Matson
DownUnder
Gasmate
Companion
BushBoy
Aldi, the wonder fridge
Techni Ice
Kings

Author Topic: What Fridge do you use Poll.  (Read 265513 times)

Offline 86gav

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: What Fridge do you use Poll.
« Reply #350 on: August 19, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »
+1 for Ironman, picked up a 65L Dual zone today, so far it seems pretty good. Set it to -18 for the trip home (30mins) and it had alredy chilled to -4. Runs a Danfoss BD50 compressor and has a 5 Year worranty. Picked it up for $990 with a bag and wireless thermometer.

Cheers
Gav
08 GU CRD Auto
2013 Lifestyle Walkthru Delux

Offline Young Camping Family

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
We bought the Lumina (Aldi) 40L 3-way fridge a few of years ago (3?).  Total thumbs up from us.
Main reason we purchased it (apart from the $299 price) was the fact that we camp without power, so a gas fridge was our only hope of anything above an esky.  We used our esky the first weekend we camped as a family and the frozen milk containers with water lasted 3 days.  I also don't have a large fridge/freezer at home so preparing enough frozen solid blocks proved a problem, and the ice blocks took up too much valuable space.
We set up the Lumina on mains power 2 days before we go with any refrigerated bits that we are taking to get it down to temp, then just before we go we add all the frozen meat together to the rear left (we found this is where the ice develops on the bars).  Using this method we can keep the meat frozen for a week on the gas (the meat does slowly defrost over that time) which I think is pretty brilliant for a cheap fridge that gets accessed all the time while camping (family of 4).  I've not had luck keeping lettuce in it though because it freezes occasionally (especially overnight) because it is not thermostatically regulated.  Best part is you can add stubbies and cans of drinks daily and actually chill them without warming up everything else like an esky does, which means that you don't need a huge fridge/esky.  Space for us is always an issue.
Without a doubt one of the best camping purchases we've made.
I just need to get the 12V cord replaced because earlier this year I may have accidentally ripped it out of the car without unplugging it first... oops.

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #352 on: August 25, 2013, 05:37:33 PM »
I have a Waeco CF35 which I have had for years but it only really good for a freezer. It either just cools or freezes.  I have played with it heaps but with no luck to get it to Hoover anywhere 2 and 5 degrees but it either does -5 to -8 or 6 to 10.

I did purchase a Eclipse Engel 40lt today. Same guts as a normal engel but no temp gauge and plastic outside. For $35 I have a temp gauge which can be mounted anywhere and the fridge was oly $700 on special. Normally $800.

I use to have the 40lt Engels in all the last three trucks I've driven for my old boss. Can't fault them. The bloke that I help out on my days off has Engels too.
Don't complain! It could be worse, you could be six foot under or a brick of ashes!!
Our camper Barry - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31963.0

Offline Steinzy

• Tent User
  • 1980's Jayco Dove
    • LJ Hooker Mermaid Beach
« Reply #353 on: September 02, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
I have a engel 40l in the car, Electrolux in the jayco and have a evakool 70L fridge/ freezer for extra space.   Thermostat has been playing up on the engel....has anyone replace one before?
Steinzy

Offline iantz

• Swag User
« Reply #354 on: September 05, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
My last fridge died and I took the plunge and decided I'd buy a 60L Evakool Travelmate.  I'm picking it up tomorrow, and will be doing a test/write up on unboxing, power draw etc etc.  There doesn't seem to be much on them in terms of reviews that are unbiased.  So I decided to be a guinea pig... I'll post results in the electrical forum.
Too many trips on the to-do list, not enough time...

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #355 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:50 PM »
just bought an ebay special, brand Glacio.  ;D    hope it works.
Linda & Kristin
Prado & Aussie jay camper
Melbourne

Offline Burga

• Tent User
  • I need a job where I get paid to holiday
« Reply #356 on: October 24, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »
Have 1 x 45ltr engel and travel bag already thinking of getting a second fridge. Not sure if get same size or get one a bit bigger
MY16 GXL LC200 TTD Onyx Blue

Sold - 2013 Black GXL Prado

Offline Mrk

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #357 on: November 10, 2013, 09:59:15 AM »
just bought an ebay special, brand Glacio.  ;D    hope it works.

And how have you found this?

Offline mlbm79

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #358 on: January 12, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
Just purchased a 60 litre evacool to replace 50l waeco any one interested? which we use as a food fridge and we use a 40l waeco as drink fridge in the camper and a 14l engel which i use as a smoko fridge and a day fridge all have been very reliable hopefully evakool will be the same
cheers ben

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
Life is to short not to...............

Offline martyst

• Tent User
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2014, 03:52:14 PM »
We have got a Primus  65Lt  dual zone, swapped it thru work for a few RDOs accumulated. Very happy with it so far in that it can be 2 x freezers, 2 x fridges or fridge/freezer, was also impressed how you can shut down one side completely and run the other side by itself to save battery power not cooling both sides. And as a bonus it fits on a slide in the tray of  the camper. :D

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »
Aldi and Lumina need combining, they are the same fridge.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline xmongrelx

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #362 on: March 20, 2014, 09:17:42 AM »
Waco CF35 had it for ten years plus in the truck  and the camper.
Still works great except for the press button temp gauge starting to fail.
Stephen

Offline HuskyInAuz

• Swag User
« Reply #363 on: March 20, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
A response from a post on this thread from long time ago that was made, 'what's the point?'  There is a very useful organization with thousands of members called "SSCA, Seven Seas Cruising Association" and there is an Equipment List Survey compiled about every 3-5 years which the organization members contribute users experiences too.  The list entails hundreds of areas and rates reliability, service, prices, etc which folks use in purchasing decisions.  Like off-roaders, having a kit that fails offshore or off the road kilometers away from support or service can be trying or devastating.    Although it is marine cruising (sailing/boating) specific, I hope something similar is generated by consumers/clubs for land touring.   SSCA only assembles the information and distributes to the club members and is not liable..
Just a thought.
"Pressure makes diamonds" -- George S. Patton

2004 Nissan Patrol 4.2TD way too many mods, wish I had it here.. Dodge does okay though

2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie DRW (6.7LCummins  / 6sp Allison)

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #364 on: March 21, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
Looking at the Dobinsons (read: Ironman, Evakool IB50, Primus, Powertech/Jaycar) 50L at the moment - seem to be very well priced, and one of my mates is a Dobinsons dealer :)

I did have my sights set on an ARB 60L, but I can buy two Dobinson fridges for the price of one ARB, not to mention the 3 year component and 5 year Danfoss compressor warranty, vs 3 year on the ARB

Probably going to make my own tilt slide as well - can't really justify the $400+ that Dunn and Watson/Basha charge for 2 drawer slides, 2 gas struts and some angle!!
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Rokcam

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #365 on: March 21, 2014, 09:15:28 PM »
So much research, now just decide Drew, maybe you will have one for summer next year. I reckon net4x4 will help. Must say my ARB is great

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #366 on: March 21, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
LOL .. Thanks Cam.... :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Big Damo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I work only for the holidays
« Reply #367 on: April 04, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
Lucky enough that the wife talked me into getting 110 litre Everkool about a year ago.
Wouldn't fit in the boot so needed to buy a camper trailer to take the fridge any where.
How friggin lucky was that
 ;D

XR6 and Lifestyle Extenda Elite

Offline 2impulsiv

• Tent User
« Reply #368 on: April 06, 2014, 12:53:35 AM »
I've got two 40 litre gold Engels. We brought them around April last year and I only just un-boxed the second one a couple of weekends ago to run as a freezer while testing my power set up in the CT. I only brought two because I had just received my yearly bonus from work and couldn't decide on a combo or two separate units.

The first one I un-boxed is plugged in all year round and stores my amber delight. ;)

2012 GIC Extreme Off-Road Camping Trailer. Here!
2014 GXL Prado. Here!

Offline MrPlow.

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #369 on: April 11, 2014, 07:49:09 PM »
Have a CFX40 Waeco - bloody brilliant fridge (I was very sceptical about spending so much to start with, but I think it's worth every cent now - 30% discount helped ;))

Cant believe how quiet it is - had it next to my bed during our last camp out and i could barely hear it operating, and power consumption is very low.

Considering buy a second bigger one for the camper to act as a freezer.

Offline camperd4d

• Tent User
    • OVERALL MACHINE DEVELOPMENT
« Reply #370 on: April 15, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »
we are running an engel 60ltr combo,so far its been very good..

Offline 92HDJ80

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #371 on: April 20, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
Trusty Evakool, had it for about 8 years now. never had any problems at all.
92 80 Series Cruiser turbo diesel. Camper currently in building stage

Offline jimbodeluxe

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #372 on: April 21, 2014, 04:55:15 AM »
can't vote on tapatalk :(

generally, 31 ltr waeco w/- built in battery for food, 40 ltr technice esky for drinks, dirty old and repaired 25 ltr coleman for fish ..
..mi vida loca..

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #373 on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
For my personal kit, I use a 55lt Waeco Esky for weekends, (it helps when you have an icemaker) and I have a Waeco 35lt (I think?) absorption fridge on gas for when I'm going to be a while in the bush (this hasn't happened for a long time). On day road trips I use a Waeco thermoelectric bag that has a fan in it to circulate the cool air inside (I still can't get over how much better that model is with the fan than the ones without the fan!)

Personally, if I went for a compressor type, I would likely go for the cheapest around with the best warranty. Might happen yet ;)
Tim
IT and Graphics
2004 TD Hilux SR5 with double bed (aka. fibreglass roof-top tent)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #374 on: May 01, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
We have just recently given the 3 way Chescold 50lt & 3way 33 finch the flick after years of good service for a Fridgemate 60lt Fridge/Freezer(by Evakool).
This, with our 90lt 3way in the camper suits our needs now well.
Great for long stays, hooked up to the deep cycle batteries and solar panel of for over night stays plugged into the second battery in the cruiser.
Very happy with it  ;D
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)