Author Topic: Camping at the Finke Desert Race?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline greentreck

• Learning the Ropes
  • Almost living the dream
Camping at the Finke Desert Race?
« on: February 21, 2020, 12:09:11 PM »
Hi Brain's trust - we are planning on being at the Finke this year - Can anyone give us some advice on camping along the track?  We will be fully self contained and would prefer not to be with 1000's of others  cheers

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Camping at the Finke Desert Race?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
I went there about 8 years ago but I was renting a unit in town. Worked for a gold sponsor...so had free entry, food and drinks.  Bloody freezing if that wind picks up.  If I was going to camp I would ensure I had heaps of firewood , warm clothes and bedding plus I,d get there a couple of days earlier to get a spot along the route. Maybe contact the motorcycle shops in Alice Springs...reckon they would be able to answer questions.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Daz100

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Yeah... Why Not
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 06:39:21 AM »
If you head south of deep well, crowd does thin a bit, we usually go about 60+k's down the track, then camp about 100m or so off the track. This keeps the camp away from main track for dust etc when race is on.

Then you simply jump in the car, throw some chairs in and wander trackside for when the bikes and cars come thru., set up on trackside upwind, so not covered in dust.

Common sense prevails, dont sit on the outside of corners.

Can be chilly, a little rain is good as it keeps the dust down.

Have fun and enjoy a great weekend

Cheers Daz

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:50:57 AM »
Might be a good idea to be conservative with fuel as well. Ran into a bloke who had to leave his van by the side of the road an drive slowly into Kulgera when the Marla Roadhouse ran out of diesel after the race.

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown