Author Topic: Bloody batteries  (Read 3625 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Bloody batteries
« on: April 21, 2020, 04:21:50 PM »
I have a 200 Series with dual starter batteries, which were replaced last August. It also has a deep cycle auxiliary under the bonnet fed by an ARB dual battery kit plus a 200 watt solar panel on the roof.

It's been four days since it was last driven and I came out this morning to find all three batteries flat as a tack. The starters were showing 5 volts and the auxiliary 2.5 volts. The solar regulator is showing nothing; it was dark.

I put it onto a charger for six hours and got the starters up to 12 volts. I didn't want to run a cable out across the public footpath, which sees a lot of traffic. So I used the solar powered inverter on the Glamper, which showed the van batteries at 100% just now.

Then I put a battery jump pack on and switched the charger over to START mode. It started first go and the plan is to run it on  a fast idle for the next couple of hours. I can't take it out on the road because it's currently parked in. It's charging at 13.6 volts instead of the usual 14.1-14.2 when the battery is a bit low.

The only explanation I can think of is that one of the starter batteries has shorted out and flattened its partner. Then the VSR on the auxiliary must have opened and flattened that too. Dunno about the solar.

So it's off to the auto sparky who sold me the batteries tomorrow morning to see what the problem is. In the meantime, I'd appreciate and opinions from wiser heads than mine.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:27:25 PM by KeithB »
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
Re: Bloody batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »
What loads are on the batteries?
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 06:38:42 PM »
What loads are on the batteries?
No loads at the moment as the fridge is out of the vehicle. Just normal driving loads. Mind you, I have been doing a lot of short trips lately. But the solar used to power the starter batteries when the VSR opened when it was parked.
It's got me a bit flummoxed, if that's a word.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 06:51:03 PM »
Do you have an Ultraguage fitted?

Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »
I have a Scangauge fitted but I think I know what the problem might be. I went outside just now in the dark to get something from the Glamper and saw that the interior lights in the Cruiser were on.
I recall that I turned them on in an indoor car park on Friday to read the paper while Denise went in to renew on our Vino Collapso supplies. I don't remember turning them off.
it turns out that I may be the problem after all. Which still leaves the solar.
Keith

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 08:58:34 PM »
Wouldnt be the first time a VSR [  AKA solenoid ] stuffed up . .Sparky set one up in the oldmans camper van for the Engel .after about 18 mths it failed to switch .... the second battery wasnt getting charged ..
Replaced the VSR and it lasted about 2.5 years .. Went to a marine manual switch after that and never had another problem .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 10:14:13 PM »
Ah, the old "interior light flattening the battery trick"...third time this week...(apologies to Agent 86) ;D ;D

Had a 12v flouro in the back of my old XB pv years ago.
The switch was on but the tube was dead. Didn't know what was causing the battery to run down.
Finally worked it out, but not until after I'd replaced a perfectly good battery.... ::)

:cheers: :cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 10:19:01 PM »
there's been many a time when you come out in the morning and see the interior light on. The nervous turn of the key to get the click or the "come on you bastard, !#@*!! start!!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 06:45:32 AM »
The 200 series has a 20 min timer on the interior lights, so you can't leave them on....unless like Keith, you turn them on manually !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 07:32:23 AM »
Have I permanently buggered the batteries?
Keith

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 07:51:51 AM »
Have I permanently buggered the batteries?
Keith

I’d put them on a decent charger and see how they go.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 08:08:29 AM »
The 200 series has a 20 min timer on the interior lights, so you can't leave them on....unless like Keith, you turn them on manually !

I think most modern cars have a timer...15 mins on the Pajero
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »
I’d put them on a decent charger and see how they go.
I had them on a trickle charge yesterday for about 7 hours and then ran the car on a fast idle for two hours after that.
It fired up first go this morning and the auto sparky says that the starter batteries are fine. But the deep cycle auxiliary is buggered.
he is going to trouble shoot that today.
Keith