Author Topic: Hi all looking for recommendations around brisbane area  (Read 5214 times)

Offline Amhk

• Learning the Ropes
Hi all looking for recommendations around brisbane area
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
Hi all,

We are downgrading from our expanda 17.56-2 so we can put a pool in over winter. We are looking at spending about $12k including the fridge. At this stage we do like the walk through trailers. This is what we have on our wish list.
3 way fridge (dometic??)
Kitchen with stove top extra fold out length
Utility draw??
Slide out compartment draw for pantry, pots etc.
12v setup, charger, Andersen plug (we have batteries) with outlets and lights (led rope??)
12 foot wide side annex with fully enclosable front annex.
Tool box
Water tank
12v pump
Hot water system
Jerrycans and gas bottle holders
If buying new we'd probably delete the mattress and buy one from a bed shop.

Going from an expanda with a place for everything, the walk through storage area would give us a place to put some drawer units whdn teavelling and mount a tv (on an extendable pole)

We intend to use our trailer time to go to Fraser, moreton, straddie, double island etc. typically we get away about 8-10 weekends a year and then a 2 week holiday block.

It looks like the hybrid made lifestyle walkthru will come close to our budget are there any other companies we should look at? Especially those going to the Gold Coast show.

If there are any threads that are useful I would appreciate the links. There's so much info on here it's difficult to know where to start.

Thanks for your help
Andrea

Offline Vacation Campers

• Learning the Ropes
  • Vacation Campers
    • Vacation Campers
Re: Hi all looking for recommendations around brisbane area
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »
Where do I start - we owned a van as well and changed to a camper to have more versatility to where we could go.  Obviously we bought one of the companies as we liked the layout - and the quality.  The price range you are talking about will only get you an imported camper - our walkthrough starts higher than that and is without the fridge we sell as a package though so you get the main tent, fully enclosed annexe and kitchen as standard.  One strong bit of advice that I would give you is to stay away from the 12ft tent - they are notoriously harder to put up - pushing 12 foot of canvas on packup is heavy and some caravan sites will charge you double site fees because you are too wide.  We build a 9ft with straight walls so you feel you have a lot of room in the camper - to tell you the truth there is more room in a camper than in a van - this was part of the reason we changed. Why don't you come in and have a talk to us and we can explain the differences - no sales pressure but at least you will know what to look out for.  As for the mattress it's normally better to get one with the camper as they have a lower side than your standard mattress - we supply foam as standard but you can upgrade to a specially made innerspring if you want.  Have a look at our website at the Ovo - for the type of camping you mention you won't need the offroad heavy duty that we sell.  If you want any more advice give us a call 1300662261 or look at the webside www.vacationcampers.com.au
Vacation Campers - Virginia

http://www.vacationcampers.com.au/

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
One strong bit of advice that I would give you is to stay away from the 12ft tent - they are notoriously harder to put up - pushing 12 foot of canvas on packup is heavy and some caravan sites will charge you double site fees because you are too wide.

On a walkthrough, a 9' tent would be adequate.  But as for the above statement, I disagree.  When looking to purchase a CT, we approached Vacation Campers and were treated like fools for suggesting a 12' tent.  The man speaking to us pushed the "12 foot is too big" rubbish until we walked away.  We have never had a problem at a CP yet.  A 12' tent on a side fold is only 6M wide.  I haven't found a CP that doesn't have sites which are at least that wide, most are wider.  I'm not saying there aren't smaller sites, just that we have never had a problem.  Nor have two friends with similar sized CTs.  Hence why we were asking for a 12' and also why we knew we were being fed BS.

Also we have never had a problem putting the 12' tent up.  I can do it on my own with the broom method.  I grant you it will be a bit harder than a 9' but the extra space you get with the 12' far outweighs the bit of extra effort needed to set it up.

KB
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:00:13 PM by KingBilly »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
Quote from: KingBilly
  I haven't found a CP that doesn't have sites which are at least that wide, most are wider.  I'm not saying there aren't smaller sites, just that we have never had a problem.
Don't go to Big 4 in Renmark and ask for water front. But I agree in most cases. We have only struggled twice with the site size.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Armadillo & Customline Campers

• Tent User
  • Aussie Made, Aussie Owned, Aussie Tough.
    • Customline Camper Trailers
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
Welcome Andrea,
This is a great place to get infomation for just about anything.
Now for a little plug...... We have a new model just out, a walk up it is a little more than you want to spend, you can cheak it out here customline.com.au  (Adventure)
But you can always change a few things to drop the price......Plug over
Also we love pics here so don't forget.....
Happy camping
 :cheers:

Rod.....
www.customline.com.au
Rod@customline.com.au
www.armadillocampers.com.au
https://scontent-a-nrt.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10479144_653750608056996_765917182289645688_o.jpg

Offline Amhk

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »
Thanks for the welcome :)

We have had a camper with a 9' tent and we know we want/need the 12'

Thanks also for the links and advice greatly appreciated

Offline Turbojohn

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »
Only on a few of occasions have we had trouble fitting our 12foot ct onto a site. Just went back up to reception and was directed to another larger site. Maybe I was lucky.

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »
Hi Amhk and welcome to Myswag.
The best advise is to check out all the different sites on the web and then visit to look at the different options each has.
I am sure that if you don,t pressure yourself to buy quickly you will find what you want.
The other option would be to check out the used CT,s as you might also find a bargain that suits.
Best of luck and might see out in the great south east.

Rob C
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Amhk

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
Thanks rob,
John, we're mostly over van parks now but the ones we've been to have all had the large campers. We'll just remember to mention that when we're booking.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 06:17:45 AM »
Hi Andrea and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline crashbang

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
Hi Andrea & welcome to My Swag.  :cheers:
we camp regularly at Bigriggen, lots of room, good place to test all gear & plenty of place to site see
100 Series V8 Cruiser, Bull Bar, Lightbar,UHF, GPS, Anderson plug, Brake controller, winch, snorkel, Dual Batteries.
1998 NL, Pajero GLS Lux pack, 3500 petrol auto 2" lift, TJM Bull Bar, Spots, UHF, GPS, Anderson Plug with Redarc isolator, R Camera, Brake controller,LR tank, Snorkel

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
We have a 10ft tent and twice we have just fitted into the site we were assigned in a caravan park. Mind you we rarely stay in caravan parks.  Yes the park did have bigger spots we could have used, but they were crap spots out the back.

I had the option to upgrade when we bought out camper, but I’m personally happy with our tent size.

But everyone is different.

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
Go for a 10foot tent on a Walkthrough/Walkthru/Walkway/Extenda trailer. Considering your price point, below are my recommendations based on what we have, what we saw when shoppping around, and what my mates have purchased and similarly inspected/considered:

1. Lifestyle Extenda**
2. Customline Campers
3. Vacation Campers

I agree with the comments about a 12 foot on an Extenda. The floor space on a 10 foot of an Extenda is much more usable than an equivalent 12 foot on a non-Extenda.

Also consider putting the fridge in the walkway. Means its accessible while camping from inside the tent for overnight stops, or on longer stays pull it out under the annex in the kitchen.

**See the links in my sig below RE: our Lifestyle Extenda

Good luck.

Offline Trackabout Off Road Campers

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Trackabout Off Road Campers
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »
Well, hasn't this turned into a "Showroom floor" very quickly??? Welcome to MySwag Andrea, I'm sure you'll have a ball here  :cheers: Dave

www.trackabout.com.au

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 03:39:03 PM »
isn't the brisbane 4wd/camping show on in a fortnight............you could spend a day walking around comparing notes

KingBilly

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »
The floor space on a 10 foot of an Extenda is much more usable than an equivalent 12 foot on a non-Extenda.

Sorry, don't understand.  Care to explain  ???  By my maths they would both have almost equal area.

Thanks
KB

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »
Sorry, don't understand.  Care to explain  ???  By my maths they would both have almost equal area.

Thanks
KB

Yes, i'm sure it's a very similar m2/area if measured.. But as I wrote, I was talking about "usable space". In our tent we have two kids on single camp stretchers, plus the table that comes out of the walkway. Plus other random stuff on the floor. Although it might be the same m2, the squarer shape of the Extenda 10ft tent is more practical and easier to move around in with beds etc on the floor, than the same stuff in the more rectangular shape of a 12ft Explorer Lifestyle (my mate has one). The extra length on the trailer means the tent is just that bit wider between the doors, and therefore a more square shape in plan view, which in my opinion makes a lot of difference and makes the space much more practical to use.

My opinion of course.   :-*

KingBilly

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 08:05:09 AM »
Horses for courses I guess  :D  We have two jumbo sized stretchers down each side of our 12' tent and don't have any space problems.  In fact if the tent was 2' shorter there is no way we could easily get out the doors (near the trailer) with the stretchers down each side.  I guess the important thing is if it works for you, that's all that matters.

KB

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:12:39 AM »
True KB. It's not just the internals though. When camping with my 12ft mate I have found the shape of the 10ft tent easier to fit onto sites simply because of that extra 2ft. We're not Cvan park fans, but when we've had to, it's been a tight fit. In some instances, a 12ft would have been on or over the line for sure. Just something to consider and work around if a 12ft is what suits you. 

Hell on a bad day you'd take any tent that keeps the rain out, and then just sit back and enjoy being outdoors and alive!  :)

Offline Vacation Campers

• Learning the Ropes
  • Vacation Campers
    • Vacation Campers
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Unfortunately Vacation Campers won't be at the 4WD show - currently Theo and Pauline are at the Caulfield show.  Go and do your comparisons then come and see us at the factory and give us a chance to give you a competitive quote - we're open Saturdays 9 - 3.30 - come and see how our trailers are made and compare them to your shortlist.
Vacation Campers - Virginia

http://www.vacationcampers.com.au/

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »
If you need the 12 ft with an extenda then you need it, but what I did as I was going to get a 12 ft with the three kids but I set up one of the bedrooms which is 3 x3 (the same as the lifestyle) and it worked with the stretches we can access the stairs no dramas and still have room inside for a rainy day game of monopoly but if you need the room you need it. Good luck with the hunt, 
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪