Author Topic: The Good Oil on Cairns  (Read 5200 times)

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
The Good Oil on Cairns
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »
Hi folks,

It looks like I might have a job offer in Cairns and I am seriously thinking about taking it. I have not traveled that far north before having only lived previously in NT and SE Qld.

I was keen to get some information from those up that way about living in Cairns. What are the best areas to live etc etc. Plusses and minuses about living in FNQ - that sort of thing.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers, Paul
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
The Good Oil on Cairns
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 05:47:12 PM »
Humid, sand flies, crocs, blue bottles. They say it's paradise but it's just hell.

Queensland is user friendly but FNQ is look but don't touch.

Nice in winter but.....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:49:04 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
Re: The Good Oil on Cairns
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:51:10 PM »
Just watch yourself up there, there is a dodgy real estate guy, before you know it you'll be halfway up to the cape & he will drunk all ya beer.

Other than that it's paradise
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »
After living away from Cairns for 20 years, (interstate for 17 years) I moved back here 5 years ago.  I have worked in every state at various locations at one time or another. Cairns I my number one choice considing climate, cost of living, infrastructure, affordability, beauty, outdoor lifestyle, weather temps and of course being near the coast.

The pluses are everything expect for the minuses. The minuses are December and Jan. You will find your first summer pretty hard but like any place you will aclimatise. Great beaches that have stingers and crocs.

Like all places, there are certain suburbs to stay away from. I can PM them to you if you like as I would rather not put my opinion on a forum that may upset members that are happily residing in the places I would prefer not to live.  Good luck.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:08:51 PM »
Just watch yourself up there, there is a dodgy real estate guy, before you know it you'll be halfway up to the cape & he will drunk all ya beer.

Other than that it's paradise

I would never do that.

Paul

I moved to Cairns in 1996 and love it up here.  Summer is hot but as you have lived in the NT it would be a breeze for you. Similar lifestyle as the NT very laid back.

Regarding where to live the northern beach suburbs are popular. It will depend where you will be working, if any kids need schooling still etc. If you are going to rent an average 4 bed 2 bath home is between $410 to $500 a week depending what style of home and if you want a pool.

Happy to chat anytime 0407287620.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Oldandslow

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
We spent seven years up at Daintree and for the most part I loved it.

November to April the weather is extreme and we never acclimatized. The rest of the year the weather is perfect.

The reef was the main attraction to me and on a good day there is no other place in the world that I would rather be. The reef is much better north of Port Douglas than south of it but it is all good. The downside is that there can be month long periods where it is not possible to get out there in less than a forty foot boat.

The tablelands are a great place to spend time when it is too hot on the coast.

Shopping for the missus is great in Cairns and there are plenty of good places to eat out.

Airport is central and easy to access though parking is expensive.

If you can handle the heat and can afford the lifestyle you will probably love it.

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:14:28 PM »
G'day Paul,

Mate i was born in Cairns........ moved away for about 12 yrs from mid '90s till 2007, but have been back in Cairns since then........

Like all places there's good and bad areas......... i live on the sth side of Cairns at Edmonton (Bentley Park) and have found it all pretty good. the road from Edmonton to the city has received some major upgrades just recently, so travelling to and from the city is now pretty much a breeze.
Some of the old suburbs like Manunda, Manoora and Mooroobool have some dodgy parts and generally carry a bad reputation, though upper mooroobool, kanimbla etc are all pretty good.... again in sayong that, there are good families that have been in these suburbs for decades, and can't see what all the fuss is about, and as i've just bought a house again just recently there were some places that i checked out in these suburbs and the streets were all pretty good..... though i ended up buying on the Sth side again.
Don't rule out Gordonvale either, it's about 25 klms sth of cairns, past where i live..... it's an old cane farming town, still has it's sugar mill etc...... if u want the country town feel it's a good little town (good pies at the bakery!)
Then there's the northern beaches..... our local Cape Crusader and Real Estate lord mr McGirr can give you the low down on the North Side, that's his turf, and i'm not stepping on his toes... :)

I'm actually enjoying living back in Cairns now, our kids are grown up (almost) and the Mrs and i are getting a chance to take advantage of the night life in town, restaraunts etc..... not to mention you are based in the biggest town prior to departing to all things further north....... I reckon the size of Cairns is good too, you can pretty much get anything you want here, and the place is still as layed back as ever.... there's plenty of school options etc for kids, most schools are good, though there's a couple of not so great ones..... which i won't mention on here..

i'm happy to give you any info you want via PM o rhere on the thread, if you have any further questions.....

All the best with ur decision.....

Barrabart.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:16:55 PM by Barrabart »
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Mik01

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Scenic Rim 4x4
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Lots of tourists. Can get annoying. Unless you are a single bloke!!!!  ;D
I found cost of living was high due to tourists? Maybe my memory isn't so good.  ;D that will happen when you need to drink HEAPS OF BEER cos every day is summer!
You will sweat in the pool. Sometimes better to jump in, then go sit inside in the air con.
Rain forests are awesome. Kuranda etc is great.
Lots to do.
But you will struggle if you are an AFL supporter! It's another world up there. Enjoy
Contact me for special MySwag prices on 4x4 accessories!
http://scenicrim4x4.com.au

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
Lots of tourists. Can get annoying. Unless you are a single bloke!!!!  ;D
I found cost of living was high due to tourists? Maybe my memory isn't so good.  ;D that will happen when you need to drink HEAPS OF BEER cos every day is summer!
You will sweat in the pool. Sometimes better to jump in, then go sit inside in the air con.
Rain forests are awesome. Kuranda etc is great.
Lots to do.
But you will struggle if you are an AFL supporter! It's another world up there. Enjoy

What's this AFL you speak of???? ;D
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Sawed-Off

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
If you don't like camping, fishing, and 4wding, this isn't the place for you. ;)
Matt.

Rootin', Tootin', & Shootin'. It's the Cowboy Way.

'97 HZJ80R Land Cruiser Dual Cab
'05 Tambo "The Cooper" : Nights used - 2015: 13  2014: 34  2013: 36  2012: 31

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:04:19 PM »
Mate, just do it...Its "gods" country up hear and the lifestyle is like no other..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
You can always live up on the tablelands, natural air conditioning, cheaper power bills, probably cheaper house prices , it just would mean driving down the range every day to work.

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
You can always live up on the tablelands, natural air conditioning, cheaper power bills, probably cheaper house prices , it just would mean driving down the range every day to work.

That sounds perfect. Not a huge fan of humidity. My research tells me cairns is a tad expensive for a regional centre.

And the Taipans are an ordinary basketball team.  :laugh:
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 06:52:01 PM »
That sounds perfect. Not a huge fan of humidity. My research tells me cairns is a tad expensive for a regional centre.

And the Taipans are an ordinary basketball team.  :laugh:
We have a basketball team?
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline RosieM11

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »
Hey Paul,
We moved from Brisbane almost 7 years ago, Cairns has very good weather, can get a bit hot but there is a lot of people from your location working in this country town. I work with a lady who moved from Tassie and she loves it here and survives the heat and humidity ok. The biggest bother for us is the crocs, we love fishing but think twice about it in the salt water or in the rivers, instead we go up to Tinaroo Dam. Keep to yourself is the best advice I can give you, you will meet people at work who may advise you about meeting like minded people with simular interest for you and yours to enjoy.
There is good and bad in every location, Cairns is truly beautiful filled with some good people, good luck with your future ventures.
                                                                                                                                                                                       Cheers, Rosie
Freedom is a choice.....

bentnose

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
We spent seven years up at Daintree and for the most part I loved it.
hi oldandslow. ive just got back from a couple of weeks touring around cairns. the Daintree was disappointing. I asked one person where they shopped and he said Mossman. Can I ask you what the heck goes on up that way? and what do people do. I was expecting hippies and alternative lifestylers etc but couldn't find any
cheers

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 10:21:20 AM »
That sounds perfect. Not a huge fan of humidity.
then stay where you are...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home