
Happy & Safe travels.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »
Wez [and all of your alter ego's], Welcome to The Show mate. I'm sure you will enjoy the ride.

Both of your selections are quality products, just be happy & get out there!

Regards

Hem [aka HEM19X, hemi, hemster, roids & a$$hole to my friends - as a matter of fact, call me anything EXCEPT late for lunch] 
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Wezza

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 08:21:57 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.  Cant wait to get it happening now.

Marschy, that's the thread i was referring to.  The simplicity and practicality works well for me.

King Billy, some great mods there, I need to investigate further. 

I don't really like the checker plate stone guard that Lifestyle offer, plus only have a towball weight of 100kgs on the Triton, so will need to find someone to fabricate one.

Couple things that I am still pondering over (apologies if they are answered elsewhere in the forum)

Build quality of each? - seem comparable to me (well as far as I can tell), but have been advised that Lifestyle use some additional imported components compared to Customline and that Lifestyle tents (on the Extenda) use Australian Canvas but are sewn in China.

After sales and warranty repairs - any good or bad experiences?

Cheers

Wezza

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »
Welcome Wezza,

Good luck with your search to find a CT.
Our Lifestyle has been fantastic but we did have a few minor cosmetic (tent Floor) problems which were fixed no problems.
We cannot fault the build quality which is why we went for the Lifestyle CT.
I'm sure if you do your home work you will be happy with whatever brand you buy as both companies have good reputations.

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline happylife

• Learning the Ropes
  • we like rugged on a budget
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:29:30 AM »

Build quality of each? - seem comparable to me (well as far as I can tell), but have been advised that Lifestyle use some additional imported components compared to Customline and that Lifestyle tents (on the Extenda) use Australian Canvas but are sewn in China.
wot the heck.. fair dinkum they ship it to be sewn over there Im stunned and amazed!

welcome to the best site on the net brother. I hope you get what you wish for; with a solid trailer and your electrical skills you can attach pretty well every thing sold on Ebay... go Weza! :cup:
Mick & Helen; we own a GIC Australian manufactured Off Road Trailer with imported 25 m2 tent

Offline Wezza

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 09:33:21 AM »
wot the heck.. fair dinkum they ship it to be sewn over there Im stunned and amazed!

welcome to the best site on the net brother. I hope you get what you wish for; with a solid trailer and your electrical skills you can attach pretty well every thing sold on Ebay... go Weza! :cup:

Cheers.  I am not sure if the advice is correct as it wasn't from Lifestyle.  Could ask them direct I suppose.

EDIT: Note, although I like to support Aussie made where practical and possible, it isn't a deal breaker
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:39:39 AM by Wezza »

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »
G'day Wez and welcome to Myswag.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
Greetings.
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »
Hi Wez and welcome to the Forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline Wezza

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 06:31:41 AM »
Decision made.

Lifestyle Extenda.  Was a tough choice but Lifestyle met our needs slightly better.  Deposit to be paid today.

Extras / Upgrades

Aluminium Front Boot/Storage Box - High Top Lid and Lockable Pole Holder
Off Road Hitch - Hyland Coupling   
Left Hand and Right Hand Rear Security Doors
12V System with 3 x 12v Outlets and Dual Battery Tray
High Tonneau
12' Tent
Full annexe screens and walls
Spreader bar kit
Annex Floor

Choose to get the 12' Tent rather than the drawbar room zips.  Does anyone have knowledge of any issues with 12' tents and campsite sizes?  Footprint with the annex roof up is 6 metres x 5.4 metres (with a 10' tent 6 metres x 4.8 metres)

Cant wait to get out there now........aiming for the first official trip to be the long weekend in October.

Cheers

Wezzo

KingBilly

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
Does anyone have knowledge of any issues with 12' tents and campsite sizes?  Footprint with the annex roof up is 6 metres x 5.4 metres (with a 10' tent 6 metres x 4.8 metres)

Firstly congratulations on the purchase.  They are a good CT and from all I have read, a good company to deal with.

We have a 12' tent and have never had a problem at a CP with fitting on a site.  I have challenged some posts on here saying big tents have problems but despite all the "urban legends" surrounding this perceived issue, only two CPs have ever been named as having sites too small for a 12' tent.  And for one of those CPs, it was only their waterfront sites.  You shouldn't have a problem but I always check first if booking ahead.  You never know there could be more CPs that I haven't been told about.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Wezza

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »
Firstly congratulations on the purchase.  They are a good CT and from all I have read, a good company to deal with.

We have a 12' tent and have never had a problem at a CP with fitting on a site.  I have challenged some posts on here saying big tents have problems but despite all the "urban legends" surrounding this perceived issue, only two CPs have ever been named as having sites too small for a 12' tent.  And for one of those CPs, it was only their waterfront sites.  You shouldn't have a problem but I always check first if booking ahead.  You never know there could be more CPs that I haven't been told about.

Happy camping
KB

Cheers KB,

We would always advise our footprint in advance and if it was just a last minute overnighter, could probably get away with it at most places without putting the awning up.

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
Welcome and congrats,  Darren from lifestyle has always looked after me with service after the purchase.  And as a warning the trailer is 7m long not 6m.  1.6m drawbar, 3.0 tent and 2.4 annex. But they still fit in most cp. we love ours we only went the. 10 ft tent with three kids and they fit beta bit more space in the 12 ft would of helped n the rain
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Wezza

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
Thanks Garfish,

Seems the overall measurement is wrong on the image I was looking at.

Offline Talawana5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 12:07:08 AM »
Welcome Wezza and family to a great forum

Cheers

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »
Hi Wezza
Welcome to what I think of as the wonderful MySwag family.  Friendly people and great advice.
Regards
Tjupurula