Author Topic: Conqueror Campers  (Read 4099 times)

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
Conqueror Campers
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »
So I'm looking at upgrading from my soft floor to something a bit easier to setup and pack up. As we are looking at doing a long trip with slot of overnight stays. The cub escape was top of my list but after some further thought we think the less canvas the better.
I really like the conqueror UEV-490. We do like camping off the grid and it will get everywhere we want plus the setup time is minimal.
What I am interested in is are they suitable for a family?
Also is there another option that would suit the above needs (minimal canvas, easy setup, go anywhere and fit a family of 4). We did look at the lifestyles and modcon but didn't really like them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
Re: Conqueror Campers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
I liked the look of the Conquerors. My wife didn't.

There's a bit of mucking around in setting up and you have to move bedding around which was a bit of a turn off. I have also heard their latest ones had some pretty serious 240V issues.

If you've ruled out the Lifestyle ones (Breakaway/Iconn/Reconn) then there's a few others - Rhinomax, AOR, Complete Campsite, Noosa RV and then all the chinese versions - MDC, Black Series, Warrior etc

We ended up with a Lifestyle Reconn R2. Not perfect for everyone, but we are very chuffed so far

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 04:19:22 PM »
I liked the look of the Conquerors. My wife didn't.

There's a bit of mucking around in setting up and you have to move bedding around which was a bit of a turn off. I have also heard their latest ones had some pretty serious 240V issues.

If you've ruled out the Lifestyle ones (Breakaway/Iconn/Reconn) then there's a few others - Rhinomax, AOR, Complete Campsite, Noosa RV and then all the chinese versions - MDC, Black Series, Warrior etc

We ended up with a Lifestyle Reconn R2. Not perfect for everyone, but we are very chuffed so far

Aaron

Thanks Aaron

I will look in to those.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
Check out Trackabout explorer tourer. 3 minute set up. Bulletproof.

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:54:01 PM »
We have been looking at these. Similar requirements to you.

https://www.austrackcampers.com.au/product/tanami-x-15-hybrid-offroad-camper/
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »
Hey Mate,

My family and I are current UEV-490 owners and we couldn't be happier with the unit. (bought new 2018 model)

Setup effort depends on what you call effort. We just came back from cape york, 3 weeks constantly on the move, plenty of one nighters, not a problem. Sure, its not a van where you pull up at the camp spot, open the door and grab a beer from the fridge, but its not as onerous as Aaron makes it sound. From time of positioning the trailer, 15 mins to pull the front bed out and setup the annex.

We also travel with the main bed made up so the kids can climb straight in if we pull up late.

We are a family of 4, we all slept comfortably for the 3 weeks, never got wet, no dust in the cabin from the trip. the 490 towed beautifully behind us up the PDR.

As for the 240 v issue, this was resolved by a recall or there was a simple fix if you CBF with the recall. Plenty of info about it if you google it.

PM me if you want any info

Cheers

JD

Cheers

Justin

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 08:01:10 AM »
Hey Mate,

My family and I are current UEV-490 owners and we couldn't be happier with the unit. (bought new 2018 model)

Setup effort depends on what you call effort. We just came back from cape york, 3 weeks constantly on the move, plenty of one nighters, not a problem. Sure, its not a van where you pull up at the camp spot, open the door and grab a beer from the fridge, but its not as onerous as Aaron makes it sound. From time of positioning the trailer, 15 mins to pull the front bed out and setup the annex.

We also travel with the main bed made up so the kids can climb straight in if we pull up late.

We are a family of 4, we all slept comfortably for the 3 weeks, never got wet, no dust in the cabin from the trip. the 490 towed beautifully behind us up the PDR.

As for the 240 v issue, this was resolved by a recall or there was a simple fix if you CBF with the recall. Plenty of info about it if you google it.

Cheers

JD

I wasn't implying it was onerous, just that it does require extra work; its not ready to sleep in when you pull up. I looked at a few like this and ruled them out because of this, the extra canvas and that you can't have a dedicated sitting area without it affecting your sleeping area.

I'm glad you are happy with the trailer; lots of people are. At the end of the day that's all that matters!

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia
The following users thanked this post: 6knights

Offline rapid80

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 08:57:19 AM »
We sleep a family of 4 in our Pioneer Mitchell. During travel we slide the kids beds on top of the main bed. Setup and pack up without the awning takes 2 minutes. Open the camper and slide the 2 kids mattress on to the floor. It might be an issue if the weather was bad as there is no lounge like some forward fold or hybrid campers but we choose our holidays to suit good weather so haven't had a problem. It has half the canvas of a normal camper as the front walls and all the roof is solid.
92 80 Series Sahara Turbo Diesel
Pioneer Mitchell

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »

Hey Mate,

Cheers

JD

Thanks JD

When you say annex do you put a wall around the awning or just put it out?

2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »
Sorry, meant awning. Ive got a 270 degree  fox wing type of awning. Its unzip the cover and pull it around the trailer. Doesn't need poles or tie down unless its windy. I also have walls that attach to that awning if we need cover from wind or rain.

Coming form a soft floor camper, the awning doesn't provide as much cover as a soft floor annex / awning, but the speed and simplicity of the setup more than makes up for it.
Cheers

Justin

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 03:29:42 PM »
We sleep a family of 4 in our Pioneer Mitchell. During travel we slide the kids beds on top of the main bed. Setup and pack up without the awning takes 2 minutes. Open the camper and slide the 2 kids mattress on to the floor. It might be an issue if the weather was bad as there is no lounge like some forward fold or hybrid campers but we choose our holidays to suit good weather so haven't had a problem. It has half the canvas of a normal camper as the front walls and all the roof is solid.

rapid80

Cheers I do like the look of these and was interested in how they go with kids.
Thanks for the info.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 03:30:50 PM »
Sorry, meant awning. Ive got a 270 degree  fox wing type of awning. Its unzip the cover and pull it around the trailer. Doesn't need poles or tie down unless its windy. I also have walls that attach to that awning if we need cover from wind or rain.

Coming form a soft floor camper, the awning doesn't provide as much cover as a soft floor annex / awning, but the speed and simplicity of the setup more than makes up for it.

Thanks I was thinking that would be the case.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline Skinns

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
We also own a Conqueror, it is a Commander S and we have no issue with setting it up. We always leave the bed in the dining area set up as we sit outside while eating, so if we are knackered after a days travel it is just open the door and climb into bed. If we have any of our girls with us it only takes a couple of minutes to fold down the front bed and you have room for two more. So sleeping four is no problem at all, also no great drama setting up the awning after a bit of practice, we also set up a 3m x 3m gazebo with fly screens for preparing food and eating in, this works well for us.

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 08:49:09 PM »
Thanks I was thinking that would be the case.
Thanks for the feedback.

2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE