Author Topic: Air Bags. The story is not over yet.  (Read 11074 times)

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Air Bags. The story is not over yet.
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:31:13 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Glennp

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Air Bags. The story is not over yet.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »
Concerning that it’s taken so long for vehicle manufacturers to look at their supply chain to work out where takata airbags were used. Unless it’s a conspiracy to not swamp dealers / replacement airbag manufacturers with recalls etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/39339910/up-to-a-million-more-cars-could-be-recalled-over-faulty-airbags/

More to come yet.

Motorists who may be concerned about their car can visit www.productsafety.gov.au, where a list of affected vehicles is displayed.
Also.
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/news/takata-airbag-recalls-affecting-australian-consumers

That is not the full list of cars, only the voluntary ones. To find out the full list you need to ring them or wait until the web site is updated in April.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
Not really clear for cars that have already been recalled- and they are on the list- are they required to be recalled again?   Or is once enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 04:25:02 AM »
So, if you were selling a car and getting your safety certificate, would a car pass or fail if the recall hasn't been rectified?

The next question of course, is....

Lets say, a car purchased a week ago, is involved in a prang and air bag injury or death occurs.
Is the person who checked off on the "Safety Cert" now in a situation where he can be sued, as the said car had faulty parts fitted.

The same would apply in NSW, you guys still have an annual check?

Unless the recall has been done with paperwork to prove it, i wouldn't be signing off on any roadworthy/safety certificates in a pink fit.
With the ambulance chasers always sniffing out a way to screw someone, its gunna happen.

Now its a national recall by the government, no-one can really plead ignorant in this situation anymore.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:17:50 AM by Jeepers Creepers »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 05:26:12 AM »
Had the drivers airbag changed a year ago and now have to book in for the passenger side. 2014 Pajero.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 07:44:18 AM »
So, if you were selling a car and getting your safety certificate, would a car pass or fail if the recall hasn't been rectified?

Lets say, a car purchased a week ago, is involved in a prang and air bag injury or death occurs.
Is the person who checked off on the "Safety Cert" now in a situation where he can be sued, as the said car had faulty parts fitted.

&, is the brand-new car that you bought a little while ago, now no longer "fit for purpose", so you're entitled to return it to dealer / manufacturer for refund or replacement ???

Takata itself has since gone broke & been taken over, but I can see the same thing continuing to happen, possibly even to some actual car manufacturers :'(
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:46:08 AM by Fizzie »
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 06:44:58 PM »
I'm glad we own 2 Suzuki's!
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »
Solve the Air Bag problem ,,,,, Don't run into anything that will trigger them  .
Easy as            ,                     :cup:                           :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 09:43:14 PM »
Only trouble is they use an explosive charge that is unstable. They can go off on their own in the right (or wrong) conditions.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 04:21:51 AM »
1 really good thing is the steel wire  mesh crates the units come make really handy storage boxes .Strong , with lids  , chrome plated  , stackable & free . What more could you want  ???                :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 06:09:38 AM »

The same would apply in NSW, you guys still have an annual check?

Unless the recall has been done with paperwork to prove it, i wouldn't be signing off on any roadworthy/safety certificates in a pink fit.
With the ambulance chasers always sniffing out a way to screw someone, its gunna happen.

Now its a national recall by the government, no-one can really plead ignorant in this situation anymore.

"These are the legal requirements for sellers, according to the ACCC

If a car has been recalled, dealerships and businesses are required to have had the airbags replaced before selling them second-hand (though consumers should still double-check themselves that this has taken place)
    If a private individual is selling a car that's been recalled, there are no such legal requirements — they don't need to have had the airbags replaced prior to selling, and nor do they need to disclose the fact that the car has been recalled

However, it's not just about legal obligations

Paul Turner, spokesperson for motorist organisation RACQ, said it's about ensuring "transparency between buyer and seller".

He says people trying to sell second-hand cars at the moment should be telling potential buyers whether they've received a recall notice and whether the airbags have been replaced.

And even if sellers haven't received a recall notice, they should still be telling potential buyers if the car is on the list of affected vehicles.

"If they've done that, they've probably fulfilled their obligation," Mr Turner said.

As a buyer, there are ways you can protect yourself

Mr Turner says this doesn't necessarily mean steering clear of potentially affected vehicles, especially since we're talking about millions of them.

"You would seriously limit your market at the moment," he said.

Instead, Mr Turner says you need to take the right steps to ensure you're informed.
Is your car on the list?

Find out if your car is part of the biggest recall in automotive history.

"The way to protect yourself is to get the Vehicle Identification Number — the VIN — of the vehicle you want to purchase, and check either directly with the manufacturer or the local dealership for that mark," Mr Turner said.

"That will tell you then whether that vehicle has already been in for the recall and had its airbag replaced."            :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »
Not really clear for cars that have already been recalled- and they are on the list- are they required to be recalled again?   Or is once enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When we had our Mazda 6 done, they actually installed the exact same airbag made by takata, but much newer of course. When I asked if they would need to be changed again when they get older, they admitted that it would be very likely.  Not particularly reassuring.....

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 11:49:35 AM »
Bit more here.
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/future-takata-airbag-recalls

Basically the massive size of the problem means some less than ideal fixes, with priority given to some cars.
Some cars here are on a "waiting list" to be added to the recall list.
Others have had replacement Takata bags, which in turn will again be recalled later.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
The ****up that never ends.

Major car manufacturers have raised the warning level for some models fitted with Takata airbags to "critical" after new assessments showed them to be even more dangerous than first believed.

The new warning affects about 20,000 Australian cars already under recall and comes from leading manufacturers including BMW, Holden, Honda, Mitsubishi and Toyota.

Major car manufacturers have raised Takata airbag warnings to "critical" for 20,000 Australian cars

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said none of the affected models should be driven.

The the urgent recall means drivers with affected models are entitled to have them towed to the dealership by the manufacturer and have the airbag replaced for free, said deputy ACCC chair Delia Rickard on Friday.

Affected models under the "critical" urgent recall include:

--   2010 Holden Cruze

--  Honda City MY2012, CR-V MY 2011, Insight MY2012-2013, Jazz MY2012-2014 & Jazz Hybrid MY2012-2013, Honda Civic MY2006-2011, Jazz Hybrid MY2012 and Legend MY2007-2012, Honda Accord MY2001-2007 and Honda MDX MY2003-2006.

--   2003 – 2005 Toyota Echo and Rav4

--    BMW 5 Series (E39) MY2002-2003, BMW 3 Series (E46) MY2001-2006 & BMW X5 (E53) MY2003

--    Mitsubishi 2014 ML & MN Triton.

Consumers can check whether their car is affected by visiting:

IsMyAirbagSafe.com.au and entering their state or territory and registration plate number, or by texting 0487 AIRBAG (247224) and following the prompts.

The vehicle manufacturer’s website and entering their VIN number in their recall database or by contacting them direct for information.
ProductSafety.gov.au and checking either the active or future recalls lists.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/should-not-be-driven-takata-airbag-danger-on-20-000-cars-critical-20191004-p52xou.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
If it's now become that critical, why aren't the various Transport Dept's simply going out to each registered owner & saying, "Show me that they've been changed - they haven't? Yellow tag & car is now off the road till they're done" ??? ::) >:D

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
If it's now become that critical, why aren't the various Transport Dept's simply going out to each registered owner & saying, "Show me that they've been changed - they haven't? Yellow tag & car is now off the road till they're done" ??? ::) >:D
maybe Takarta should be providing hire cars while people's cars are off the road awaiting repair!!
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 04:36:05 AM »
They went belly up, so can't see that happening.

I see they are saying to have the car towed in for replacement.

I;m sort of guessing, have a certain built number or dates proven to be worse that others?

Got me stuffed.... but i'm not very bright though either.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 07:29:42 AM »

In QLD you're not required to replace the airbags if the sale is private, but you are if you're a dealer selling the vehicle. At least that was my understanding 6mths ago when I looked into this when I bought my Patrol ute as it was affected by the recall - I replaced the airbags pretty well immediately after purchasing it.

Also? For anyone reading this thread who might be putting it off saying "I can't be without my car"... For starters, this is potentially your life we're talking about. Secondly, they did mine in like 30mins while I waited then I drove to work. It was more painless than any other maintenance I've ever had done on a vehicle anywhere.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 07:33:11 AM by trinityalyce »
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »
Quote from: trinityalyce
For starters, this is potentially your life we're talking about.
yea better ban all those 100,000's of cars built before airbags were invented... ::)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »
yea better ban all those 100,000's of cars built before airbags were invented... ::)

Ummm - how many of them are still on the road on a daily basis ???

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
Quote from: Fizzie
Ummm - how many of them are still on the road on a daily basis ???
What cars with no airbags - AU wide? 10's of thousands

edit:
rough figures 19 million cars on the road... fair chance Shit loads are in each camp

MEDIA RELEASE
29 July 2019   
Embargoed: 11.30 am (Canberra time)
https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mediareleasesbytitle/28861A19CCDB9441CA25753D001B59DA?OpenDocument   

Motor vehicle registrations slow down

The national fleet of registered motor vehicles increased by 1.7 per cent from last year to 19.5 million registered vehicles in 2019, according to newly released ABS Motor Vehicle Census data.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:58:52 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2019, 05:27:04 PM »

The last fatality that was in the news wasn't actually the impact of the head into the steering wheel that caused the fatality, it was the piece of metal that was fired by the airbag mechanism that severed his caratoid artery and spinal cord... That was the fatal deployment of the airbag that led to death, and yes, not having an airbag would have been safer.in that collision.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-23/faulty-takata-airbag-coroner-inquiry-death-cabramatta-man/11538628

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/man-who-died-in-airbag-malfunction-would-have-been-quadriplegic-if-he-survived-inquest-told-20190924-p52ucy.html (use private browsing to open)