Author Topic: Treck to Perth  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Zippa92

• Learning the Ropes
Treck to Perth
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
Hi All,  ;D
New to this forum although I have been lurking for some time.
In the process of purchasing a Lifestyle Extenda camper trailer with some mods.
We are about to move back to Perth from Brisbane over 3 weeks with the CT, that is wife, and 4 yr old, nearly 3 yr and a 1 yr old, which is why we will have to take it slow.
I am looking forward to it, but the wife is sceptical because of the tin lids.
My plan is to drive for 4 to 5 hours most days, find a good spot and stay for a night sometimes 2 if it is a good place, we will also look at breaking the 4 to 5 hours with stops to let the tin lids run and explore for a bit.
We also have some friends and family to catch up along the way, which means stops in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Colac, and Adelaide.
Does anyone have a few places well worth stopping along the way.  We did do this drive in revers, from Perth to Brisbane 3 years ago so we did see a few places then.

Our tow vehicle is a 2007 NS Pajero.

I will post pics when we get the trailer, but it is still in the ordering stage as of today.

Cheers,
Mike

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: Treck to Perth
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
Welcome to MySwag Mike and family, sounds a great way to get to know your trailer and spend some quality time getting back to the West. Keep us updated on your travels

GG

Offline The Angry Chook

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
Once you get to WA go down from Norseman to Esperance and go along the south coast.
Esperance is magnificent. Best beaches in OZ (from what i am told about other beaches...). Albany is also beautiful, then Denmark, Walpole, across to augusta if you want or go through the Karri forest in Pemberton up to Nannup then onto Perth.

Offline Zippa92

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:15:39 AM »
H Chook,
Having grown up in WA I have been all through that area and as a tourist and for work, but my wife being a queenslander and though she has lived in Perth for a couple of years when we first got married has seem only a small part of it.  I till also depend on how the 3 little ones are travelling by the time we get across the nullabor, how close it is to Christmas, I have mentioned going this way already to the Mrs, but it may a case of doing it later, after settling back in.  I are thinking of doing more touring on this side, as it may be some time before getting back here with car and trailer.
Think I will have to start another thread as a bit of a picture travel blog.

Mike

Offline Zippa92

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »
Well the trailer has been ordered, deposit paid, Lifestyle extenda with 12V wiring, 12ft tent, fridge box set up, annexe walls and 16" muddies.
I also am looking at how to get a motorbike to Perth, to send over on  transport is over $1K. No one genuinely interested in buying it, Yamaha TMAX500.
I have found some motorbike carriers on ebay, that can be put into the tow hitch at the rear of the trailer, same as it would on the hitch of the car.
Talking to John and Darren, at Lifestyle, they are being very helpfull as to modifying it and the trailer to make it stronger by having 3 hitch points.

Need to find the best option and fast, as we have a delivery date of 27/10 at the moment.

Mike

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »
We can highly recommend the Eyre Peninsula as your last journey south before hitting the Nullarbor.  Some great places to camp, swim, fish and explore.  Lincoln National Park and Coffin Bay National Park are fabulous.  There is some info on our blog (link below).  Limestone coast up from Mt Gambier is good too.  Coorong NP has some good camping.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your camper.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 09:29:04 AM »
Hi Mike and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Zippa92

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »
Hi Stozz,
They are all noted, I think we went through some on the journey to brisbane 3 and half years ago.  Looking forward to more camping oriented trip this time.

Mike

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
When we drove Perth - Melb a few years ago we detoured down to Streaky bay in SA.  I would go there again just for the oysters ;D

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »
G'day & Welcome.

Wow, that is a big first trip. Will you get a chance to do a shake down before you head off?
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Zippa92

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
Hey BJ,
We actually drove from Perth to Brisbane 3 and a half years ago, but that was with 1 child of 10 months when we started, in our current Pajero but not camping.
This time with 3 kids under 4 and a half and taking 3 weeks, with the trailer.
We still have heaps of packing to do but are hoping to get away  for a few days at least as a test run before the main departure.

Cheers,
Mike

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »
First of all hello and welcome

With the family can i suggest maybe a different strategy. The missus and myself found the constant setup pack up tedius especially with soft floor campers and the pegging involved. To overcome this if your kids will stand it is to perhaps to one big day of 8 to 9 hours and then stay in each location for 2 nights

Granted it is just the 2 of us but we have found this to be a far better method and still continue this way even with the goldstream
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Zippa92

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
We reckon we might get about 5 hours a day out of them, with breaks for them to get out and run and play.
and then every few days stop for 2 or maybe 3 nights, especially if we can find a nice spot.

Mike