Author Topic: Aspirational and highly addicted to getting out there in a CT! :-)  (Read 4215 times)

Offline deldridg

• Sleeping Bag User
Hey folks,

My name is David and we are camper-trailer-aholics...

...well, while we don't yet own one, we do have a very *unhealthy* obsession with the whole idea and my lovely wife is even in on it (prob more so than me)!  So we watch 4WD/camping DVDs after putting the kids to bed, read 4WD/camping mags before falling asleep to dreams of 4WDing with our new trailer soon!  Obsessed we are!

We are avid 4wders based in the north of Sydney and try to get out several times a month into the bush with our 2 little kids for our sanity and headspace away from the 'rat-race' - plus we think it's the best thing we can do for our children.  *No* electronic gadgets or movies - a full family immersion and endless wonderful experiences and adventures for them and they absolutely love it.   ;D

We're hot on the case of purchasing a CT (love the All Terrain Campers) to simplify the whole process of overnighting - also gives me an excuse to purchase some 'life critical' options for the fourby ('07 Pathy).

At the moment we're rationalising a home renovation and/or the purchase of a CT.  Our kids are 4mths and 2yrs and we think we'd be miles ahead as a family if we postpone renovations and go the camping route - better for our kids, for our sanity and in effect, is like adding a vast and varied bush setting to our house as a proxy to renovating!  Nice thought...

So hopefully we'll soon be true members of this forum and no doubt will cross paths with many of you and look forward to that!

Cheers,
Dave and family
17' All Terrain Campers CT towed by a 2007 Pathy ST-L, 2.5 TD, Steinbauer Chip, Bilstein shocks + Dobinson springs (2" lift) + PolyAir bags, 16x7 King steel rims, Cooper ST Maxx, ARB bar, X-Ray lights, 12,000lb Avenger winch, TJM bash plates. Time to go bush!!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Aspirational and highly addicted to getting out there in a CT! :-)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »
Welcome to myswag Dave and family, sounds like you'll fit in around here.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
G'day & Welcome David.

Look forward to reading more about your adventures. I'm also in north west Sydney, in fact there are lots of members in our region.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
G'day Dave and family,

To Myswag.
You and your kids will love it here, there are lots of families getting out there and amongst it each weekend.
Have a look through the Trips Section, if there isn't one that suits you, start one of your own, I'm sure others would be willing to tag along for the ride.
Hope you enjoy your time here.
Happy & Safe travels.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline 1HDT

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »
G'Day Dave,

Nice intro. Very articulate.

Anyway, welcome to MySwag.

1HDT

Offline deldridg

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
Hi again folks,

many thanks for the warm welcome and nice comments.  A standout characteristic of the types of places we visit - often in very remote locations - is both the charm and character of the people we meet there, whether they be locals or other visitors.  It's encouraging to join a forum where there is an immediate sense of the same amongst its members!

Please cross your fingers for us that we can find the right camper at the right place very soon and join you in a bush setting somewhere!

Cheers and thanks again,
David
17' All Terrain Campers CT towed by a 2007 Pathy ST-L, 2.5 TD, Steinbauer Chip, Bilstein shocks + Dobinson springs (2" lift) + PolyAir bags, 16x7 King steel rims, Cooper ST Maxx, ARB bar, X-Ray lights, 12,000lb Avenger winch, TJM bash plates. Time to go bush!!

Offline Mr Ploppy

• I Should Be Out Camping!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • Tier Gear
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:58:57 PM »
Welcome David. It is a good place to indulge in your unhealthy habit  ;D.
"When the deities are with you, you can cross the ocean on a plank. When they are against you, you can drown in a ditch".

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
welcome aboard......
I see u like ya All Terrain Camper Trailers
Well.... here is a link to my families... it might give u some ideas..feel free to shoot me a P.M. if u need any help with any  queries
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=18116.0

Offline deldridg

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:54:50 PM »
Cheers again.

Nice rig wholehog and thanks for the link - how envious are we??!!  Looks like the 17" Deluxe model?

We're in 2 minds about new or 2nd hand.  Would love new but with the options we want, it would be a big outlay for us at the moment.  Perhaps we'll find a decent pre-loved unit and do some work on it myself over time (starting by plagarising your great light installation!).

Reasons we like the ATC are the obvious build quality, the sky/moonlight over the bed (fantastic!), the lovely folk who now own ATC (we'd love to support them if the budget stretches) and the flexibility to head into low-range country and disappear up the Tanami or similar with confidence.  Canvas quality is important too - how good is the workmanship and material?  Beautiful.

Anyway - hopefully we won't have to wait too long.  Time to beef up the Pathy I reckon for its new role as a home transporter!  :-)

Cheers and thanks for the injection of enthusiasm!
Dave

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »
Thanks David
Ours in the 14 footer...with the extended awning we know have and the kids room there is a load of space..
I actually wasnt looking at the All Terrain at all when i stumbled across there dislpay at a show a couple of years ago( it began to por with rain so my son and i took refuge inside ;D)
I began listening to Glen giving his sales spiel to a potential customer and found myself nodding along and  i think he had me hooked from that day..
Looked at a few others and always came back to the All Terrain for all the reasons u have quoted above.....
Yes..the descion to buy a new or pre-loved is a hard choice..but ultimately u will get a camper for u and your family and get out there and do it.......
Friends of mine cannot justify the kind of coin that we have outlaid to go camping......
I say to them " ïf i have to explain it....You wouldnt understand"
See u in the bush :cheers:

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 06:47:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum David and family, looks like you know what you are after, good luck on the decision on new or used, enjoy your stay and join in the banter

GG

Offline Lisa1234

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
Hi David,

They say the family that camps together stays together. Ours are all grown up nearly so we have just bought our first off road CT. We will pick up our Mountain trail next week.  The wait has nearly killed us.

We have had many many memorable family trips all over as a family. They talk fondly of memories that no technology could ever replicate.

Keep up the good work. And enjoy the commentry here. It is very entertaining.
Nissan Pathfinder and Mountain trail  Camper Escape 2012

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
G'day David and Family.
Welcome to the forum. Nice intro too. :cup:
You will never regret getting the kids out camping mate.
Happy camper hunting

Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 05:07:56 AM »
Hi Dave and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Ricklanga

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »
G'day David and family, Welcome to the forum. I too have a lot of reno's to do on the house. It will happen one day but I would not like to wait 'till they're complete before getting my camper. It'd be a long wait & your kids will grow up fast. Go on, get the camper, the home reno will still be their next year  :cheers:

--
Richard.
2004 Pajero Exceed & 2012 Jayco Eagle Outback

It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.

Offline Wuzgonna

• Tent User
Aspirational and highly addicted to getting out there in a CT! :-)
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »
G'day, Dave and family,

Welcome aboard!

If you ever thought you were alone with your dreams and obsessions of all things camping and camper trailers then you were wrong!

You have found the real centre of the universe and there's plenty to read. I'd say you will be a myswag addict in no time!!!

Cheers and good luck finding you new trailer!!

Dave and family!
, The old rig gone but not forgotten...