Author Topic: Front fold vs rear fold  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
Front fold vs rear fold
« on: September 23, 2018, 05:04:02 PM »
Looking to get my first camper trailer.
 Just looking at peoples real experiance and views

Has anyone bought a rear fold and wish they got a front fold or vice versa

Both seem like they have there advantages

Cheers

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
Re: Front fold vs rear fold
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »
Mate,

We had a Modcon FF, loved it. The best thing about it, apart from being an awesome CT, was that it's footprint didn't change when you set up.. In other words, if you could park it somewhere, you could sleep in it.

Good luck with everything,

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
My thoughts are 2 people, I'd go forward normally have kids along, I'd go a rear fold.
Buying 2nd had, I'd probably go rearfold as they aren't as "popular" so you can get a better deal. Buying new probably go a forward fold.

But don't have either.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »
Only thing to take into account with front fold is due to the design most seem to have very high ball weights that are beyond most small to medium SUV / 4WD vehicles
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 09:18:48 AM »
Quote from: tryagain
My thoughts are 2 people, I'd go forward normally have kids along, I'd go a rear fold.
to be honest, if I was doing it with young kids again I'd go a caravan.

Buying 2nd had, I'd probably go rearfold
agree.

as they aren't as "popular" so you can get a better deal
dunno bout that :) Quality units still seem to be holding their $ fairly well.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
I really wanted to like a forward fold but ended up with a rear fold again for a number of reasons.

Inside storage - under the bed for clothes etc, in drawers, no bags - happy wife. On bed - solar panels, tables etc.
Inside mattress - proper one, with a topper - bed stays made, pillows stay too
Outside annexe - rear fold is bigger and that is where we live - no staircase right in the middle where everyone sits
Outside kitchen - much better laid out, at one end, again with nobody walking through it
Outside storage - one big gullwing box with space to fit what I want rather than numerous drawers
Outside storage - rear folds can have a large bag/box over the kitchen permanently for all the chairs, annexe, walls, pegs etc etc and don't need to be removed to unpack every time
Fridges - mine has swallowed a 110 evakool and could go bigger - FF's are very particular about fridge height
BBQ - in the kitchen and ready to go where you want it.
Annexe poles/canvas - forward folds pitch higher off the ground and need ladders. I do my rear fold off the ground - shorter people would need a ladder with a rear fold also
Drunk test - there is a flight of stairs to be negotiated in a FF...........

Rear fold bad points

Floor must be very clean before folding over your bed - I sweep and use a small tarp over the bed

Yes, a rear fold is longer on the ground when set up - forward folds would be better for overnighters in truck stops if that is your thing - we do plenty of overnighters touring, never had an issue, never stayed at a free truck stop either.

Kids beds - rear fold needs bunks or mats to be set up.

Invalid points

Only a forward fold can be set up on rough ground - not true. Rear fold have adjustable legs on the floor section. Any rougher than that and you won't be camping there anyway

Forward folds faster to set up - I don't think so

Forward folds are heavy on the ball - rear folds can be just as heavy.

This is just my perspective. Everybody is different and there is a reason why there are plenty of both in the market.