Author Topic: Show me your Gear Trailers.  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
Show me your Gear Trailers.
« on: April 24, 2020, 03:58:12 PM »
Hi Swaggers,

Some of you may remember but we had our first son in Feb 19 and I'm still coming to terms with just how much stuff one tiny little boy needs to survive.....

I'm fairly confident the volume of the gear I need to take camping has almost doubled!?   :o :o 

I had thought and hoped that we'd be able to continue to camp out of our landcruiser - but I can see that will at times it will require more compromise on gear than I'm prepared to do.....

Plus, I do like the idea of having a trailer fully packed with my gear - only needing to throw food into the fridge and head off.

Obviously - for me.... Taking a camper trailer or caravan is out of the question - I'm also quite confident that I can get a more comfortable, flexible arrangement out of a gear trailer....   But I can see that the appeal of camper trailer is that they're off the shelf - ready to go.  No effort/thought needed.   

So I'm looking for Gear Trailer ideas and pics - so I can get inspired on making up something that will serve my little family into the future and enable quick, easy getaways.    Or of course if there are great Gear Trailer makers out there.... Keen to hear about them too.  It's incredible how many trailer makers there are out there!!

Show me your Gear Trailers please ! 

Enjoy your weekend all.

Kind Regards,

Jon
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Show me your Gear Trailers.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 04:43:29 PM »
Can I make a left of field suggestion, rather than thinking "trailer" think ute service body.  You will find a large number of versions of canopy fitouts that could be applied to a trailer particularly if you start out with nearly vertical sides and 3/4 large doors.

If you built the trailer so its strong enough to fit a roof rack, you could then, if you wanted, fit one of your roof top tents.  This would of course, not be a campertrailer  ;D

eg. the square tradesman type trailer https://austrailersqld.com.au/8x4-single-axle-tradesman-trailers

https://www.pinterest.com.au/zdslaugh/ute-canopy-ideas/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:51:55 PM by Alan Loy »

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
Agree with Alan, a trade type canopy on a 7x4 off-road trailer would be awesome. Keep a gazebo, water tanks, Jerry can etc in the trailer then just purely cooking/kitchen/sleeping gear inside the canopy.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 06:36:33 PM »
100% that's the direction I'm heading in.  You are right lots and lots of fantastic canopy setups to look at too.
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline ivan

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 07:34:23 PM »
Heaps on ebay, some cheap some a joke. Lick of paint, bit of advertising = tax deduction.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
G,Day mate .. Much easier for me / you this way ...Go to the my camper trailer  and my camper trailer build sections and type in the search box " Tradie trailer "  and " ute canopy trailer  " .. brings up heaps of the type of builds that you are thinking of ..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:57:20 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »
Hi Jon,  I kind of get why you would want a gear trailer rather than a camping trailer given your access to great camping gear.

I’ve thrown some photos of mine. I built this trailer around 1994 to cart my plumbing gear around. The logic being I could buy a dual cab for work, and come the weekend leave the trailer behind and cart the young family around. And come holiday time empty the trailer and pack the camping gear in it and off we go.

I don’t know how many kms it has done but would be in the hundreds of thousands of kms, including numerous outback travel both with camping gear and plumbing gear the lack of paint on the leading edges of the guards and front typify the dirt roads it has travelled.

Fundamentally it is just 2 steel tool boxes on a chassis, a open box at the front that fits jerry cans and gas bottles., a table slides (travels) up the middle and then sits on frames at the rear, and a roof rack to carry the original southern cross canvas tent, chairs etc. Inside the boxes sit a couple of ply boxes that can be slide along the trailer box length to enable access to the gear underneath. Nowadays it supports a roof tent.
I’ve thought of selling seen as we have a van now days or travel with swag in car but figure I have space in the shed and it is worth bugger all if sold.

( not sure why the last photo is rotated  it appears normal when loaded, and I can’t rotate?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:44:22 PM by rags »

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 09:15:10 PM »
PM sent Jon,  let me know if the link doesn't work
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline MB TD42

• Tent User
    • Retroform Carpentry and Joinery
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 07:32:00 AM »
I just used a 7x4 base with off-road spec filled with polyurethane tubs prepacked so I can just chuck em in and throw a tarp over the lot...put a waterproof box on the front for clothes/bedding and build stuff needing easy access but dry storage.
I can sleep 25L water containers to the sides and carry up to 100L if need be.
It's been everywhere...
Just starting on phase 2 of the build now after 6 or so years of use.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We're all hear coz we ain't all there...

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 08:12:25 AM »
When looking for the trailer an option is to get a 2nd hand camper trailer and convert the top to a canopy.  Good quality off road soft floor campers are available for a cheap price as they are no longer fashionable.  You will normally not only a tough trailer but extras such as water tanks, fridge slides, 12 volt systems and slide out kitchens.  My personal pick is a rear fold as the kitchen comes out the side and can easily form the hub of the camp with tent/s erected around it.

An example, just remove bed and canvas top https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/items/details/2002-camel-group-bushman/SSE-AD-6006132/?Cr=1
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:20:42 AM by Alan Loy »

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »
This is my build, it’s an off-road flat deck trailer with a lift off twin cab Ute canopy. I can basically add food, clothes and beer and go!

Kitchen is pretty well equipped with 40 lt fridge drawer, sink, twin burner stove, Joolca HWS, 65 litre water tank, Travel Buddy oven, pull out table and plenty of storage.

Under tray storage for my RV4 Oztent, poles, shovel etc.

Driver side is bulk storage, normally have my Jet tent bunker, three swags, 28 l Waeco , chem toilet in the space case, tables, snow peak fire pit and table.. we’ve been having a few fires in the backyard, so a bit of gear isn’t in the trailer..

Also fitted with a Drifta 270 degree square back awning and a swing out en-suite tent.

As always it’s a work in progress!

Cheers Josh

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 11:50:41 AM »
Kitchen

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 11:55:16 AM »
Kitchen set up!

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 11:56:57 AM »
Drivers Side.. a bit empty currently from backyard camping..

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 12:29:49 PM »
Kitchen set up!
Mate that kitchen idea is brilliant.
I especially like how you’ve followed the lines of the headboard with the slide out. Awesome.

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 01:12:32 PM »
Thanks Pete, I’ve still got to make an overhead cabinet to go on the slide out as well.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »
A mate has something very similar, but on his truck . Used daily as a trade box till he wants to go away ..   Has internal bed deck  / storage underneath, built in solar 12v power / water, magnetic flyscreens for the doors when open / can be jacked off the truck and used as a stand alone camper ..
Modded your pic to give the idea.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 01:23:20 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline MB TD42

• Tent User
    • Retroform Carpentry and Joinery
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 06:18:54 PM »
Is Finchy still on ere?...I thought he built something similar with a realise back canopy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We're all hear coz we ain't all there...