Author Topic: Help with choosing a camper  (Read 3370 times)

Offline JeffreyGeofferson

• Learning the Ropes
Help with choosing a camper
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:38:49 PM »
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice, in case I’ve missed some options in my trawling of this forum and internet and camping shows!

My requirements are:

* Low tow ball weight (under 150kg)
* Tare under 1400kg
* Not too long (under 5.5m)
* Quick set up and pack up
* Well built and off-road capable (preferable Aussie)
* Preferably new and under $45k
* Space for a family of 4
* Preferably not a soft floor
* Not a caravan (outside cooking)

My search for a suitable camper started with hybrids (narrowed down to Modcon C3 and Lifestyle Iconn), but realised with how we like to camp it would be a struggle with something this heavy, plus I’m just not keen on towing something heavy. We then looked closely at a Patriot X1 and hired one to see what we thought, but we’re not keen on the rooftop configuration (too high). We would also prefer to avoid a soft floor due to the pack up time with wiping the tent base and general canvas maintenance, as well as the larger footprint it requires (particularly when drying out at home). For these reasons we narrowed down our needs to a hard floor rear fold and have looked closely at a Cub Escape, but have found their dry ball weight is currently 162kg.

I’ve found the Trackabout Extenda ticks a lot of options, have had a quote previously and they have been awesome to deal with plus have a great reputation. But just the soft floor tent to deal with. That being said, given the lack of a suitable alternative, this may be the best fit for us.

But I thought I’d check in with this knowledgeable group for some ideas!

Cheers

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Help with choosing a camper
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:13:49 PM »
Something out of left field...................not asoft floor, not a hard floor...............
Check out Camprite campers. Aussie made, Aussie designed.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emyswag%2Eorg%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D55966%2E0&share_tid=55966&share_fid=54922&share_type=t&link_source=app

Unsure if the weights match what you're chasing!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 01:17:57 PM »
With those weights, the ultimates might be up your alley with an outside stove. Finished ball weight on an extenda will blow past 150 kg.

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »
And if you are up in the Ultimate price range, then the new Patriot X3 does have an outside kitchen, plus a bedside coffee machine.  ;D ;D

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 04:39:07 PM »
I would have said Ultimate or Patriot. I own an Ultimate and my Sister has a Patriot. Both are good campers but the new price is higher than your range.
The ultimate having an inside and outside kitchen is great. We only cook inside if the weather is really, really bad, but it is a nice option to have. We have three klds and use the under room for their sleeping arrangements. Setup can be really quick for an overnighter, we don't even detach the vehicle for those stops. My wife loves the comfort and luxury of the sofa, king size bed and full kitchen.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 08:41:59 PM »
The Air Opus OP4 ticks most box's or goes close.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 07:47:17 AM »
 Just read no Caravan sorry,
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 07:49:41 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline JeffreyGeofferson

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 03:54:56 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I have already researched all those suggested, and although they are all great trailers I think I’ve realised a hard floor is what will hit the mark for us. Might just have to cop a tow ball weight over 150kg. The missus loves the idea of a solid empty hard floor area for the dogs and kids, otherwise I’d probably be looking at a hybrid set up! Currently narrowed down on a Cub Escape. They seem to fit the most hard floor area in as compared with others, which I think is due to them having limited storage up front compared with say a KK.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 08:59:38 AM »
If you are willing to change to a 2nd hand unit then this brings Tvans (and other high end campers) into the mix.  Tvans function like a hardfloor but have the advantage of a hard cover over the bed area which not only keeps out the rain, makes wet packups a breeze but also is much quieter to sleep in.  The kids bedding can be easily stored on the bed making setups quick.  They are also extremely tough and hard wearing.  We have a MkIV which we have found great.
The following users thanked this post: plusnq