Author Topic: Cub escape heavy tow ball?  (Read 2825 times)

Offline JeffreyGeofferson

• Learning the Ropes
Cub escape heavy tow ball?
« on: April 15, 2020, 07:57:36 AM »
Hey all,

Looking quite closely at a new Cub Escape, but was surprised to see their updated tow ball weight for 2020 is 162kg (making it the heaviest in their range). This is with a rare of 1076kg. Does anyone else think this sounds a bit high?

I would be looking at optioning up the second water tank which is 80litres, which sits just in front of the axel, and the rear 100l sits behind the axel. I would imagine when the tanks are full this would reduce the ball weight a bit? But then of course the fridge, Jerry cans, gas bottles and other storage are up close to the drawbar!

Hoping to get some feedback from other fairly new Escape owners on what their tow ball is fully loaded? I mention fairly new as the weight seems to have increased a bit over the years.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Cub escape heavy tow ball?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:12:19 AM »
Wait til you install the fridge, fill it, fill up the utility box on the front, load the kitchen with utensils and the pantry with food and tins, put 2 jerry cans in the holders and fill them.........pretty standard for that style of camper. Yes they are front biased.

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 11:50:14 AM »
Thanks GBC. I thought that might be the case with rear folds when I was reading on here that the KK and CC rear folds are over 200kg! Might be back to the drawing board for me...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 11:51:33 AM »
Thanks GBC. I thought that might be the case with rear folds when I was reading on here that the KK and CC rear folds are over 200kg! Might be back to the drawing board for me...
There was someoen with <250kg on ball while back ... love to try and push that around on soft ground without jockey wheel digging to china. LOL
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 01:11:06 PM »

Forward folds are no better....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 01:15:00 PM »

Yes, they are engineered that way. You can't have soft suspension and no ball weight with trailers - everything is a compromise and to use the rear (and forward) folds you need a car that can handle them.

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 10:51:27 AM »
I have a 2003 Kimberley Camper which has a ball weight of 180 kgs, which surprised be a lot when I finally found out. I always knew it was heavy but I thought that was overkill. It does tow well though, and the fourby does settle a bit when we hook up.

That was why I was always interested in the fact that the Ultimates are only in the 75 - 80 kg range, the fourbys mustn't notice when they are dropped onto the tow bar. I used to like watching the demos at the caravan shows where the dealer would lift up the coupling and then pushed the whole thing around. Of course he could have been Dean Lukin's brother.

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 04:01:33 PM »
Yeah I love the KK and CC, would probably be my choice if I wasn’t worried about tow weight. I think the Cub Escape is always going to come off with a lighter towball compared with these purely because it has fewer storage options up front, its really just has the fridge box and Jerry can/gas holders, whereas those two have quite large storage areas. Seriously, choosing a camper trailer has proven to be the hardest purchase decision of my life..